SkyscraperCity banner

3281 - 3293 of 3293 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Theres no doubting that the increase in Go Zones would have boosted patronage overall, but the number of people losing their nearest route was quite high. Adelaide would have had the longest walk up distances to PT of any capital city.

The distances are not unreasonable.....I have walked that far myself to get home late night.

Bus Network (2)_LI.jpg

I have highlighted what I consider problem areas in terms of coverage.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Mate, Im not arguing, for most people that’s a perfectly reasonable walk, however for the elderly, disabled, parents with young children etc you can’t really have much more than the orthodox 400m walk up distance which is used by most transit agencies, and bus networks do need to provide a social function as well as a mass transit function (As much as that interferes with pure efficiency)

If it were say a grid of go zones based around 800m walk distance, and then say secondary routes at 1 hour frequency then that probably would have been accepted more broadly.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If it were say a grid of go zones based around 800m walk distance, and then say secondary routes at 1 hour frequency then that probably would have been accepted more broadly.
Not trying to start an argument, just offering a different viewpoint.
I think the proposed network would meet this criteria (apart from the 2 problem areas I have highlighted)

Unfortunately Adelaide is not a rich enough city (nor more importantly a dense enough city, it really is a low density sprawl, but Perth is as well you say, but WA is far richer than SA, and Perth would have a lower median age than Adelaide ie more families in those suburban homes) to have public transport available every 400 metres.

The proposed network really does reflect where Adelaide people go on public transport. When not going home they are going to "the shops/services centre" "the school/university" "the beach" and off course the CBD.

Adelaide is not really a "grid" city...its "radial" and the bus routes reflect that.

Even if Labor was still in power the northern suburbs bus routes were to re-organized after the electrification of the Gawler line so that duplicating services into the CBD were eliminated. And of course the same was expected down south with the opening of the Flinders Line.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think of it like this.

It was say, 500 stops closed.

A 10km route would have 25 stops roughly.

Thus we need 20 routes retained to maintain social coverage.

If those social coverage routes run hourly, its the equivalent of having say 5 fewer go zones in the plan.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The whole "bus stop" argument is quite confusing because the only numbers quoted were the bus tops to close and never the new bus stops created on the new routes. For example 2 old routes were to be closed but a new route proposed between them creating new bus stops.

And also there was so little analysis in the Adelaide media about the actual changes ie do do you need a bus route mirroring any of the train lines.....how many people will be 800 metres or more from public transport? Just because there is no local bus route doesn't necessarily mean no public transport....

I fear the capitulation of SA Liberal government to nay-sayers has set back the cause of reform years...if not decades.
We may not even see something something as simple and needed as the renumbering happen now.

Peter Parker on his MelbourneOnTransit blog claims the reforms would increased the numbers of Adelaidians on a Go-Zone bus route from 500,000 to 700,000.

·
Registered
551 Posts
International transport consultant Jarrett Walker (he has worked in Australia) has written a column with his response to Adelaide's failed bus network revamp.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The whole "bus stop" argument is quite confusing because the only numbers quoted were the bus tops to close and never the new bus stops created on the new routes. For example 2 old routes were to be closed but a new route proposed between them creating new bus stops.
Umm Where did that happen?

It was basically just Go Zones on main roads (And to Adelaides credit, their main roads have stops anyway) so the new go zones were just routing onto them.

What happened is they did these go zones on main roads, but deleted the welfare routes that snaked mid block.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Here's an overlay of the current network (grey) and the cancelled proposal (colour) so you can see where service was removed or rerouted.

adl old new.jpg

·
Registered
551 Posts
Great map Gazza2 !!!

Do you mind if I post it in the world forums? (with an attribution to you)

·
Registered
551 Posts
And also I was thinking of posting on Sensational Adelaide as well....(and of course with you as author/creator)

3281 - 3293 of 3293 Posts