SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise this is stretching the definition of this forum but has anyone mentioned the National Portrait Gallery? As a huge new building of national significance it probably deserves some discussion. The competition winner is up on their site,

http://www.portrait.gov.au/linkdev/content/menu.htm

unfortunately, the links to the other entries aren't working very well. I don;t know if it's my problem or a more general one. I can't seem to get the video going either. This is the link to the winning architect's site:

http://www.jpw.com.au/New/Projects/Projects.aspx

Now if they'd just fill in that hideous car park between Questacon and the NLA.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Is the new building going to replace both of the old galleries? Or are they still going to keep them and use the new space for displaying art they couldn't before? The one at Old Parliament House seemed a bit cramped when I was there about a week ago.

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arunava said:
Is the new building going to replace both of the old galleries? Or are they still going to keep them and use the new space for displaying art they couldn't before? The one at Old Parliament House seemed a bit cramped when I was there about a week ago.
To my knowledge, yes. The Old Parliament House is cramped - although its a lovely building. I imagine it will become something else altogether. Perhaps its role as a museum of political history will be extended. That seems logical. We need someone who works at these institutions to answer these questions.

·
Registered
702 Posts
There are some progress reports on the construction of the new National Portrait Gallery being filed by the head of the architecture firm here.

There's still not much to see on the site: just earthworks and excavation.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Ace. Looks quite large. The outside looks a bit dodgy, plastic white Canberra iconic architecture - yuck. But I must say the inside looks good. Hopefully they will have more pictures on the walls than the video had in it. Typical modern galleries like lots of wall but not much painting. Terrible that, as I think its a shame so many works of art are banished to storage.

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ace. Looks quite large. The outside looks a bit dodgy, plastic white Canberra iconic architecture - yuck. But I must say the inside looks good. Hopefully they will have more pictures on the walls than the video had in it. Typical modern galleries like lots of wall but not much painting. Terrible that, as I think its a shame so many works of art are banished to storage.
Actually I think the architecture is not Canberra or iconic enough. It's far too "friendly" for my liking. This guy does a lot of art gallery stuff, including the dreadful extension to the NGA. I suspect this might be as unremarkable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
^^ I'm inclined to agree. Why do all new public institutions (art galleries, museums etc) these days seem to be "playful" or "friendly"? What's wrong with a visitor to a museum feeling a little awe-struck?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Now if they'd just fill in that hideous car park between Questacon and the NLA.[/QUOTE]

They have... albeit briefly... They've just spent up big on a new flat area where Cirque du Soleil are camped.

Also... you can change this thread to UC..

·
Registered
76,997 Posts
done.

·
i've changed my mind
3,853 Posts
^^ it looks bigger then i thought it would be. still really dont have an idea what the finished building is going to look like tho... and they havnt released any external renders yet either?!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts