1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Construction worker falls from Biscayne Boulevard condo
By THERESA BRADLEY
[email protected]
Downtown streets remain closed to traffic tonight, after a construction worker plummeted to his death from the 40-plus-story Marina Blue condominium, under construction on Biscayne Boulevard.

Early investigations suggested the worker had been standing on a concrete crane platform that broke beneath him.

Other workers used a cellphone to call for help just after 6:30 p.m., telling rescuers that their colleague had fallen, and that something had fallen on top of him.

A second worker also toppled down, but was saved by his safety harness, a fire official said. Co-workers coached that man back onto the building, and a fire rescue team later rushed him to the hospital.

As of 8 p.m., City of Miami Police and Fire-Rescue had not yet determined what might have caused the crane platform to crack, although winds had been strong.

The condo construction site is at Northeast Eighth Street at Biscayne Boulevard, directly across from the American Airlines Arena.

Biscayne Boulevard, Northeast First and Second Avenues, and Northeast Fifth through 10th Streets, were all closed to traffic, out of concern that the large yellow crane that runs up the height of the building could collapse onto the boulevard below, saidpolice spokesman Willie Moreno.

As dark fell, investigators focused on recovering the man's body from the worksite, Miami Fire Rescue spokesman Ignatius Carroll said.

It looks the man fell about 400ft. to his death and Biscayne Blvd. from 5 - 10th street is closed. I'll bet that traffic tommorow will be a pain if the site isn't cleaned up.

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
This is so shallow, I know; but is the crane still standing? And will it be standing?

And will this slow consturction down anymore than one man's contribution?

Don't misinterpret this though; best wishes and sympathy to the man's family. That really is sad.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The crane is still standing. The accident happended when the crane was being lifted. The area is closed because Dade Rescue is worried about it falling completely apart. That's 40+ floors of crane falling to the ground. Maybe this is the price for building too quickly. It has gone up pretty quickly since Oct./Nov. and only has about 20+ floors to go.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Yea the other day i was looking at a picture from last year and this tower was only at 4floors up, 40 floors in one year is really fast, now we see the problems that can occur with that. And what were they doing working at 6;30 isn't that a little late and i just don't feel very confident with buildings going up at night.
also im surprised the other guy was wearing a harness, about only 5% of workers wear a harness.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
Oh goodness. That would be terrible if the whole thing smashed down. And yeah, it has soared up there. I hope when I wake up tomorrow there is still a crane standing and being fixed. How long could this set the project back?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
well it wouldn't be the first time, 50 biscaynes crane went down a couple of months ago, and during the '80s it occurred alot.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The crane won't fall. It's pretty fastened to the structure. It's with high winds like today where accidents happen. It was pretty silly to extend a crane at 400+ft., with gusts at 25 to 30 mph. The county now has to inspect the premises and review the crane's stability. It will take about a week for construction to resume and the investigation will last a bit longer. Back in 1984, two simmilar accidents happened at the Wachovia Financial Center. One man fell 15 floors to his death when he was working on the glass canopy covering the courtyard. Another guy was crushed by a couple of slabs of granite, but he survived.
:eek2:

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
Paul305 said:
Don't Go Cranes!!! This is very bad news but accidents do happen from time to time. Let's just hope this is the last major accident to happen in Miami.
Wishful thinking, my friend. It would be nice, but somebody will be in a terrible car accident tomorrow, involved in a fire the next day, ect. Terrible accidents will always happen. But what would really make this significant, which it already sort of is, the whole think falling would do it. Which we have been informed by reliable sources that it won't.

Sidenote: 50 Biscayne's crane completely feel apart? Hatter? Did it kill anybody?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Miami as in Perfect said:
Wishful thinking, my friend. It would be nice, but somebody will be in a terrible car accident tomorrow, involved in a fire the next day, ect. Terrible accidents will always happen. But what would really make this significant, which it already sort of is, the whole think falling would do it. Which we have been informed by reliable sources that it won't.

Sidenote: 50 Biscayne's crane completely feel apart? Hatter? Did it kill anybody?
It didn't kill anybondy if I recall but it did shut down the metromover because it fell on the tracks.

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
Paul305 said:
I guess I meant skyscraper related accidents. I doubt Miami ever goes a day without at least one car accident. There are probably intersections in Miami that don't go that long.
Every intersection in Miami has a fued it seems! lol. But yes, hopefully the rest of this boom sees no trouble.

And thanks for the pictures. I should have watched the news . . . . *tivo*

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Biscayne BLvd is still closed:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14368678.htm

Closures on Biscayne Blvd. create back-ups

By DAVID OVALLE and LARRY LEBOWITZ
[email protected]

Parts of downtown Miami will remain closed to traffic the rest of the day -- and probably into Wednesday morning -- as authorities try to secure the crane that caused the death of a construction worker Monday night.

The road closures have caused miles-long backups on Interstate 95 and the Dolphin Expressway through downtown Miami.

Police officers and the developer at the construction site at Biscayne Boulevard at Northeast Eighth Street are trying to bring in another crane to secure the damaged one.

''Until that's done, it won't be safe for pedestrians or motor traffic,'' said Lt. Bill Schwartz, a Miami police spokesman.

Officers have cordoned off Northeast First and Second avenues, and Northeast Fifth through 10th streets. They fear the yellow crane might collapse.

The Biscayne Boulevard exit ramp on the Dolphin was closed mid morning and traffic was being re-directed to head east over Biscayne Bay and loop around the Parrot Jungle facility heading west onto Biscayne Blvd.

The Miami Dade Transit Authority said the Metromover's Omni Loop will likely remain closed until at least tomorrow. A shuttle bus has been added in its place, but it, too, is stuck in traffic.

''We're waiting for the crane to be secured to the building,'' said Manny Palmeiro, spokesman for the Transit Authority.

An official for the crane company at Morrow Equipment Company said he didn't know how long it would take to secure the crane.

The worker fell from a concrete crane, whose platform had cracked, at the Marina Blue condominium currently being built at Northeast Eighth Street and Biscayne Boulevard.

Another worker was saved by co-workers and his safety harness.

The cause of the crane's platform crack is under investigation. The workers' identities have not been released.

North Bayshore Drive, normally a calm two-way street, turned into a free for all. Drivers hopped the sidewalk and drove in the wrong lane, forcing fellow drivers to swerve or come to a complete stop.

At intervals, the chaos was so overwhelming it turned the street into a parking lot of buses, trucks, cars, sport utility vehicles and motorcycles.

·
Registered
897 Posts
More from the Miami Herald:

Police said Jesse B. Morris, a 47-year-old man from Douglassville, Ga., plummeted to his death Monday night when he fell from the 39th floor of the Marina Blue condominium under construction at Northeast Eighth Street and Biscayne Boulevard about 6:30 p.m.

Another worker, Jesse Morris, 20 -- the elder Morris' son -- also fell but was saved by his safety harness. Co-workers coached him back onto the building and he was taken to the hospital where he was reported in good condition on Tuesday.

Morris had been in the crane business nearly all his life and his son, Jesse Jr., recently joined his father's 9-month-old construction company, according to Bobby Richards, 41, a friend. Richards said Morris was hard working and scrupulous about safety.

News of Morris' death devastated the closely knit crane operator community, Richards told The Miami Herald Tuesday.

''You can't find a whole lot of guys who want to get up on those cranes,'' Richards said.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts