iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
North Ridge, Accra, Ghana
CATEGORY:* Mixed use development
PROJECT: ** North Ridge, Accra, Ghana
SIZE: 240,000m2
PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
A vacant land-fill site in central Accra adjacent to the expanding commercial district was chosen by the client. Volume 3 prepared proposals for a 3-storey retail mall and commercial space (45,000m2), a 20-storey 4/5 star hotel (50,000m2), and a further 20 stories of serviced apartments above (40,000m2), a 35 storey office tower (50,000m2) and a medium rise residential block comprising 18,000m2 of private luxury apartments. The scheme was serviced by 5-stories of below ground car parking and deliveries areas (70,000m2). The project value was estimated to be $300 million.*

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
God help me. Look at all those houses with large gardens in Ridge which is right next to the CBD. Knock them all down!
Well that would be a hell of a job to do, and goverment will have to compensate a lot of people. Well its better its down now and developments like this spring up. My question is what is the Accra mayor and AMA doing? are they positioning accra as a hub and gateway, Do they even have knowledge on urban planning practice. ???

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a feeling this will get built when Accra gets a new mayor. It would be built under him if it was a 7-storey building.
Am not clear about you last sentence of the 7 storey building! But we'll. Accra needs a new mayor. Not just a new mayor. A mayor that thinks out of the box. An entrepreneur and a leader that can enforce and drag the necessary investment in . we also need to be able to vote our mayors in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree, Accra needs a new Mayor, and not just a new Mayor in Accra, it must be cascaded across all the key cities in the country. We need mayors that have understanding of the dynamics of the modern city in a young economy. I don't know if to blame the mayor or the city council or both... but clearly, he has failed miserably.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Am not clear about you last sentence of the 7 storey building! But we'll. Accra needs a new mayor. Not just a new mayor. A mayor that thinks out of the box. An entrepreneur and a leader that can enforce and drag the necessary investment in . we also need to be able to vote our mayors in.
'Am not clear about you last sentence of the 7 storey building! ' ..i mean the mayor doesn't have taste for buildings above 14 storey. Since he assumed office, Accra central has not seen a building as high as 35 storey (as in this render) and he has not made any effort on this. I personally think he has failed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
'Am not clear about you last sentence of the 7 storey building! ' ..i mean the mayor doesn't have taste for buildings above 14 storey. Since he assumed office, Accra central has not seen a building as high as 35 storey (as in this render) and he has not made any effort on this. I personally think he has failed.
The world is a global village now, and countries, cities, towns, villages are all competing aggressively on the same level. If we are to attract the serious folks then we need local investors to equally be serious, including Mayors, Town and Planning councils, Governments and all. This "Ghana" said it wanted to be gateway to Africa, to be the beacon of Africa, the star for Africa... big talk with 0 / Zero action backed by way of policy to fuel so. Allowed chiefs and their likes to hold generations to ransom, leading to mindsets that locked in primitive ways to the point that someone raised a 13 story building and calls it ultramodern. So what happens is the serious chaps rather go to North, East or Southern African countries to do the big stuff. So where is the gateway? Cannot even manage to sell the Airlines to the right someone who can actually make us proud. The country keep doing the same shitty stuff over and over again... it's like a vicious cycle? Am begining to say it's something either in the food or from upbringing... cos folks, I cannot understand how, how, how? Nigeria is a big lesson for us when it comes to Oil management, and yet see and read our situation too... whyyyyyyy????? Kwame Nkrumah motor way has been tolled for it's lifetime and yet the same road that is tolled for it's maintenance is gone kaputt. Town Development agencies demarcate areas for development based on a specific flavor and same people then go back and allow them to be encroached on for other purposes outside the initial plans. Worst of all folks who then hear of planning activities quickly going to buy lands so that when such projects are coming up, the nation will incur more cost to pay them to relocate them. How is this development? Why won't investors be frustrated at all levels? So those bold and beautiful ideas become white elephants, the class of such projects become too high and unmaintainable in the Ghanaian context! We need military minded folks running our development programs. I repeat military minded - working with the clock, precision, discipline and no-nonsense attitude. Alas, we had one such opportunity to do it right, i guess it was also botched!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw this Press Release in the Graphic of today.The SIC land is opposite the Ridge Hospital and boarded by the the Ridge Towers and Valco Trust House

A part of the release stated " SIC Insurance and Rejem-Moolman Consortium plan to bring certain assets and resources from SIC Insurance's Real Estate portfolio into a new joint venture which will become a force to reckon within the retail,commercial and industrial property development sector,commencing with development of the long awaited SIC Ridge City Development on Sudan road ,which is expected to become the financial hub of Accra

Rejem Development and Moolman Group are 2 South African based property development and holding groups

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I saw this Press Release in the Graphic of today.The SIC land is opposite the Ridge Hospital and boarded by the the Ridge Towers and Valco Trust House

A part of the release stated " SIC Insurance and Rejem-Moolman Consortium plan to bring certain assets and resources from SIC Insurance's Real Estate portfolio into a new joint venture which will become a force to reckon within the retail,commercial and industrial property development sector,commencing with development of the long awaited SIC Ridge City Development on Sudan road ,which is expected to become the financial hub of Accra

Rejem Development and Moolman Group are 2 South African based property development and holding groups

Pls what the name of the topic and date? I think this project matches the description on the project in this thread

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You are right. My issue is with Ghanaians. Just soo relaxed. And good just seems Okay enough. Once you have a roof over your head and food to eat. That's all. We have lost that deeper aspiration. That rings a bell when ever the name Ghana comes up. The mecca of Africa, the beacon of hope?! That carries so much weight and responsibility. Today the so called mayor is receiving praises for painting a red line. You can just imagine. We are really undermining the potential of Accra. There is more than to just having a peaceful economy as compared to its peers. What the use if we can't convert the traffic, ease of doing business , peaceful Co existence into economic growth?

·
Registered
203 Posts
You are right. My issue is with Ghanaians. Just soo relaxed. And good just seems Okay enough. Once you have a roof over your head and food to eat. That's all. We have lost that deeper aspiration. That rings a bell when ever the name Ghana comes up. The mecca of Africa, the beacon of hope?! That carries so much weight and responsibility. Today the so called mayor is receiving praises for painting a red line. You can just imagine. We are really undermining the potential of Accra. There is more than to just having a peaceful economy as compared to its peers. What the use if we can't convert the traffic, ease of doing business , peaceful Co existence into economic growth?
I really think the govt and metropolitan assembly needs to pass a competitive building law to give us a beautiful downtown and a beautiful accra.. A lot of beautiful spaces been wasted by all these developers.. What wonder what they have envisioned for accra as the capital
That's the idea and way forward! Mediocrity should be rooted out, and some new bold and inspirational thinking let in. Too many old folks with their old ideas holding us down and that must be shaken down. It's exactly what I've been drumming up. If the Government and assemblies were really working under one integrated think tank that frowns on mediocrity and poor innovation, then we could actually be seeing massive development projects that could trigger also a serious economic boom on a national level. Say a competitive building law backed by annually refreshed development policies prints that are bold and very forward thought. These blueprints will establish clear development milestones annually for each city and perhaps towns with competition established between towns and even with villages. Then based on this collective or club based idea, villages putting the presure on their chiefs to get off their butts and go look for some investors to make better land use or indeed revamp their old ways of farming. Nationalized development agenda that leads to national bidding with clubbed-contractors awarded projects for massive build out projects, thus spreading development opportunities equally across the country. Don't forget, Accra is not Ghana. This way, we can get banks to become bold and as well think about triggering substantial lending programs to support these programs but same time lead to reflexes in other industries becoming sharpened and active to respond to the wave of change. This will whip up widespread discipline, development codes and standards to give each village, town, city an identity and more so a potential means for new "come to see my projects" as a means to drum up an internal development tourism. Establishing clubbed-development projects will lead to lowered costs of investments and expand the appeal for more savvy local scientists engineers, architects contractors and the many more disciplines.

Imagine a 5 star hotel projects planned in every city in Ghana. The Government secures the lands for these projects with participation of each regional capital / city as part of the development agenda as a mandate on regional ministers and the chiefs with clear guidelines and timelines. The government through it's ability as government then can then leverage it's muscle to on behalf of interested hotel ventures negotiate for best material prices below market prices to enable move these projects into gear following stringent timelines agreed in the hotel ventures. There will be a complete economic model behind these models which aren't rocket science but can be worked out without patronizing one persons selfish interest, but looking at the big picture. Such models will stipulate recruiting local workforce registered within these location to work, use of local materials, set fixed and rigorous schedules for hotels to be open. The governments money in this project is totally minimal, but investing more in leading the agenda materialization, after-all, that's why they are government. The flip side is ministries that are charged with equally cascading these investment into PPP endeavors to grown tourism programs linked with each city, or ministry of sports initiating programs that made the enabled regional and national rotating sports programs the enabled movements within the country and more. Altogether creating another layer of "movements" so as to create attractions that can help boost tourism and therefore use of such hotels... This is just one scenario. But what am trying to distill is well integrated development agenda that daisy chains every facet of our socio-economic needs as well as modernization intentions into a solid national development blueprint is possible, but missing. That is the game changer needed as a catalyst for our growth. Image the impact, pressure on corruption, pressure on mediocre mindset, pressure on laziness, pressure on student to think out of the box and more. At the same time a system of check and balances with open government put in place to ensure continued improvement.

You won't imagine how many densely populated metropolitan looking to have what Ghana has as late in entering it's development prime, and yet we're dancing happily to mediocre piecemeal old-school development things thinking we will get there this way. No, we won't!
We won't because without an integrated look using future pedestals, what every is being done now is already too old. It's 70's thinking in time when cities are thinking 22nd century scenarios. Folks are thinking smart city with little or no roads, just pure underground metro networks integrated into all key buildings, green walk ways and walking tunnels, cycling lanes that wrap around and permeate cities for young and old to keep fit with 0 emissions, eco friendly buildings that include landscaping above ground, street lights that are all led based, zero grid connection with smart ambient mode, water ways that are sports and recreational and not dumping grounds etc. What we need is a "leadership" that leads an integrated call for development that triggers an economic boom not by loaning and injecting money into one sector, hoping the rest will pickup miraculously.... no. But by bringing all stakeholders together, sometimes infact investing in schooling them to the facts of the bigger world out there, letting them see the reason we have an opportunity now. A program the diminishes the noise of the ridiculous, selfish and "foolish" mindset of yester-years and therefore an awakening that says that we need to create a cataclysmic development action that has rewards planned not for this current generation, but for the next. A labor that that is reminiscent of a country in overhaul mode the cascades down to a farmer in a village who has access to communication and can afford to log in into a local website where they can access building plans, download them affordably with digital currency and based on the standards and code attached, leverage approved civil engineers and builders around his community to modernize or build his house with solar-integrated dual purpose roofs without the hustles associated of today's Ghana.

That fact is this, this is possible, and it's only when we plan well that integrated development agenda, that truly Ghana can trigger up real sustainable development. Gold, oil, bauxite, coal, timber have so far created individual wealth, at best create mass hallucinations of going somewhere, no we only run in that same spot, and infact worse of than we were 60 years ago. Perhaps what am talking about requires some lines of ruthlessness, strict discipline, visionary leadership and and pressure to do something without thinking of loosing election. But really, isn't that what we need as a nation, to be serious altogether rather than just a few? It's only when that thinking is in place with all the "moving parts" to what makes us a "republic" that Ghana becomes great. It's what Qatar is doing, what UAE is doing, Morocco is doing... all but one guy at the top who sees the need to set into motion the integrated moving parts, else it won't happen. Trigger a development avalanche, like Kuwait, Singapore, Japan, Hongkong... Hongkong, a city/country (now part of P.R. China) with no natural resources but just human capital became a financial hup for Asia with strong and integrated workforce, and modernized life-style that as well addresses the needs of all?
Why is that too hard for our leadership to learn from the rest of the world and apply what has created that rapid and sane development program for others? I've been asking this why for too long and I cannot guess a solid reason but one... and your guess is as good as mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.