SkyscraperCity banner

2381 - 2388 of 2388 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
What Ghana really does have going for it is its goodwill with foreigners as the best run country in the west African sub region because when looking at pictures of its cities compared to other African cities I am utterly disappointed and underwhelmed as Accra isn't even aesthetically top 5 in west Africa. Id rate Abuja, Abidjan, Dakar, Lagos and Calabar ahead. The question then becomes why is Ghana so hyped in the west when the pictures do not reflect this?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ivory Coast is the best country in West Africa imo, the problem is that it's francophone and it can only go so far in attracting international investors.

Ghana is English friendly and easier to navigate than Nigeria and this predictability is what investors like. It can become the best West African not-Nigeria economy in 10 years time of investments and it's what looks like it's going to happen.

·
Registered
933 Posts
What Ghana really does have going for it is its goodwill with foreigners as the best run country in the west African sub region because when looking at pictures of its cities compared to other African cities I am utterly disappointed and underwhelmed as Accra isn't even aesthetically top 5 in west Africa. Id rate Abuja, Abidjan, Dakar, Lagos and Calabar ahead. The question then becomes why is Ghana so hyped in the west when the pictures do not reflect this?

Because, generally speaking, they do what they are told when it comes to governance and policies. This makes it easier for outsiders coming from from Europe, in particular. Sales tax (VAT) is similar. Vehicle licensing is similar. The process for acquiring a driving license is similar (on paper, at least). This familiarity makes a certain, very loud (yet very small) subset of people very happy and that resonates by way of travel/expat reviews etc.

What you have described is the difference between adequate government and a large, thriving private sector, which I would argue Ghana as a whole currently lacks.

2381 - 2388 of 2388 Posts