Expert
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nigeria: Coy Commits U.S.$1Billion to Transform Zuma Rock

Leadership (Abuja)

29 May 2008
Posted to the web 29 May 2008

Pamela Sombo

The contractors handling the conversion of Zuma Rock into a tourist haven by equipping it with world-class facilities have disclosed that the sum of $1 billion has been set aside for the commencement of the first phase of the construction work.

Towards this, the company has solicited the support of the Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC) towards making the project a befitting tourist attraction in the world.

The managing director of the company, Texas Pacific limited, a subsidiary of Coastline Group, Mr. Tom Patterson, made this known when a visiting delegation of the company paid a working visit to the corporation to solicit support and cooperation towards making the project a befitting tourist haven.

He disclosed that the company is set to build a resource centre on the rock which will cost over $1 billion with the aim of constructing classical restaurants, retreat and business suites on the rock.

The managing director, who further said the rock has been zoomed with a satellite, revealed that this has enabled them to understand fully all that is required and also enabled them know the problems involved.

He however said the dream of turning the rock into an attraction for tourists from all over the world to visit is very possible and towards achieving this, the company is going to construct a Disney kind of amusement park, water park, amphi theatre and an African village. And all these will have the diverse Nigerian cultures showcased in them.

This, he continued, will make the place have the African touch, so that tourists coming from other parts of the world will have a feel of other cultures instead of leaving their homes to come and see the same things they left behind.

He pointed out that tourism is the first in terms of employment revenue generation in the whole world and the project will empower a lot of Nigerians and even other people from other parts of the world.

"Abuja has the opportunity to reach out and help both children and adults and still reach out to the whole world. This is an opportunity for Nigerians to rise to the top and be the strongest country in revenue generation," he revealed.

Tourism, he reaffirms, outshines oil and the determination of the present administration to make tourism a priority is very good for the economic development of a country as tourism changes a country.

In the remarks, the director-general of the NTDC, Otunba Olusegun Runsewe, disclosed that the corporation will partner and work with them to see that the project was achieved adding that Nigeria was endowed and the time was now for its potentials to be felt.

According to him, Nigeria offered a wide variety of tourist attractions such as rivers and ocean beaches that were ideal for swimming and other water sports, unique wildlife, vast unspoiled nature ranging from tropical forest, waterfalls, some new rapidly growing cities and climatic conditions in some parts were particularly conducive to holidaying.

The DG who reiterated that categorically that 'oil is good but tourism is better" expressed optimism that by 2018, Nigeria tourism will become the preferred destination in Africa.

According to him, tourism was the highest employer of labour today in many countries and NTDC was set to bring people to Nigeria to boost its economy through tourism. It was for this cause that the NTDC would support this project towards ensuring that Nigeria tourism became the preferred destination in the world, he stated.

·
Expert
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Zuma rock is actually located in a small town anmed Mandilla in Niger state, however, it's proximity to Abuja cannot be ignored.

·
Expert
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any renders ? It's mentionned that the project is approuved ...what is exactly approuved it s basically a theme park ? ?
Its an amusement park, hotel, convention centre and 'African Village'. I'm currently sifting through the internet for renders and such but it is a huge project.

·
Registered
40,873 Posts
I want to see renders, another amusemnt park when the one that should be ready by now have not taken off the ground although it was annouced years back.

What about Abuja Technology Village?? All great initiatives and no concrete action. I am really frustrated at these kind of news. They are just plain lip service.
The only true project that has taken off so far is Tinapa Resort and it seems to be white elephant (so far).

really Nigerian journalists must be on drugs to have those fantasies.

·
TUNISIAN MODERATOR
3,071 Posts
I want to see renders, another amusemnt park when the one that should be ready by now have not taken off the ground although it was annouced years back.

What about Abuja Technology Village?? All great initiatives and no concrete action. I am really frustrated at these kind of news. They are just plain lip service.
The only true project that has taken off so far is Tinapa Resort and it seems to be white elephant (so far).

really Nigerian journalists must be on drugs to have those fantasies.
well their job is to bring the news is"nt it I think in this case it s propbably the investors that are on drugs ...

it is indeed frustrating when they launch such huge projects without any solid proposals or masterplans ...I Think it s lack of professionalism and let me tell you that Nigerai is not the only country faciing these fairytales ...^^

·
TUNISIAN MODERATOR
3,071 Posts
Its an amusement park, hotel, convention centre and 'African Village'. I'm currently sifting through the internet for renders and such but it is a huge project.

I bet you they did not even post them on the internet , the african real eastate industry is far behind and they don"t realize the sales potential of internet :bash:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts