Contractor: CCECC

Reactions: Naijaborn

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
News

Ex-Minister Oduah bags Performance Award at Akwaaba show

Ex-Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah has bag a Legends of Travel Award at the just conclude Abuja Bantaba, the meeting events for travel professionals, organised by the Akwaaba Travel Market.

According to the organisers of the event, Oduah left a mark on the “aviation sands of times that will take a long time to be surpassed” affirming that she upgraded the Airports, transformed some into international Airports and started the construction of brand new international terminals in Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Enugu. She transformed the Airport environment in Nigeria.”

Oduah recently received an award from the Ikenga Award for Excellence Foundation for her enviable performance as Minister of Aviation and her transformation of the sector.

It is ironic that commendations and awards are being given to Oduah whose tenure was turbulent and controversial, but indications show that these approval ratings of what she did as Minister was not and cannot be eclipsed by the negative campaigns that led to her removal as Minister.

The organiser said Oduah was able to remodel and restructure 11 airports out of the 22 airports owned by the Federal Government and kick-started the comprehensive rehabilitation of the other 11 airports of which work had reached advanced stage before she was removed.

“Under Oduah, the Federal Government reached a deal with Chinese Exim Bank and the Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) for the building of five new airport terminals at the airports in Kano, Enugu, Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja; work has started at the site of the new terminals and the constriction is billed to be completed by early 2016.”

What Oduah has achieved in the short space of time is already boosting air travel in Nigeria as more domestic carriers are coming in to join the market while new foreign airlines are coming to operate in Nigeria, so that the country will take full advantage of its high population of international travellers, the Akwaaba team told reporters.

“The former Minister of Aviation also introduced Aerotropolis, which is simply described as the airport city, which objective is to create businesses around the four designated airports in Kano, Abuja, Lagos and Port Harcourt and develop a city of enterprises that would be galvanised by travellers and airport users to boost commerce and employment in the country.” It said in a statement.
Status

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Courtesy of Tolulope Borisade

The new CCECC Terminal is also Under Construction at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport - April 2014

From the Aviation News Thread

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Tegh7

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All Credits for the First Image is to, kalu ‏@kaluaja

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Courtesy of kalu @kaluaja

All Credit to kalu @kaluaja (I believe he is even a member of this forum)​

Reactions: Unak78 and Tegh7

·
Registered
519 Posts
Interesting scale...although I think not adequate on the long term (this 40,000 sqm may be sufficient til 2020 but not more).

And I do hope this will not be yet another box design by Stella and Co. They are so repetitive and boring.

Any idea how many contact gates this facility will have?

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
well this is done by the Chinese..the remodelling jobs were done by various Nigerian contractors and African architects. So by default, these terminal designs (Which are a different contract entirely) will be different.

There is no way they will be similar...to what we already have. The Chinese have their own way of doing things.

I do not really know ANYTHING about the designs...because like you said in the other thread, it would appear that the Nigerian government are being tight lipped about the specs. However what I do know, just by looking at the aerotropolis plans, historic plans etc is that these terminal expansions in Nigeria's Key cities are not the end of the line...they are just one phase!

Do not take my word for it...but I think Lagos for example will add another terminal, on top of the one that is U/C and other facilities as well on top of what is existing!

So Lagos will be looking at over 100,000 sqm of expansion ultimately, In my opinion!

but actually just based on what Nigeria has built/building in the past 7 years I think we might be leading the way in Africa in terms of square meterage. I haven't done the exact maths.....but Nigeria is easily over the 200,000 sqm threshold...in terms of NEW facilities that have been built or are being built in the last 7 or so years! I am not talking about proposals and I am not even talking about rehabilitation!

If we add the remodelling works.....that is even more. We should be somewhere between 200,000 and 250,000 square metres of airport facilities built or being built in the past 7 years...just based off rough calculations.

The CCECC terminals alone are 164,000...then once we add all the other various jobs like MM2, Gat Terminals, Asaba, Osun, Cargo Terminals, Akwa Ibom etc it starts to swell even more.

I know in other parts of Africa there are single airport expansions that are like 80,000, 60,000 etc.....but that is all piecemeal...Nigeria has so many projects that once added up..I think puts us ahead POSSIBLY. Angola is another country like Nigeria that underwent various simultaneous terminals.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Dear Tbite, All
I have been keenly following the news. Channels TV the other day showed footage of the Finance Minister (Dr. Okonjo -Iweala) touring Abuja's new terminal project, and it was confirmed the terminal would be complete by December. In my opinion, that is not achievable, since the roof itself was nowhere to be seen, not to mention cladding materials and internal finishes.

In any case let us revive this thread with weekly progress posts if possible!

By comparison, the 3 million passengers /annum terminal in Abuja compares exactly to that in Montevideo (Carraso International Airport). That one was designed by Rafael Vinoli and is simply stunning architecture wise.
http://www.architonic.com/aisht/carrasco-international-airport-rafael-vinoly-architects/5100767

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The new terminals should be completed by 2015.

not 2014.

All these CCECC new terminals are all similar in appearance. I think the Chinese have 0 creativity in their department. Lagos and Abuja are pretty much the exact same terminal.

Enugu is a little bit different but similar. I haven't seen the rendering for Port Harcourt (The new CCECC one, not the renovation)...but it is probably similar as well.

Even the Sam Mbakwe renovation looks similar.......as does the one in Yola.

It is just the same basic engineering. A box design, with a roof overhang and supports.

* But let me add the domestic airports I mentioned were not designed by the Chinese, but my African Designers.

Rarely do we have see real architectural creativity in Nigeria, like the Carrasco International Airport that you have made mention of. Which is why I get particularly excited by projects like the Cultural Centre in Abuja, Summit Hills in Calabar etc

·
Registered
94 Posts
The new terminals should be completed by 2015.

not 2014.

All these CCECC new terminals are all similar in appearance. I think the Chinese have 0 creativity in their department. Lagos and Abuja are pretty much the exact same terminal.

Enugu is a little bit different but similar. I haven't seen the rendering for Port Harcourt (The new CCECC one, not the renovation)...but it is probably similar as well.

Even the Sam Mbakwe renovation looks similar.......as does the one in Yola.

It is just the same basic engineering. A box design, with a roof overhang and supports.

* But let me add the domestic airports I mentioned were not designed by the Chinese, but my African Designers.

Rarely do we have see real architectural creativity in Nigeria, like the Carrasco International Airport that you have made mention of. Which is why I get particularly excited by projects like the Cultural Centre in Abuja, Summit Hills in Calabar etc
Agreed! Looking at the CECC logo itself says it all, basic font no artwork which reflects on their designs itself - lacking in artistic or creative verve. Enough said.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Agreed! Looking at the CECC logo itself says it all, basic font no artwork which reflects on their designs itself - lacking in artistic or creative verve. Enough said.
Huh?! Please what does the logo of "Julius Berger" (Akwa Ibom Stadium), Boygues (Calabar Cultural Centre - Summit Hills) or even Salini (Abuja Cultural Centre) look like?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Actually I read somewhere that all the design concepts for the various terminals were done by Nigerian architects - NOT Chinese.
For your information, the Brazzaville new Airport terminal (in CONGO) was done by CCECC and that is a marvelous piece of architecture:

http://www.egis-group.com/action/news/inauguration-new-passenger-terminal-brazzaville-congo

EDIT: It seams that I have gotten it wrong on the above, it may not be CCECC who built that terminal, but it's still beautiful.

I would not be hasty in finger-pointing to the Chinese, who most probably would reply "It wasn't my drawing"...
The Chinese are only financing+building it. At least this is the arrangement they have in Nigeria's airports upgrade.

·
MARIO
95 Posts
Do these Chinese guys even have a render for these buildings?? Surely not just a boring box all of em ����

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually I read somewhere that all the design concepts for the various terminals were done by Nigerian architects - NOT Chinese.
For your information, the Brazzaville new Airport terminal (in CONGO) was done by CCECC and that is a marvelous piece of architecture:

http://www.egis-group.com/action/news/inauguration-new-passenger-terminal-brazzaville-congo

EDIT: It seams that I have gotten it wrong on the above, it may not be CCECC who built that terminal, but it's still beautiful.

I would not be hasty in finger-pointing to the Chinese, who most probably would reply "It wasn't my drawing"...
The Chinese are only financing+building it. At least this is the arrangement they have in Nigeria's airports upgrade.
Well if the Chinese did not design it.....it would not surprise me either. Because like I said.....the CCECC Terminals are similar to the local designs that we have already seen in Enugu, Owerri, Benin, Port Harcourt, Yola, Abuja etc.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Is this project suspended pending election results or what?
I haven't seen any recent pictures since November of last year.:eek:hno:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Huh?! Please what does the logo of "Julius Berger" (Akwa Ibom Stadium), Boygues (Calabar Cultural Centre - Summit Hills) or even Salini (Abuja Cultural Centre) look like?
You're the one bringing other companies to play. My criticism is targeted solely at CECC. The portfolio of the other architectural companies you have mentioned speak for themselves. Not CECC though whose designs are basic, functional and again lacking in style and architectural verve. I whish you wouldn't make me repeat myself lol! They were one of the companies who put forward a tender to build the Abuja National Stadium - I am not saying it is a master class but CECC would have done a whole lot worse in the style department. Thank God they didn't build that stadium.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You're the one bringing other companies to play. My criticism is targeted solely at CECC. The portfolio of the other architectural companies you have mentioned speak for themselves. Not CECC though whose designs are basic, functional and again lacking in style and architectural verve. I whish you wouldn't make me repeat myself lol! They were one of the companies who put forward a tender to build the Abuja National Stadium - I am not saying it is a master class but CECC would have done a whole lot worse in the style department. Thank God they didn't build that stadium.
First, the contract for the design of the Abuja Stadium was separate from the construction contract (which is quite common for many construction projects, no doubt including many of those "basic" ones executed by CECC). The contract for the design of the stadium was awarded to Schlaich Bergermann & Partners, which were responsible for the architectural design, execution planning, as well as constructional supervision of the stadium.

Nonetheless I wish you wouldn't make me repeat myself, but if you believe that "looking at the CECC logo itself says it all" as indicative of their work "lacking in artistic or creative verve", then can you please tell us what the logos of those other listed companies (whose cited work cannot be said to be "lacking in artistic or creative verve") look like - if not similarly "basic font no artwork"? Point is, the leap of logic was illogical.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts