evidenced in the establishment of forty-
two (42) registered Turkish projects by
the Ghana Investment Promotion Council
and the volumes of trade between both
countries.

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,864 Posts
It's a very Turkish looking mosque at that... with all those domes it has a very Ottoman style... I'd honestly prefer something more locally inspired but it's not an eyesore.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It's a very Turkish looking mosque at that... with all those domes it has a very Ottoman style... I'd honestly prefer something more locally inspired but it's not an eyesore.
I thought domes were synonymous with mosques? Or your reference to the Ottoman style was prompted by the sheer number of domes present?

·
Registered
159 Posts
What's local now, was new to ghana from the beginning. So you should appreciate new things and stop these local stuff mentallity. Are bet you in 5yrs time it will become local.

·
Villeurbanne
4,617 Posts
Jin Mao Tower :

Locally inspired ... modern engineering ...

Of course there is a long way to go for Ghana, but i hope west Africa won't forget it's historical heritage... independantly from Islam or Christianity ...

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jin Mao Tower :

Locally inspired ... modern engineering ...

Of course there is a long way to go for Ghana, but i hope west Africa won't forget it's historical heritage... independantly from Islam or Christianity ...
One of the best posts I have come across here!!
It bothers me a lot that we are loosing our identity to allot of external influence. I know there are a few projects. Following the unique ancient ghana architecture. Like hope city. But its yet to be built. Even accra suffers from a serious identity deficiency. I don't even see anything that depicts Ga. Tradition its mainly the akan. When you come to accra you are suppose to have that feel of the people and their heritage. Same goes to other regions. We have good land and resources. The problem is that short sited people running the country and those who know fold arms

·
Registered
159 Posts
One of the best posts I have come across here!!
It bothers me a lot that we are loosing our identity to allot of external influence. I know there are a few projects. Following the unique ancient ghana architecture. Like hope city. But its yet to be built. Even accra suffers from a serious identity deficiency. I don't even see anything that depicts Ga. Tradition its mainly the akan. When you come to accra you are suppose to have that feel of the people and their heritage. Same goes to other regions. We have good land and resources. The problem is that short sited people running the country and those who know fold arms
Rocky! Don't blame the Akans. We the Ga's have allowed it. We the Ga's like to please people too much. I don't know how we got that virtues from. When you go to kumasi and speak Ga, the people there say we don't speak Ga here. In accra when you speak Ga,those same akans will tell you i don't understand speak twi. So the akans have become our new Ga colonisers in the greater accra region.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Rocky! Don't blame the Akans. We the Ga's have allowed it. We the Ga's like to please people too much. I don't know how we got that virtues from. When you go to kumasi and speak Ga, the people there say we don't speak Ga here. In accra when you speak Ga,those same akans will tell you i don't understand speak twi. So the akans have become our new Ga colonisers in the greater accra region.
Its pathetic really..ga people need to sit up. The metropolitan assembly does not seem to take note of this.. 90 percent of accras problems comes from there.. We need a mayor with a direction to make accra a world class city that we could call home. Imagine if all regions can be inspired by their own traditional architecture and culture .. How unique it will be.. It will even encourage competition..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was going through the pictures of Bamako in Mali today on SSC and I was impressed and shocked. The buildings may not be as grandeur as some of ours, but it depicts their culture so much; and they have so many national monuments. One of the foreigners even commented that he would prefer their city to Accra.

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,864 Posts
I thought domes were synonymous with mosques? Or your reference to the Ottoman style was prompted by the sheer number of domes present?
I mean the overall style- the central dome on pendentives supported by half domes, the four minarets, the array of smaller domes towards the entrance- is characteristic of Ottoman architecture (which drew inspiration from Byzantine basilica forms) in particular and not just Islamic architecture in general. Take for example the Hagia Sophia (originally a Christian basilica):

Now compare it to the later Blue Mosque (on the order of 1000 years), also in Istanbul, often considered the pinnacle of Ottoman architecture:

Compare that to the Sabanci Mosque in Adana, Turkey, which was just built in 1998:

Take away the minarets and it looks more like a large Orthodox Church (say, the Church of Saint Sava) than a mosque. Contrast these with some with some famous mosques from around the world, starting with the Shah Mosque in Isfahan, Iran:

The Jama Masjid in Delhi:

The Koutoubia Mosque in Marrakech:

The (now destroyed) Great Mosque of Aleppo, Syria:

The Al-Rifai Mosque in Cairo:

The Great Mosque of Djenne, Mali:

I could go on and on, but I think the point is clear- they don't all look the same, and each is reflective the style of its time and its place. They clearly borrow from one another, but they are quite distinctive, I think. It's akin to building a pagoda or a Nordic stave church. By no means is it ugly, it's just... jarring. As if someone picked it up and moved it to Accra. I guess Gothic churches get a pass because it's something we've become used to around the world, but maybe something more traditional, or more modern, would have worked better here. It's a bit like building in the Baroque style in China- no matter how well it's done, it's going to look out of place.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Traditions have no end. It keeps on changing all the time. So is ghanaian traditions. We have not reached the climax. It will keep on changing. So that anything that doesn't look like what we know as such, shouldn't mean it is not ghanaian tradition. Ghanaians are not people with limit and small imaginative prowess. Besides the traditions of the world are there for everyone to use. Be it food, clothes, architecture or Dancing. I'm tired of these Ghanaian traditional tag thing. Why? Do we have to put a ghana flag on every project we construct to look ghanaian? Abaa! Me ni saani epo Nne.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts