SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Hood Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ADAMA, central city of Oromia and major city of Ethiopia

Adama (Oromo Adaama, Ge'ez ኣዳማ ādāmā), better known[1] as Nazret or Nazreth (ናዝሬት nāzrēt), is a city in central Ethiopia and the previous capital of the Oromia Region approximately 100 km southeast of Addis Ababa. Based on figures from the Central Statistical Agency in 2005, this city has an estimated total population of 228,623. The 1994 national census reported this town had a total population of 127,842 of whom 61,965 were males and 65,877 were females.
------------------------------------------------

locals

surrounding countryside

·
Hood Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its pretty tough to find pictures of these smaller towns and areas but I have a few.
Adama is growing pretty fast actually because of its proxomity to Addis Ababa and because it was meant to be the capital city and governing center for Oromia State.

In fact Adama still houses the Oromia State Parliament although the capital city of Oromia is now Addis Ababa which is also the Federal capital. Here is the picture of the parliament building in Adama (I wish I had a bigger picture) :

·
Hood Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adama and Addis Ababa are connected by a large highway and I think the rail line to Djibouti from Addis also passes through town (if I am not mistaken).
There are plans to build an 8 lane highway and also a more modern high-speed rail system between the two cities. You can check these development ideas out in the East Africa thread where information about them is posted:

·
Hood Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^that second picture is a monument that recently went up.
A massive piece of work. I will post more from that next.

·
Hood Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are all thumbnails, so click on them to expand

under construction

complete

close-ups

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Nicely put together, good gallery. I for one am aware creating this gallery wasn't easy, I tried and failed! LOL

As we can see there is some small-medium scale development happening in this settlement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love this city. If not Addis this would be the other city I want to live in. I was in Ethiopia this past summer and I went to Adama to visit family. It is so beautiful there. Good job creating this thread. Can you tell us a little bit about the monument? What is it for? It looks amazing. I love how it is located at the enterance of the city.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts