1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
City, minus rain, has 63 weeks' water

Rachel Kleinman and David Rood
June 15, 2007

MELBOURNE has just 63 weeks' of water left in its dams, based on zero rainfall during that time, according to forecasts by a leading water expert.

Professor Peter Cullen, a commissioner with the National Water Commission, calculated that while Melbourne's dams contained 63 weeks' supply, Sydney's had 101 weeks and Adelaide's had just 32 weeks. Brisbane's and Canberra's dams contained 68 weeks' supply, and Perth's 65 weeks.

Professor Cullen made the forecasts at a corporate water forum in Melbourne yesterday.

The figures were based on the present levels of water restrictions in each state and assumed no rainfall over that period.

Melbourne's water stores yesterday remained at 28.5 per cent, holding nearly 505,000 million litres. This time last year, the city's dams were 48.6 per cent full, holding 862,000 million litres.

Melbourne Water chief executive Rob Skinner said yesterday that while reservoir storages had stabilised with recent rains, the level of rain over the next two to three weeks was critical to whether the city would move to stage 4 water restrictions from August 1.

"The filling season traditionally starts in the next month or two … so if the rains come, we could avoid stage 4," Mr Skinner said.

Mr Skinner said storages were losing around 200 megalitres a day, compared with 10 times that amount over summer.

Water Minister John Thwaites said if reasonable rain fell over the next month, reservoir levels could be expected to rise above the stage 4 trigger level.

Grant Beard, a meteorologist with the National Climate Centre, said a La Nina event — which usually brings above-average rainfall — was likely to occur in 2007, but its development had stalled.

Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu said it was "acutely obvious" that the Government did not know what it was doing with water policy.

"They are obviously crawling towards a decision," Mr Baillieu said. "The suspense is robbing us of security."

The Government is considering four projects, including a desalination plant, to increase Melbourne's water supplies.

But Premier Steve Bracks said the new deadline for plans would not have a bearing on when an announcement was made on the water projects.

Meanwhile, Melburnians will pay more for their water to fund a new sewer to run under Docklands. The 2.4-kilometre sewer, which could cost up to $200 million, will replace the existing waste system, which was built 110 years ago.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/city-has-63-weeks-water/2007/06/14/1181414466873.html

------------------------------

I can't remember who, but someone from SEQ said something along the lines of "don't worry, you have plenty of time left" in regard to building a recycling or desal plant. This is unsettling, as SEQ has already got their desal well under way, and they could last longer with no rainfall than Melbourne could!

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
Actually i think WA has been in water crisis for 3 decades! Go the Black Swan!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Why aren't you guys on L5 restrictions like us? We're going L6 in a couple months. Seems strange if its so desperate that Melbourne isn't doing more to help themselves.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why aren't you guys on L5 restrictions like us? We're going L6 in a couple months. Seems strange if its so desperate that Melbourne isn't doing more to help themselves.
We only have 1-4. Melbourne is on 3a which is roughly equivalent to QLDs level 5. QLD's level 6 is equivalent to Victoria's level 4.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Be great if along with the federal takeover of the Murray-Darling they could also standardise water restriction categorisation.

·
transatlanticism
1,449 Posts
The state water restrictions are confusing, they all should be the same
but why on earth would you place the same restrictions on ALL states?

look at Tasmania for instance, it has a multitude of water.

·
Proud Victorian!
7,803 Posts
They're forecasting good rain in the next two days, however I'll believe it when I see it.

The problem is, is that Melbourne is the only city in Australia (aside from Hobart and Darwin) that has no major water infrastructure projects planned - and even if something was proposed tomorrow, we'd still be fucked as it would take years to bypass the decision of where the project would be built, protests, money blow-outs, controversies, problems with the project etc etc.

The fact is, Bracks had his chance to save us and the population from decreasing but his time was up when we hit 30%.

I rekon we will move back up above 30% in winter/spring but it will tumble down again in summer.

Something needs to be done urgently and if it doesn't rain this winter or spring, then I'm sorry to say but Melbourne will be a very different place!

·
1,034 Posts

i think he meant restrictions being all of the same standard...as in stage 4 in victoria being the same as stage 4 in qld.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts

Maybe George Bush should impose the same water restrictions everywhere. After all, America invented Freedom.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
They're forecasting good rain in the next two days, however I'll believe it when I see it.

The problem is, is that Melbourne is the only city in Australia (aside from Hobart and Darwin) that has no major water infrastructure projects planned - and even if something was proposed tomorrow, we'd still be fucked as it would take years to bypass the decision of where the project would be built, protests, money blow-outs, controversies, problems with the project etc etc.

The fact is, Bracks had his chance to save us and the population from decreasing but his time was up when we hit 30%.

I rekon we will move back up above 30% in winter/spring but it will tumble down again in summer.

Something needs to be done urgently and if it doesn't rain this winter or spring, then I'm sorry to say but Melbourne will be a very different place!
This is total bullshit. What did Kennett do for our water supply? Corporatize it so it could be sold off. What water/sewerage infrastructure was built in the Kennett years? Absolutely nothing.

What has the Bracks Government done so far? Implemented the construction of pipelines from the Goulburn to Bendigo/Ballarat, and from the Grampians to the Wimmera, which in the last instance was loosing three-quarters of the water by seepage and evaporation in open channels. Should have been done almost a century ago. Name the politicians who didn't do it.

Melbourne ... so you say we should have more water infrastructure. Where? Ted Baillieu says the Maribyrnong ... get real, it isn't Bracks or Baillieu who determine good sites for dams, it's hydrologists. And The Maribyrnong isn't, and that's why it's never been built.

Those of you who are old enough will remember a debate about moving water from Big River (a tributary of the Goulburn) to Melbourne. It was politically unpopular, and the proposition died. Certainly wouldn't get up today ... or would it?

The other thing Bracks (or his Government) is about at the moment is ensuring that Murray/Darling water isn't just a Federal matter ... Melbourne isn't in the Murray/Darling Basin but the need to take water from it was being canvassed forty years ago: when Bolte was still in Spring St.

Come on, Bracks-Bashers: be honest ... if you think more (Victorian) rivers should be dammed, which rivers are you talking about?

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
^^ it could come to that ... tonight the issue of "water being stolen from north of the divide" was in the news again.

The simple fact is that most Victorian rivers worth damming have already been dammed: exceptions: the Mitchell & Tambo in Central Gippsland, and the Ovens above Bright.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
This is total bullshit. What did Kennett do for our water supply? Corporatize it so it could be sold off. What water/sewerage infrastructure was built in the Kennett years? Absolutely nothing.

What has the Bracks Government done so far? Implemented the construction of pipelines from the Goulburn to Bendigo/Ballarat, and from the Grampians to the Wimmera, which in the last instance was loosing three-quarters of the water by seepage and evaporation in open channels. Should have been done almost a century ago. Name the politicians who didn't do it.

Melbourne ... so you say we should have more water infrastructure. Where? Ted Baillieu says the Maribyrnong ... get real, it isn't Bracks or Baillieu who determine good sites for dams, it's hydrologists. And The Maribyrnong isn't, and that's why it's never been built.

Those of you who are old enough will remember a debate about moving water from Big River (a tributary of the Goulburn) to Melbourne. It was politically unpopular, and the proposition died. Certainly wouldn't get up today ... or would it?

The other thing Bracks (or his Government) is about at the moment is ensuring that Murray/Darling water isn't just a Federal matter ... Melbourne isn't in the Murray/Darling Basin but the need to take water from it was being canvassed forty years ago: when Bolte was still in Spring St.

Come on, Bracks-Bashers: be honest ... if you think more (Victorian) rivers should be dammed, which rivers are you talking about?
:applause: Very well said. It galls me that the Feds wanted to control some Vic rivers that are completely seperate from the MD basin. So I say good on Bracks for holding out. Either he'll get a better deal for Vic alone, or he'll get a better deal for all the states. Either way it's win win in my opinion.

·
Proud Victorian!
7,803 Posts
All the rain forecast for Melbourne has been a total flop. They were saying that the dams should get 50mm or so but they got 0mm and right now it's clear blue skies outside!

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
A pregnant statement yesterday ... which has led to a new thread in this forum today.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
All the rain forecast for Melbourne has been a total flop. They were saying that the dams should get 50mm or so but they got 0mm and right now it's clear blue skies outside!
Woot Melbourne and Perth can be Sister Cities of the Sun. We are meant to have over 100mm in June and to date Perth has had just 9mm.

Furthermore any rain is light, it's also really cold in Perth at the moment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts