Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
moonage daydream
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LONELY Planet said so. New York Magazine agreed. And now Adelaide has been voted the best city in Australia by reviewers on travel booking site Wotif.com.

The City of Churches earned the highest score of the nation’s capitals, narrowly beating Hobart.

It follows several accolades for Adelaide, which was the only Australian city listed in the Lonely Planet top 10 list of the world’s top cities to visit in 2014.

Last year, the New York Magazine wrote that tourists should bypass Sydney for a stay in Adelaide, and the Chicago Tribune sang the city’s praises, saying “You can’t design a city better than this one.”

“Proving it’s not only a great travel destination but that it also ticks all of the boxes, it’s no wonder Adelaide was named one of the world’s top 10 cities to visit this year,” Wotif.com product director Donna Rodios said.

When it comes to the bragging rights in the much-celebrated Melbourne v Sydney rivalry, the Victorian capital took the honours.

Melbourne was rated third, while the Harbour City was outranked by Brisbane, Perth and Canberra.

Only Darwin scored worse than the New South Wales capital.

Couples were the most likely traveller-type to provide high rankings across the cities, except Melbourne and Canberra, which appealed most to those travelling with friends.

The rankings are based on Wotif.com’s database of more than 950,000 Australian hotel reviews.

For all the rubbish dumped on Adelaide by fellow Australians, more and more international visitors are taking note of its unique charms.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Adelaide certainly is making a name for itself.

The one qualifying statement though, which is important in any survey: Whats the sample size though for each city though? It would be good if that data was included.

I do like Adelaide though. It has a lot going for it.

·
I need to find myself
5,580 Posts
I suppose Ballina has a review score higher than 5. That is the only reason to explain why it doesn't make onto the list.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
What type of people are rating this? How low Sydney ranked is telling of the surveys flaws.
"The rankings are based on Wotif.com’s database of more than 950,000 Australian hotel reviews."

This seems to indicate the survey is based off the hotel reviews, which makes it hard to understand the logic behind how this is relevant in any way to a rating of a city/destination.

·
Environmental Busybody
13,831 Posts
Those top three are about right I think, they're the cities with a nice 'feel' about them. The other Australian cities are not designed for people, they're generic and sterile.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
You look at it, and really its a pat on the back for all Australian cities.

I do think reviews by Lonely Planet etc might be more credible as they are more anayltical and go into greater depth.

I remember telling people last year I was going to visit Adelaide, gave me the strange looks and now I can shove these reports into their faces along with my personal experiences. I think alot of people will be surprised at what it offers.

·
Registered
378 Posts
As someone who just spent 7 years in SA, 5 of those in Adelaide, for tourists, there really isnt much there. The key to holidaying in Adelaide is to leave the place and see the beautiful countryside. Try the wineries at Barossa, Clare, Bushwalk through the Flinders Ranges or swim with a shark/dolphin/tuna in Port Lincoln, Eyre Peninsula

·
Registered
597 Posts

I used to work in Adelaide 1 week a month for about 6 months so for a short time it became my little home away from home.

For a city of it's size I think Adelaide is brilliant. The post is correct, the design of the city grid is unmatched in Australia.

Glenelg would be my number 1 beach side town/city in Australia, I used to go there every time before heading to the airport.

Also to sort of agree with the above poster, the outer city towns in the Barossa Valley and the towns passed the Lofty ranges are well worth a visit and so close.

I don't agree with Sydney in 7th but I am not going to argue with Adelaide in number 1.

·
Optimist
7,409 Posts
Out of all of them I'm most impressed with Darwin! A city that is 1/30th the size of Sydney , that most people don't know about, let alone visit, ranks close to the same? Smells a little fishy to me...

·
I need to find myself
5,580 Posts
Are you questioning its selection process?

·
..- ... . .-.
761 Posts
The Wotif reviewers are clearly saying that Adelaide has the best hotels in Australia (on average), not that it is the best city. That is still a win though.

As for the other sources, a tourist going to a 1 million city is looking for a different holiday than a tourist going to a 5 million city, and Adelaide seems to match the expectations of their tourists better than Sydney or Melbourne. A bigger city will attract more attention, but it isn't necessarily a better holiday.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Adelaide is good : )....if you make a vote that make the best city in Australia leaving out 'most' of the other cities I think it should win..it is good, it is great and it is wonderful.I like it a lot...I do...

for those that read this as a put down I am not happy as I real truly like Adelaide !

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
950, 000 reviews and the difference between first and last is only 0.25 stars out of 5. That seems fairly unscientific. Most people probably donkey vote a 4 unless they have a particularly good or bad experience.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Those top three are about right I think, they're the cities with a nice 'feel' about them. The other Australian cities are not designed for people, they're generic and sterile.
What utter shit. Stupidist comment I've seen in a long while.

Well done Adelaide.

Melbourne and Canberra are rated highly by friends - perhaps expats who rate their cities by sentimentality.

Otherwise another pointless survey.

·
Registered
11,509 Posts
I'm just happy Hobart made it to number two. It appears that people do appreciate the city. I've always thought it was a fantastic, underrated place.

I disagree with Sydney's low ranking. For me it's easily in the top three (I'd place it at number one but I have a soft spot for my hometown) and it beats Perth no contest, which imo, is very overrated as far as Australian cities go.

Adelaide never thrilled me much. It has some nice architecture, but I had a better time outside the city (in the Barossa Valley) than I did in there. It just seemed incredibly dull.

This is just another one of those meaningless, silly lists.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Then why is Sydney ranked so low? Well the problem with Sydney is that it's externally a public celebrity, with an authentic personality that takes some digging to get to know.
Sydney has a fantastic and very accepting feel, what ever kind of person you are there's a neighbourhood for you. Next time you're here come to Newtown, Paddington, Potts Point and Surry Hills etc to see what this city is really about.

This is what Sydney is to me:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts