·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Rendering of Abuja Light Rail Courtesy of CCECC

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
And Gar3th, there are maps of the Abuja Light Rail. You posted this one yourself. Here I am reposting it again. This is another Station that I found called the Airport Station (This station is part of Lot3) In this particular map above, you cannot see it, because it is cut off from the picture, but it is 2 stations after Idu.
Yes I posted that and on no where on the project board did it mention the word light rail. That map looks like a commuter rail map and that's what started my confusion a while back.

But I do see that wuse station is different from Abuja station.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
The Chinese call it Suburban Rail. It is also called Abuja Rail Mass Transit and it has also been called the Abuja Light Rail. They are all the same thing.

The Abuja Light Rail has not progressed as much as the Abuja-Kaduna Line, but most of the progress that has been made has been made in LOT 3. Which is where all these renders are coming from and also most of these updates, if not all.

Reactions: jonasry

·
Registered
305 Posts
Can someone of authority update the status of this project(thread) from approved to under construction. Construction has been ongoing for a couple of years now. Thanks!
I wanted to create an Inforgraphic about it, i have to register to do that, i couldn't find a website where you do NOT have to register, sorry about that

So Abuja Light Rail due to be completed in 2015 has a total length of 45 km consisting of Lot 1A and 3 which are under construction

Lot 1A has four stations :
Gwagwa Station
Deidei Station
Jibi Station
Gwazango Station

Lot 3 has eight stations:
Abuja Metro Station
National Stadium Station
National Park Station [Wuye District]
Ring Road II Station
Wupa Station
Idu Transfer Station
Airport East Station
Airport Main Station

Initially it was supposed to be 60KM that is Lots 1A,1B and 3 but lot 1B consisting of the following stations Karmo,Gwarimpa,Ring Road III,Jabi II,Jabi I, Utako, Employment Center, Wuse, Transportation Center (where it would link up with Lot1A),Garki and Ring Road I were cancelled and Byazhin and Kubwa station was removed from Lot 1A
I suppose there would be awarded in the future at an exorbitant price, the price difference of the above stations that was removed total length of 15KM was amazingly in the range of $10million

The Main Station is on Olusegun Obasanjo Expressway in Wuse, where currently it houses the NNPC Mega Station but would be demolished for the station

Train Frequency: Every 5 Minutes
Estimated Ridership: 700,000 daily
Designed Maximum Operational Speed : 100Km/hr
Airport section

Hope that clears things more, ask more questions if needed

Reactions: Tegh7

·
Registered
305 Posts
In Total the Original Abuja Light Rail has 6 lots totaling 285 KM but the FCT Administration is planning to add an extra Lot, Lot 7 with a distance of 15 KM

Lot 2 which would join Lot 1 is passing through :
Central Business District
Asokoro
Nyanya

Keep an eye for this post i would update it to include the routes on Lots 4,5,6

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Courtesy of Samuel Olubukola Kevin

The two lines on the left are the Lot 1A lines that go from Idu to Kubwa

The line on the far right is the Airport Line (Lot 3)

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Thinking about the development of this "light rail" system (which actually looks like a commuter rail system linking Abuja with Nyanya, Kubwa and Lugbo), will the Abuja area ever be dense enough for a metro system?

161 - 180 of 623 Posts