Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone has uploaded the video of the truck colliding with a car while changing lanes on a recent edition of A Current Affair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1LM8TtSLZ0
&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qth5itKkZo&mode=related&search=

The incident raises several issues

*The lawless behaviour of truckies on our roads
*Who should drive in the fast lane
*Unlawful driving behaviour

And then who was responsible - Channel Nine, The truck driver, or the driver of the Mercedes?

I will stick to the argument that the truck driver is at fault as he did not indicate that he was changing lanes and he made the change too prematurely.

The driver of the Mercedes is lucky to have escaped that crash. His car was fortuante to not roll either.

Channel Nine should of done its civil duty and pulled over to help. I will agree with Channel nine did not aggrevate the truckie as the truckie according to the video got close to the car.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
The truck driver does indicate. You can see his left blinker flashing. The Merc may or may not have indicated, you can't see the front indicators because they are out of the frame. Also Channel 9 should have pulled ove to help, but since they were so close to the tunnel exit it make more sense to stop outside. The last thing you want is another Burnley Tunnel incident.

It's too difficult to tell exactly who is to blame since you can't tell what the Merc was doing.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Truck (he did indicate), apparently its a massive blind spot to the left of the rigs, he should have checked it properly - the Merc was infront and in the lane when he was hit (the truck would not have seen the merc indicate anyways, as the side repeaters are on the mirrors that face forward). I hate trucks, but respect them all the same. ACA did play the entire length video, and you can see the truckie playing with paperwork on the dash aswell...

How was that truckie when he said it was OK to drive that close (1.5-3 metres) because he can see over you, pffft, what if the car infront has a sudden mechanical fault or tyre delamination.

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
I don't know what this really has to do with truck drivers. It is a simple case of two drivers swinging into one lane and failing to check their blind spots - happens all the time. The truck driver definantly does indicate. The car driver should have been more aware of the truck's blind spot and checked his own blind spot, and vice versa for the truck - they are both at fault.

I suppose it's time for all us motorbike/bike riders go ape shit at car drivers - happens all the time to us. But then again, we don't ride in car blind spots, as it is only logical.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Perhaps they need to introduce the rule that they have in other parts of the world and that is "no changing lanes while driving in a tunnel".

·
Registered
683 Posts
I read in the paper on Sunday the car was all over the road and wouldn't let the truck pass every time it tried to.

ACA were in front of the car filming the whole thing.

There's little doubt in my mind ACA have set it up so there is an accident, otherwise there would be no story.

These programs have a track record for manufacturing storys.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Truck (he did indicate), apparently its a massive blind spot to the left of the rigs, he should have checked it properly - the Merc was infront and in the lane when he was hit (the truck would not have seen the merc indicate anyways, as the side repeaters are on the mirrors that face forward). I hate trucks, but respect them all the same. ACA did play the entire length video, and you can see the truckie playing with paperwork on the dash aswell...

How was that truckie when he said it was OK to drive that close (1.5-3 metres) because he can see over you, pffft, what if the car infront has a sudden mechanical fault or tyre delamination.
The truck did indicate, but should of done it before making the change. It was done too late. The truck should be giving way to the Mercedes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Why is this an issue? ACA pretty much set the accident up to manufacture the story. No-one should take anything ACA/TT says seriously.

BTW, it's should have, not should of.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
^ I agree.
These shows shit me so badly - unfortunately I watch them regularly! Usually to see how stupid they are!!

For example: Tonight ACA had this story crucifying Allan Moss for earning $33 million dollars a year and the next fucking story is praising Johny Depp who probably earns that much each fucking movie!

Then again nothing is better than the 99% to 1% "phone polls" on Today Tonight........LOL!!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
ACA and Today Tonight prey on the elderly and stupid. My 90 year old grandmother bless her soul believes every word they spout.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
The version where it shows what the car is doing far before the car enters the tunnel backs up the truckies claims. You can clearly see the car repeatedly drifts between two lanes, and she does it once in the tunnel.

The Mercedes driver should have seen the truck indicating, it appears he randomly drove into that lane.

The truck driver was trying to overtake the ACA car, who were in the right hand lane, an OVERTAKING lane. Yes, it wasn't the best idea to overtake in the tunnel, nor change lanes (same applies to the Mercedes driver). Plus, trucks do have a blind spot to the left, so he might not've seen the mercedes driver.

If you put 2 and 2 together, if the ACA car wasn't there, then the truckie wouldn't have needed to overtake. If all the cars which the truckie was supposedly "tailgating" were in the left lane, then the truck would've been able to overtake them all. Add in that it appears the cars are travelling slow in a fast lane, no wonder the truckie is "tailgating".

I blame all parties involved for the accident. They ALL had a contribution to the crash.

·
Glitter & Grease
2,052 Posts
if the fotage was of the domain tunnel crash i think it was more than a 'car acciedent'. 4 people died and it shut down one of the buisest road in Melbourne for (i think it was) 3 days. You also wonder what ACA was doing filming in the tunnel.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I do not honestly believe they'd put a car with a human on board under a 60ton truck just to make a story out of it, thats plain rediculous.

This whole "its the fast lane" just won't wash me nor does it with the police.. If it wasn't the ACA car then it would have been some other person, possible with kids in the car. If you're doing the limit, and are still overtaking cars that are on the left then you're in the right lane and doind the right thing - you don't need some prick behind you trying to rush you.

·
Insert text here:
1,228 Posts
The truckie looks to be at fault to me although he moved into that lane thinking it was clear.

I don't think his blind spot is to be at fault here. There's something else. I just can't put my finger on it.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
I blame the truck, what was it doing in that lane anyhow? It should be limited to travelling in one of the the two left lanes. BTW overtaking in the left lane is illegal if you are already in the right lane. The car driver was in the lane first regardless of them indicating. The truck driver was very openly in the wrong. Speeding, overtaking on the inside and failure to check traffic conditions. He should loose his licence.

I have had several recent incidents involving trucks on the roads, this last time on the Hume Highway. The trucks are a menace and their drivers frequently dangerous. On many occassions during the long drive in the evening I witnessed literally scores of trucks doing well over the speed limits. Frequently travelling at over 120km/h and on roads that I would consider dangerous for trucks to travel over 80km/h.

At 3 stages through the journey a particular truckie tailgated and attempted to overtake no less that 3 times. At one stage while travelling at over 130km/h he flashed me to move over... forget that! there was no way I was letting a truck overtake me at 130+. It's unacceptable so I slammed on my breaks, i think he got the message and he kept well behind me after that. I was thinking about ringing the police, it is one thing to drive a car over the limits but to drive a large heavy laden vehicle in such a manner is totally obnoxious. They are a law unto themselves, they are not only a risk to themselves but so many ordinary road users.

What they also don't realise is that they should not be overtaking other trucks/buses up hills especially where the roads are only 2 lanes one way. This just creates a major bottleneck for cars and invariably leads to frustration and sometimes accidents. Frequently trucks pulled out infront of me forcing me to slow to a crawl in very short times. They should be more mindful of other road users and not so helbent on turnaround times and flaunting rules. They shouldn't be exceeding 100km/h as they are a much greater danger to other road users at high speed. The safe T cam system is obviously not working!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts