1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More room, so Oval picks up Cup games
By RICHARD EARLE
16may06
THE Socceroos will host Asian Cup qualification rival Lebanon at Adelaide Oval on August 31 - arguably returning Hindmarsh Stadium to white elephant status.

The purpose-built Hindmarsh facility's prohibitive 15,000 capacity undermined its claims to stage a clash which is expected to attract 30,000 fans.

It is understood the event-hungry South Australian Cricket Association contributed about $80,000 to secure the match, which will feature the warriors of Australia's World Cup campaign.

The Football Federation of Australia prefers a dual-venue policy in capital cities.

This would relegate Hindmarsh to staging lower profile fixtures such as July's Asian Women's Championships and Olyroos games.

"Having multiple venues in a city is very, very useful and actually equips Adelaide very nicely so they are actually hosting a Socceroos game here (Adelaide Oval) and an Asian Womens' Cup game at Hindmarsh Stadium," said FFA head of operations Matt Carroll. Premier Mike Rann said Hindmarsh was not a white elephant despite the FFA's desire to play major internationals at Adelaide Oval.

"What we were concerned with were the financial accountability issues that went with the stadium and that was well articulated with the debate through the Parliament," Mr Rann said in defence of the venue, which has received substantial assistance from the State Government.

"Adelaide United has demonstrated not only the success of soccer in this state but also the strong support for soccer in this state."

However, if Adelaide United hosts an A-League grand final it would have to consider switching the match, as it did last season, to Adelaide Oval to meet ticket demand.

The August 31 date is a designated international FIFA date, meaning Australia could feasibly call on English premier league superstars including Liverpool's Harry Kewell and Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka - but that is not likely.

Most of the Socceroos based outside England will make the trip to Adelaide, headed by hometown hero and Alaves striker John Aloisi.

FFA is planning for a monster crowd with fans still basking in a World Cup afterglow.

"There is a strong football community here in SA and I have no doubt we will have a big turnout at Adelaide Oval," Mr Carroll said.

An SA Police spokeswoman said it was too early to comment on projected need for an increased presence at the Australia-Lebanon game, despite the lingering stigma of last December's Cronulla riots.

PAGES 8,9: Why not use the Oval as a major city sport venue

PAGES 96, 97: All your World Cup and Champions League final news

·
Banned
481 Posts
Quote:

"FFA is planning for a monster crowd with fans still basking in a World Cup afterglow."

I have heard a rumour that thousands of Lebanese people from Sydney will be going to this game. I have a feeling, just a feeling, that Lebanon will have more support from the crowd than Australia.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Crap decision. This should be played at a football ground and some of the money made put towards developing a better football ground.

Oh and unless someone spends the money for temp seating, the crowd will be far less than 30k, FIFA require internationals to be played in assigned seating stadiums. The hills will be empty.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Amaruu said:
Quote:

"FFA is planning for a monster crowd with fans still basking in a World Cup afterglow."

I have heard a rumour that thousands of Lebanese people from Sydney will be going to this game. I have a feeling, just a feeling, that Lebanon will have more support from the crowd than Australia.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Whether you're joking or not, thanks anyway, was a good laugh ;)

·
Banned
481 Posts
sydney_lad said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Whether you're joking or not, thanks anyway, was a good laugh ;)
Lol.

I was serious. I have a Lebanese mate in Adelaide who has cousins in Sydney. Alot of them are planning the trek to Adelaide for the game.

Apparently the security for the match will be beefed up.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Amaruu said:
Lol.

I was serious. I have a Lebanese mate in Adelaide who has cousins in Sydney. Alot of them are planning the trek to Adelaide for the game.

Apparently the security for the match will be beefed up.
Well i think your mate is winding you up ;)

Most lebos here in Sydney couldnt give a shit about football, they only follow Rugby League, Bulldogs fans mostly.

I can pretty safely say, there wont be many Lebos at the match.

I'll ask a few of my Lebo mates anyway, they'll probably get a laugh out of it too ;)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still puzzled why Adelaide Oval has won the host match

You would think Testra Stadium or Suncorp would of won it, because they have a greater crowd capacity and are better stadiums to watch soccer

but im glad Adelaide won the bid!!

·
Banned
481 Posts
sydney_lad said:
Well i think your mate is winding you up ;)

Most lebos here in Sydney couldnt give a shit about football, they only follow Rugby League, Bulldogs fans mostly.

I can pretty safely say, there wont be many Lebos at the match.

I'll ask a few of my Lebo mates anyway, they'll probably get a laugh out of it too ;)

They may not give a shit about football, but they are certainly passionate about Lebanon.

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
^ indeed, look at Australia in the world cup, most of us couldn't give a stuff about the socceroos until we won the right to qualify for the World Cup. but I guess it's the FFA's approach to get the whole of Australia to get some football, v Greece in Melbourne, v Uruguay was in Sydney and now v Lebanon in Adelaide

here's a photo of the Adelaide Oval with rugby configuration, if you were in the top of the stands you would be like really far from the action. I hope they put up some temporary TV screens there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wasn't this game to be played at central coast stadium??? why was this gamed moved to adelaide??
maybe they don't want a repeat of what happened in cronulla at gosford.

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
lions2006 said:
Wasn't this game to be played at central coast stadium??? why was this gamed moved to adelaide??
maybe they don't want a repeat of what happened in cronulla at gosford.
what happened in cronulla can happen anywhere, I don't think they would put it in a 20,000 stadium in Gosford

I think this was more about every Australian capital getting their own piece of international football.

but AAMI stadium would've been the bigger place to host in Adelaide..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts