SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
wooow impressive frankoo u b too much, love it but these traders oh God hmmm let wait and see
Thanks bro ,I know right !!

AMA guards are not enforcing rules at all !

I guess the current mayor is scared to lose votes if he kicks them out !

That's the problem with Ghanaians ,They see places as Agbobloshie etc and turn a blind eye on the filth !

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hopefully when it's finally commissioned, they look at that issue. Election is just about a month away. Knowing Ghana, even though all the parties agree to keeping the place free of all these traders, if any action is taken it will turn political. Sad.

·
Registered
668 Posts
...but why hide it from the public by building a wall around it? Must we erect walls around every structure in our cities? A simple fence would suffice if it absolutely has to be secured.

·
Registered
286 Posts
OOOH i can now see them on the right !

I am surprised they haven't taken over the grass pitch !

I know poverty in Accra is a big issue ,Everybody needs to hustle !

My only beef is that they leave a lot mess and pay no taxes ( AMA guards do take bribes from streetsellers and leave them to do what they want )

·
Registered
919 Posts
wooow impressive frankoo u b too much, love it but these traders oh God hmmm let wait and see
What is wrong with these traders ?? This is us ....our way of living , do you want boring street like most Western cities ?

Street traders are fine as long as order is maintain and proper sanitation.

Mulopwe

·
Registered
286 Posts
What is wrong with these traders ?? This is us ....our way of living , do you want boring street like most Western cities ?

Mulopwe
I don't have a problem with street traders,But Dammm ! They've taken over bridges and pedestrian walkways ,They leave no pavements unmarked !

The congestion is too much.

Kigali and Luanda is cleaner than Accra

They have tried using the RED LINE method ,to curb down the excess of street traders ,I don't know if it has worked

Bridge full of streetstraders !

·
Registered
68 Posts
Being poor shouldn't make you dirty. It's the same attitude towards government work. They believe the streets are not their homes so they care less. It angers me. There is no excuse for that attitude.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Being poor shouldn't make you dirty. It's the same attitude towards government work. They believe the streets are not their homes so they care less. It angers me. There is no excuse for that attitude.
I know what you mean bro !
It seems like the AMA does not invest in street cleaners at all !!

I believe that the mayor in sunyani has a heavy workforce of streetcleaners,He uses the taxes in a better way .

Sunyani is apparently the cleanest city in Ghana .

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I don't have a problem with street traders,But Dammm ! They've taken over bridges and pedestrian walkways ,They leave no pavements unmarked !

The congestion is too much.

Kigali and Luanda is cleaner than Accra

They have tried using the RED LINE method ,to curb down the excess of street traders ,I don't know if it has worked

Good idea that red line. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Being poor doesn't mean, you should not have taste and desire for better living and quality standards. I know majority of Ghanaians are so adhere to this present day Ghanaian living. Mean while other countries are being serious, changing the living standards and systems of operations in their country. There are better ways of doing things right. You need to study, learn, emulate, amend, and create a better standard. But, you don't accept your old ways and say, this is who l am, l cannot be changed. Others are busy making possible standard of living able for this present generation and generations to come. Ghana is not working, we can make it more better and appealing, not for the visitor, but for we ourselves. We deserve better.

·
Registered
668 Posts

Mulopwe
If order and proper sanitation were maintained with traders on our thoroughfares, then we would really have nothing to rant about.

We really shouldn't glorify aspects of our way of life/culture if they present challenges to development. Of course it sounds counter-intuitive talking about trade and commerce this way but, and correct me if I'm wrong, a great majority of these street hawkers/traders do not pay taxes so essentially, there's really no economic benefit gained from their activities speaking in macroeconomic terms.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ghanaians are hypocrites, period. Sometimes instead of being practical, we get emotional. When one a government in power decides to rid the streets of these people, whichever party in opposition( which incidentally would've promised to do the same) has to oppose it, asking, " where should they go? They must eat. " it's a shame.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Mulopwe
well this is us, i know, trader have no internsion of messing up the place, but their activities dose, and i dont think there is any strong policy ensuring this nations sanitation and if there is any, i guess it is not properly enforced, this nation has a poor waste management system, Ghanaians will mess up any where when neglected with respect to sanitation, traders should have a place for their trading activity but not to take to the street, you will be seeing tables rarely on pavements if authorities should stay mute.

·
NiiAmazin
41 Posts
A problem the AMA has tried for centuries to solve-they have come to understand that without first giving these hawkers anywhere to settle;the moral right to eject them become questionable. I believe this is why they have started the various market project in the metropolis. Mallam,London Mkt, Tuesday Mkt,Salaga Mkt and Kwasiadwaso in Tema. The Kotobraba Mkt is the preceding one i think.If same vision is held in the next government ; we wont have this discuss anymore- Accra will be freer on the sidewalks and cleaner

·
Registered
919 Posts
If order and proper sanitation were maintained with traders on our thoroughfares, then we would really have nothing to rant about.

We really shouldn't glorify aspects of our way of life/culture if they present challenges to development. Of course it sounds counter-intuitive talking about trade and commerce this way but, and correct me if I'm wrong, a great majority of these street hawkers/traders do not pay taxes so essentially, there's really no economic benefit gained from their activities speaking in macroeconomic terms.
It's not their fault .. it is up to Ghana government to organize and collect taxes...... proper education showing them (Traders) all the benefits they will have by paying taxes.

We are African , we have to maintain our culture and way of doing things.

Ghana has enough resources to have full time crew to clean and maintain these area day and night.

Mulopwe

·
Registered
919 Posts
well this is us, i know, trader have no internsion of messing up the place, but their activities dose, and i dont think there is any strong policy ensuring this nations sanitation and if there is any, i guess it is not properly enforced, this nation has a poor waste management system, Ghanaians will mess up any where when neglected with respect to sanitation, traders should have a place for their trading activity but not to take to the street, you will be seeing tables rarely on pavements if authorities should stay mute.
Blame Ghana government and not these hustlers who are working hard to feed family and and send their Children's to School.

Mulopwe

101 - 120 of 152 Posts