Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
World's Most Livable 2019

Time to tell your smug New York friends that they’ve made the wrong life choice: The world’s most liveable cities are generally less global capital, more regional second city, a new ranking shows.

Vienna took the No. 1 spot in the Economist Intelligence Unit’s liveability ranking for the second year running, confirming that life is officially better on the banks of the Danube than it is by the Yarra River in Melbourne, which took second place.

Australia and Canada dominate the top 10 with three cities each, while Osaka, Tokyo and Copenhagen complete the list. Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide are judged to offer the Antipodes’ best quality of life, while Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto are North America’s top locations.

“Overall, our index remains dominated by medium-sized cities in wealthy countries,” the report notes, pointing to high-quality education, well-funded public healthcare and functional transport systems. These cities—with populations that number anywhere from 300,000 to 1 million—hit the sweet spot between overcrowded and underdeveloped.

The World’s Most Liveable Cities, 2019
Mid-sized locations in wealthy countries dominate the list

Source: The Economist Intelligence Unit

Note: Toronto, Tokyo share 7th place.

“The upsides of these cities tend to be fully realized. You get a good collection of cultural activities, you get good access to healthcare and education,” said EIU’s regional director for Asia, Duncan Innes-Ker. “But you don’t get a lot of downsides that tend to come with big cities, things like traffic congestion, crime problems and general wear and tear.”

Financial hubs London (No. 48) and New York (No. 58) lagged behind other domestic rivals. Hong Kong and Singapore fared better—but not much, charting at No. 38 and No. 40 respectively. Hong Kong’s ranking overlooked for now the recent political unrest, but the disruption will likely show up next year.

“I think it’s probably safe to say that Hong Kong’s rating will suffer quite significantly,” Innes-Ker said.

To assess living conditions, the index examines the quality of healthcare, education, infrastructure, stability and culture. Each city is graded on more than 30 factors, which are then compiled into a weighted score of between 1 and 100.

At 99.1, Vienna’s 2019 liveability score is almost perfect. Melburnians and others shouldn’t feel too put out though: The scores among the top 20 cities vary by less than five points. No U.S. city made it higher than No. 22, with Honolulu ranked as the nation’s top performer.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
World's Most Livable 2019

The world’s most liveable cities are generally less global capital, more regional second city, a new ranking shows.
This explains Brisbane's exclusion from this list.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
The world’s least liveable cities 2019

1. Damascus, Syria
2. Lagos, Nigeria
3. Dhaka, Bangladesh
4. Tripoli, Libya
5. Karachi, Pakistan
6. Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
7. Harare, Zimbabwe
8. Douala, Cameroon
9. Algiers, Algeria
10. Caracas, Venezuela

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I expect Sydney to be 2nd on the survey next year behind Vienna following opening of metro / light rail / missing motorways over the past and coming 12 months.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Brisbane is not regional, nor is Perth. Is this going to start the SSC my city is better than yours thread again?
lol most likely, people seem to get triggered over petty stuff like this. :eek:hno:

What we should be more proud of is Australia as a whole and what great things each city is doing to contribute to this great country.

·
Here we go again
1,610 Posts
I'm actually pretty surprised Aussie cities make it onto these lists at all. Infrastructure, healthcare, and safety are definitely our strong points, but culture and environment is something i don't understand how we do so well in. Yes, even for Melbourne.

You can't seriously be telling me that Aussie cities are more cultural and have better living environments in terms of aesthetics and functionality than most western european cities?

·
Aesthetics
1,719 Posts
I'm actually pretty surprised Aussie cities make it onto these lists at all. Infrastructure, healthcare, and safety are definitely our strong points, but culture and environment is something i don't understand how we do so well in. Yes, even for Melbourne.

You can't seriously be telling me that Aussie cities are more cultural and have better living environments in terms of aesthetics and functionality than most western european cities?
Buddy...do not put us all in the same basket...keep your disinterest in culture for yourself and stick with your bogan buddies, so the rest of us can pursue finer things in life!

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
3,958 Posts
Who cares? You could have ten different surveys and get ten different results.Should be taken with a grain of salt!
not having an opinion "can" be worse than having one though

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
3,958 Posts
Buddy...do not put us all in the same basket...keep your disinterest in culture for yourself and stick with your bogan buddies, so the rest of us can pursue finer things in life!
i dont think he cares or needs to care

·
Registered
138 Posts
not that i care that much but it would be interesting to know why Brisbane always comes in 5th out of the 5 major capitals? Perhaps quality of hospitals and education isn't quite as good or is because Pauline Hanson and Peter Dutton have taken root here?

·
Registered
461 Posts
What I take from these surveys is all major Australian cities are great, and from my understanding of the ranking/ scores awarded there is very little to separate the top 10 and even the top 20.

Life is generally good in Aus, but I think we are complacent with how easy we have had it, particularly over the last 150 or so years.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.