SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Mister One Million
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sport Commission declares winner of new stadium design

Posted by Mamo Gebrehiwot on Jun 13th, 2012

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia – The Federal Sport Commission on Tuesday officially declared the winner of the new architectural design of new stadium that it plans to build around Imperial Hotel. The winner of the design, JDAW and its engineers, disclosed the would-be built 60,000-seater stadium which is expected to cost an estimated 1.6 billion birr.

The commission also indicated that further cost analysis would be revealed in the future.

Ethiopia had no proficient stadium that has FIFA’s standard and guideline. The only two stadiums are the Addis Ababa Stadium which was built by Emperor Hailesilassie and dates more around half a century and Abebe Bikila Stadium which is yet to be fully finished.

The commission is considering moving away from old tiny Addis Ababa Stadium whose current capacity is around 20,000. The commission believes that the old stadiums are preventing them from bringing in the kind of match day revenue enjoyed by other East African nations who have much bigger stadiums.

Till this day Addis Ababa Stadium is used for multipurpose functions including, religious celebrations, athletics event, public gathering, music concert and other activities that make it the busiest stadium.

In the last six decades, three different governments have reigned in Ethiopia while, Football lovers in Addis Ababa as well as across the country have been eagerly waiting for long to a see new stadium.

According to the commission, the new design would be exhibited at Addis Ababa Stadium in a bid to gather public comments.

The construction of the newly proposed stadium is expected to commence in 2014.
http://www.ethiosports.com/2012/06/13/sport-commission-declares-winner-of-new-stadium-design/

·
Lights of Africa
753 Posts
Great stadium. Ethiopia is something else, things are done in your country. Hope things like these could be done in kenya for once

·
Hanging the boots up
9,537 Posts
I don't like the stadium design, Ethiopia shouldnt have come up with something fancier.

Please display more renders!

·
Mister One Million
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the middle of residential area :?

How are they going to handle the traffic?
It's near Ring Road.

Right now the area is mixed residential/commercial, but it's clear that there will be more commercial development in the area in the future, given the hotels, offices, shops, and Ring Rd nearby.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Craver, I agree 100%!

I believe that the best location for football/basketball arenas is outside of the CBD area mainly becasue they require such a huge amount of land that can not be used on a daily basis. That is, in fact, whay about half of the football/basketball arenas in North America have tended to locate outside the fringes of CBDs.

By the way, what do you carve carver?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's a fantastic stadium, but I hope they will build it with at least 70 - 75 000 seater, rather a 60 000 seater. I also hope this stadium will only be a fotball stadium without the running track.

I also think we should tear down the old stadium an build a new one at the same spot. An 85 000 seater and with all that coms to track and field and with parking garage underneath and retail and restaurang services around. Then we could apply to IAAF for the track and field World Championchips in Addis Abeba!!!! What is your response to that??

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
^^ That would be ideal, but it's probably too expensive. We have other more important issue's to fix before we can justify two stadiums being built by the government. A football only stadium should be built by the clubs, gorgis and buna could share the costs.

·
Mister One Million
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a fantastic stadium, but I hope they will build it with at least 70 - 75 000 seater, rather a 60 000 seater. I also hope this stadium will only be a fotball stadium without the running track.

I also think we should tear down the old stadium an build a new one at the same spot. An 85 000 seater and with all that coms to track and field and with parking garage underneath and retail and restaurang services around. Then we could apply to IAAF for the track and field World Championchips in Addis Abeba!!!! What is your response to that??
I love that idea. My preference is for flagship stadiums to be built in city centers, like the current location or maybe in Lagare. Such a stadium would be easily reachable by train. But I think this location will work as well, at least the transport should be okay.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Design Competion (probably the second place winner)

Sorry to say, but it seems that the second place winners had better parking and transportation facilities incorporated into the design. :bash:

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
^^ Nice I'm convinced, the stadium will be amazing and unique. Parking will definitely be an issue though.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts