Reality Limited, was grateful to partner
the AMA, and said the provision of the
building would go a long way to help the
assembly carry out its development
programmes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
"As part of the beautification and modernization of accra"?.. tweaaaaaa.. This city is dirty and stinks... I was there and I had diarrhea almost every day.. people peeing and taking craps on walls and open sewage or gutters they call it. It very bad. There are few decent places but for most part it's really bad.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"As part of the beautification and modernization of accra"?.. tweaaaaaa.. This city is dirty and stinks... I was there and I had diarrhea almost every day.. people peeing and taking craps on walls and open sewage or gutters they call it. It very bad. There are few decent places but for most part it's really bad.
We need a new mayor in accra!! Its funny how the mayor studying abroad could not even change his taste..we need someone vibrant that has staunch knowledge of urban planning and a vision to put accra on the map

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does anyone know if the mayor of Accra is voted as in an election? That man seems to have been there for a long time and largely useless. Who does he report to?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The mayor is not elected by a popular vote. He is imposed/appointed on/by the (people) by the president. Ghana practices a partial democracy which is non progessive, outdated and farcical. This was made possible in part because it was a cynical dictator who spearheaded our movement from military dictatorship to democracry. Almost everything in the constitution was crafted to make the dictator supreme.

·
Registered
13 Posts
a Metropolitan (Mayor), Municipal or District Chief Executive as they are popularly called appointed by the President in consultation with many stakeholders. however, the Mayor must poll at least two thirds of votes by the Assembly members (members representing the various electoral areas in the Metropolis, Municipal or District in question) at a special meeting to confirm him/her. if he/fails to get 50% of votes the president must nominate another candidate. if he/she polls over 50% but not the required 2 thirds, another meeting is held within 10 days to revote again. the mayor can however be removed from office at anytime by the president, resignation, death or incapacitation or via a vote of no confidence by the assembly members. (not sure if its 75% of the votes or 2 thirds needed to oust him/her)
the Mayor of Accra definitely isnt working at all! the Kumasi Mayor is hardworking and ensures the projects that have been drawn to give Kumasi a major facelift are being adhered to.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Running a city is not a one man show. Every citizen has an input or a role to make or play. Oko is not God or a magician to turn wretched scenes of accra to be like rich Dobai. It takes all hands on deck mentality to achieve that. But leadership must come from the AMA boss and the assembly. Citizens must respect the role of the AMA boss and stop complaining when he and the assembly takes certain decisive and appropriate actions in his juridiction. Most beautiful cities we see on TV and in MAGASINES are not the work of one person or the city authorities. It's a collective effort by the city authorities and citizenry. Give Oko vanderpuije a break.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not impressed with this mayor at all. He has now turned from a mayor to a sanitation prefect. Something that other lower metropolitan bodies are suppose to handle. If Accra is to move forward we need someone with the vision. And the connect. There are a lot of Ghanaians that can fill his position and perform better. Remember no one is waiting for any one to develop. If we don't set a plan for Accra. And our other cities. We may end up loosing our importance as a hub to other countries that are engaging in massive infrastructure projects already

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ghana needs a ruthless, visionary and poised leadership team. A team that will drum it out on media, infrastructure, civic responsibility etc. In the absence of that, one man leader trying to do it will end up dead - Nkrumah was an example! He knew his people, knew the mindset and became ruthless, even to the point of pushing for a single party system. It was for a reason, a single party isn't a bad idea, it means all the brains and ideas in one pot, and from such a pot, let the best rise. Of course i understand that it can lead to monopoly of ideas, but if such monopoly is national in nature it even goes further to identify and solidify the character of the nation. This is the reason i agree with you on the fact that Ghana needs real leaders to take on the helm of managing this nation at all levels, but more importantly, i think it's not one leader, the president but a cluster of leaders at key and important areas of our country to collectively and in unison drive one integrated development and progress agenda.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The mayor is not elected by a popular vote. He is imposed/appointed on/by the (people) by the president. Ghana practices a partial democracy which is non progessive, outdated and farcical. This was made possible in part because it was a cynical dictator who spearheaded our movement from military dictatorship to democracry. Almost everything in the constitution was crafted to make the dictator supreme.
Sometimes people pass through "abroad" but "abroad" doesn't pass through them. Back when Japan was sending it's people to study in the US, they wanted "abroad" to pass through them. Some people simply see but do not comprehend what makes tick.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there are a lot of developments coming up in the city, this building seems to be finishing up nicely,the project is dream reality the owners of octagons contribution to the modernisation of Accra, a project slated for construction around 2013 is just finishing up in 2018,

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

so i was able to get this few off the net, glad to see the building develop to this phase.. but my concerns

1. why is the city hall cited close to the Octagon, would it not have adverse effects on traffic
2. this project was solely funded by the dream reality group.. as much as I don't want to sound sinister this looks like they bought the government

1 - 16 of 16 Posts