SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 268 Posts

·
Afritect
4,386 Posts
my bad bro, the story is Ethiopia will most probly. host African cup of nation in 2019 and the stadium will be complete by 2014
there is quite a bit of competition for the 2019 most countries aiming for it have already started building stadiums to in entice votes so ethopia needs to start building this stadium like this year ..................i do like the design thou

·
Banned
121 Posts
Nice stadium when completed I hope the Ethiopian FA should play the Nigeria Super Eagles current African champion to open up the stadium. It looks like Ethiopia is now taking this football thingy to the next level now perhaps Brazil 2014 world-cup would really showcase to the world that Ethiopia is really not only about long distance running anymore.

·
ye Kebele chairman
4,418 Posts
Residents make way for new stadium

By Staff Reporter
Monday, 06 January 2014 08:09

The area between Bole Medhanialem and Imperial Hotel is being cleared to make way for the construction of a 60,000-seat stadium, estimated to cost 1.6 billion birr. Residents of the area, commonly known as “Chereqa sefer, have been relocated, as many houses had to be demolished for the construction. Many squatters have also been removed from the area.

Last year in June the Federal Sport Commission officially declared the winner of the new architectural design of the new stadium that it plans to build. The Winner of the design was reportedly JDAW and its engineers.

The stadium will be Ethiopia’s first that is up to FIFA’s standards and guidelines. Currently there are only two stadiums in Addis Ababa. The Addis Ababa Stadium which was built by Emperor Haile Selassie half a century ago. Another stadium, which has yet to be fully finished, is Abebe Bikila Stadium. It was reported that the commission believes the old stadiums are preventing them from holding more football matches. In addition, the bigger stadium will generate more revenue, as is common for other nearby countries that have bigger stadiums.

Capital

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
^^The nearest station will be about a mile away at Megenagnia so I guess the answer is no. However, it is my understanding that there is a plan in the future to build an airport extension of the LRT.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
However, it is my understanding that there is a plan in the future to build an airport extension of the LRT.
Really? I couldn't find any of the future expansion plans for the LRT, except for the Lebu and Akaki extensions. Do u have any more info on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Super Eagles boss, Stephen Okechukwu Keshi and his Ethiopian counterpart, Sewnet Bishaw believe that it's about time Nigeria returned to the summit of African football with one of their players winning the coveted African Player of the Year Award. The awards are scheduled for Lagos, Nigeria next week.
Bishaw who spoke first also expressed his love for the Abuja National Stadium and wished it was in his native Ethiopia. "Nigeria was obviously the best football nation in Africa last year and I won't be surprised if a player from the country emerges the player of the year. They deserve to get the award. I also wish this beautiful stadium is somewhere in Addis Ababa", he said smiling.
Keshi on his part said it has been a very long time since a Nigerian won the African Footballer of the Year Crown and he is rooting for John Mikel Obi to emerge the best among the pack. "It will boost the team and Mikel and all Nigerians because it has been a long time since we last won the award and I know we deserve to win this year", he said.
On whether he will be happy to be named the African Coach of the Year, Keshi said he will play the wait and see game but added that it will be a great honour to be so named. Keshi who is primed for the award and may not depart with the national team to South Africa on Tuesday evening is favoured to bag the prestigious Coach of the Year Award.
source allAfrica.com
You got it Mr Sewnet.:cheers:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Quick question, will there be a light rail station nearby?
No my friend. it is about 1 km away from that location, but it is right off of the ring road and other major roads. Probably in their future plan they might consider to connect it. By the way I like your attitude man! We need guys with good humor like you, who shares nothing but development and ideas.

·
Registered
521 Posts
http://www.diretube.com/articles/re...ge-closer-look-hq-pics_1589.html#.UszdENIW2Hg

Bosse, who was one of the lead architects of the Beijing Watercube whilst at of PTW architects, has again combined new technology with traditional architectural principles. The façade of patterns are digitally created through a parametric of modeling and and are built with local materials.

Symbol LAVA, the Laboratory for Visionary Architecture, and Designsport collaborated with local Ethiopian firm JDAW to win the international architecture competition for a national stadium and The sports village, held by the Federal Sport Commission,

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I heard on this article at stadiumdb.com that the new Addis Ababa National Stadium may cost as little as ETB 1.6 billion, which translates to €61 million or US$83 million; that would be a really low price-tag for a brand-new stadium these days. The new National Stadium is to be based on sloped land with a partially sunken bowl.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
^^The nearest station will be about a mile away at Megenagnia so I guess the answer is no. However, it is my understanding that there is a plan in the future to build an airport extension of the LRT.
Well a mile isn't that long of a walk for transportation. They could create a pathway between the two and add shops along the way(makes the walk seem a lot shorter too). Maybe even add a street car between the two, until the light rail expands. Create a pedestrian-oriented urban village I guess you could call it. But then again I don't know what the area looks like, or how expensive it would be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
... But then again I don't know what the area looks like, or how expensive it would be....
EriFly

That actually explains your suggestion by itself. There already are too many shops, on both sides of the street between Megenagna and Bole. To do what you have suggested, they would have to reconstruct the entire area, demolish everything, including huge buildings a massive church, at least one mall, countless residences...Oh boy! That will just not be only too expensive, but the cost will sky rocket, it will build another small Addis Ababa... :)

·
Sewyew
339 Posts
I think the nearest LRT stop to the New Stadium site is 22 Mazoria and not Megenagna. An LRT branch that branches to Djibuti street from 22 to Medhanealem Cathedral will be a good alternative route to access the stadium by mass transit public transportation.

If I remember correctly, the LRT will be not be elevated at that 22 stop, so a branch that extends to the New Stadium site and upto Medhanealem /Edna Mall area will be on relatively level terrain and be 2 km long. That will mean two to three stops on this segment. This might be a very profitable segment of the LRT as it is a mid-to high income area and full of businesses and spenders.

If the govern't will allow a private company to build that with a concession of 15-20 years, everyone will be a winner!

EriFly

That actually explains your suggestion by itself. There already are too many shops, on both sides of the street between Megenagna and Bole. To do what you have suggested, they would have to reconstruct the entire area, demolish everything, including huge buildings a massive church, at least one mall, countless residences...Oh boy! That will just not be only too expensive, but the cost will sky rocket, it will build another small Addis Ababa... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
there is quite a bit of competition for the 2019 most countries aiming for it have already started building stadiums to in entice votes so ethopia needs to start building this stadium like this year ..................i do like the design thou
Unfortunately, the deadline for bidding countries for the 2019 and 2021 has already passed, and Ethiopia didn't even put in a bid. 2015 and 2017 are already set for Morocco and Libya respectively. May we can be ready for 2023, we are def. not ready till then anyway, meaning infrastructure and stadiums wise.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Unfortunately, the deadline for bidding countries for the 2019 and 2021 has already passed, and Ethiopia didn't even put in a bid. 2015 and 2017 are already set for Morocco and Libya respectively. May we can be ready for 2023, we are def. not ready till then anyway, meaning infrastructure and stadiums wise.
Damn, talk about a downer. They need to plan ahead.

41 - 60 of 268 Posts