SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
you welcome.. what's your view on this.. ?
Rocky,definitely going to reduce pressure on the current Terminal 2 and that's a welcome break from the congestion and chaos there durin g the evening peak periods.Besides, the new Terminal 3 has an annual capacity of 5 million passengers and its going to be very modern.This will facilitate the growth of the aviation industry in the country.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Don't know if any body else noticed, but the terminal design in the first render(ing) differs from the others. The number of aerobridges don't even add up. Five in the first one and six in the other design. The second design renderings looks more complete, and naturally, I've resigned myself to the idea that that's the one they are going with.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Don't know if any body else noticed, but the terminal design in the first render(ing) differs from the others. The number of aerobridges don't even add up. Five in the first one and six in the other design. The second design renderings looks more complete, and naturally, I've resigned myself to the idea that that's the one they are going with.
Yea, that's true. It's actually the second render that was chosen. The aerobridges are six.It is verifiable at the airport company's facebook page.

Additional info.Total cost of the project is USD 190 million (including the new terminal and a new vvip/presidential lounge).Being funded by a consortium of banks led by Ecobank Ghana and Ghana Airports Company s I. G. F.

·
Registered
12 Posts
These rendering don't correlate to the existing terminal building. Unless there are plans for existing terminal building to be demolished.

·
Registered
667 Posts
obeeme is right. This is going to be built independent of the existing Terminal 2 structure, in other words, on a near by site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I find it hard to visualize where this new terminal will be sited, there's hardly any space around the whole area...something has to be demolish to make way for this project...I know there is a vacant land between the existing terminal and the cargo village but I do this new rendering fitting in that space,especially with it being horizontal with no curve appeal

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find it hard to visualize where this new terminal will be sited, there's hardly any space around the whole area...something has to be demolish to make way for this project...I know there is a vacant land between the existing terminal and the cargo village but I do this new rendering fitting in that space,especially with it being horizontal with no curve appeal
^^^^^^
Haha phyde03 looks like i'll have to co sign you again.
I was just looking at google earth and can't see any land available for a structure of this size with 6 aerobridges.
the only land i can see that will fit is on the other side of the runway toward the Congo junction- Burma Camp by-pass which wouldn't be a good idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Simfan34, I honestly don't think we need a new airport that can only handle 5million passengers a year. To me it's a total waste of land and resources. If we're building a new airport then it should be one for the future, parallel runways to support simultaneous landing and takeoff, 20+ million passenger a year similar to what Kenya is doing with their greenfield terminal and Angola with their new Luanda airport. As it it stands I don't see passenger traffic at Kotoka getting to 10million anytime soon. I think the old terminal can be demolished to make way for a new terminal that can handle 10million passengers with a dozen aerobridges. Airports like Gatwick and San Diego have single runways but can handle 15+ million passengers a year...we can make it work with kotoka if the existing terminal can be replaced with a modern one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Simfan34, I honestly don't think we need a new airport that can only handle 5million passengers a year. To me it's a total waste of land and resources. If we're building a new airport then it should be one for the future, parallel runways to support simultaneous landing and takeoff, 20+ million passenger a year similar to what Kenya is doing with their greenfield terminal and Angola with their new Luanda airport. As it it stands I don't see passenger traffic at Kotoka getting to 10million anytime soon. I think the old terminal can be demolished to make way for a new terminal that can handle 10million passengers with a dozen aerobridges. Airports like Gatwick and San Diego have single runways but can handle 15+ million passengers a year...we can make it work with kotoka if the existing terminal can be replaced with a modern one.
Ghana needs a new airport. What's there right now that looks like Noah's ark is not a proper airport. it is what i have described.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We do need a new airport, but if our government intends to build another Noah's Ark at Prampram then we might as well just make structural improvement to Kotoka to raise it's capacity to 5million passengers a year. And we both know they will build another cubicle of a terminal at Prampram

·
Registered
829 Posts
Airports Company secures US$250million for Terminal 3 project

The Ghana Airports Company Limited (GACL) has secured a loan of US$250million to undertake the construction of a new terminal to be known as Terminal 3, at the Kotoka International Airport.

Managing Director of the company, Mr. Charles Asare told the B&FT that the funds have been secured from a consortium of banks led by Ecobank Capital.

We expect to cut the sod for the construction of the Terminal 3 this month. Last week we raised the financing we needed. It is estimated to cost us US$250m. We have raised the first US$250m.”

The GACL last year announced that it was to expand facilities at the Kotoka International Airport to accommodate the increasing passenger throughput and increasing number of airlines servicing the KIA.

Part of the proposal is the construction of the third terminal to be known as Terminal 3 within the KIA enclave.“It is not just Terminal Three but also the runway, taxi ways, and the aprons. Ground lights, underground fuel lines and runway lights” he said.

Management of GACL, following the promulgation of the Airport Tax Amendment Act in 2013 -- which allows the GACL to retain 100 percent of its revenues -- turned to private capital to improve aviation infrastructure in the country.

source:thebftonline.com

Its now official,sod cutting ceremony this month.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Ghana Airports Company Limited (GACL) has secured a loan of US$250million to undertake the construction of a new terminal to be known as Terminal 3, at the Kotoka International Airport.

Managing Director of the company, Mr. Charles Asare told the B&FT that the funds have been secured from a consortium of banks led by Ecobank Capital.

We expect to cut the sod for the construction of the Terminal 3 this month. Last week we raised the financing we needed. It is estimated to cost us US$250m. We have raised the first US$250m.”

The GACL last year announced that it was to expand facilities at the Kotoka International Airport to accommodate the increasing passenger throughput and increasing number of airlines servicing the KIA.

Part of the proposal is the construction of the third terminal to be known as Terminal 3 within the KIA enclave.“It is not just Terminal Three but also the runway, taxi ways, and the aprons. Ground lights, underground fuel lines and runway lights” he said.

Management of GACL, following the promulgation of the Airport Tax Amendment Act in 2013 -- which allows the GACL to retain 100 percent of its revenues -- turned to private capital to improve aviation infrastructure in the country.

source:thebftonline.com

Its now official,sod cutting ceremony this month.
:banana::banana::nuts::applause: very good. now i don't want to hear no stories!!

1 - 20 of 393 Posts