SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Ridge Hospital is to be refurbished to befit its status as the Greater Accra Regional Hospital.
As part of the refurbishment, it will be expanded from a 200- to 420-bed capacity hospital, while departments such as Imaging, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Accident and Emergency, Neonatal Intensive Care, Burns, Pharmacy and Laboratory, will all be expanded.
The $250-million project, to be funded by the Exim Bank and HSBC Bank of the United States of America, will also address all civil works, mechanical and electrical works and make the hospital a 24-hour diagnostic and treatment facility.
The refurbishment project, which is being executed by Bouygues Bartiment International of the United States, is expected to be completed in two years.
At a ceremony, the Minister of Health, Ms Sherry Ayittey, said the upgrading of the hospital would increase access to health care and improve the quality of health care in the region.
She added that Ridge Hospital would support the teaching hospitals to train more health personnel.
The Medical Director of the Ridge Hospital, Dr Obeng-Apori, said the quantum leap in the provision of service and training of health personnel at the hospital did not match the provision of infrastructure.
Since 1928, he added, only a few structures had been added to the old ones, leading to overcrowding at the hospital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY2-QBxHTyM

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Construction works on the Ridge
Hospital Complex in Accra is
progressing steadily.
About 95 per cent of all earth works
and 25 per cent of the concrete works
of the foundation have been
completed.
This will make way for the mounting of
slabs to signal the beginning of the
main structure.
The contractors of the project,
Bouygues Batiment International, has
pledged to complete the project ahead
of schedule.
The Greater Accra Regional Minister, Nii
Laryea Afotey Agbo, paid a working
visit to see progress of work on the
project.
24 hour work schedule
A Director of the French constructing
company, Mr Fernando Marques, told
the minister that the foundation was
almost complete and that the workers
had been working 24 hours daily to
complete the project ahead of
schedule.
He said the first phase of the 400-
bedroom block was expected to be
completed in instead of 24 months to
help ease the present congestion at
the hospital.
Nii Afotey Agbo commended the
contractors for their efforts to complete
ahead of schedule and said it would
help ease pressure on the Korle Bu
Teaching Hospital and other major
hospitals in Accra.
Dr Emmanuel Obeng Apori, the
Administrator of the Ridge Hospital,
said the hospital was constructed 85
years ago with the capacity for 200
patients, but presently it caters for
over 800 patients.
He explained that after the
construction of the new complex,
estimated at $250 million, the old
structure would be demolished for the
space to be used as a car park.
He said the new project which started
on March 18, 2014 has 620-bedrooms,
12 operating theatres, accommodation
for young doctors and other facilities.
He thanked the minister for the visit
and expressed the hope that other
dignitaries would visit the project site
to see progress of work.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
The Government of Ghana is replacing the existing Ghana Ridge Hospital with new modern facilities that reflect the current social aspirations of the rapidly developing African country. By identifying this hospital as the main central healthcare provider in the city of Accra, the Ministry of Health decided to develop a comprehensive master plan that will increase the facility’s program to 600 beds and more than 12 surgical theaters. Totaling 465,560 square feet, the Ghana Ridge Hospital will become the largest hospital in the country to date.

The project engages with the living qualities of the site by fine-tuning the way it responds to the necessities and expectations of patients and their families, as well as medical, administrative, and support staff. Spaces are formally articulated as a series of layers reinterpreting the vernacular response to the place, where transitional gathering areas have a deep cultural significance. Breezeways, public corridors, and waiting lobbies are arranged to maximize daylight, while providing passive cooling through natural ventilation. The new hospital expansion will deliver modern healthcare facilities to women and children in the city of Accra and, in so doing, engrain a sense of place in the architectural quality of the region.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The minister for finance mentioned this project today in the 2015 budget. They seem pretty serious about it. Let's hope it takes shape and happens.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Any info on the airport city hospital? When both hospitals are completed it will create lots of revenue and could divert traffic of some african leaders going abroad for medical checkup.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Any info on the airport city hospital? When both hospitals are completed it will create lots of revenue and could divert traffic of some african leaders going abroad for medical checkup.
Lol....call me too when you're demolishing the structure. I'd also love to help tear it down..the current hospital is an eyesore.:banana::banana:

With the airport city hospital, I know the man personally. I won't give much info, but I know for sure that there has been funding issues. Its not just about building the hospital, hospitals are much more expensive to build than office space buildings, because just 5 machines can build another structure on its own. Pray.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Lol....call me too when you're demolishing the structure. I'd also love to help tear it down..the current hospital is an eyesore.:banana::banana:

With the airport city hospital, I know the man personally. I won't give much info, but I know for sure that there has been funding issues. Its not just about building the hospital, hospitals are much more expensive to build than office space buildings, because just 5 machines can build another structure on its own. Pray.
Hmm.. You speak in parables. Where is the problem coming from?

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
lol. okay. its not as nice as i remember it to be. I went there once.

if there is one hospital that needs to be rebuilt its Korle Bu.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
Thanks frankoo. Indeed Ghana is working! Am also glad to see our selection busy and alive with your posts. Thumbs up Bro.. BTW.. Are u affiliated with the gov??

1 - 20 of 63 Posts