Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there I thought Id post some pictures of Adelaides distinct and unique bluestone architecture. These are of the little row cottages and terraces that exist around the little hidden back streets south of Victoria Square. Let me know if they dont work.

Below is along North Terrace

Below: some row cottages along Frome St

Nice terrace houses along Carrington St

Below: also Carrington St

Below: Carrington St again

Nice terraces around Hurtle Square, the most prestigous square to live

Below: Hurtle Sq again with nice gardens

Below: row cottages along Halifax St

If they work Ive got quite a few to post

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Heres some more taken on a nice sunny winters afternoon

Halifax St

Below: some Sturt Street shops

Below: Sturt Street Primary School. 1 of the 2 original schools still open

Just off Gilbert St

Below: Somewhere off Gilbert St

Below: a nice little St off Wright St

Below: these cottages are nice and cute now, but these little streets of the West End were the rough and tough slums of Adl from 1860's to 1900's

·
Registered
539 Posts
Great pics, eastadl! :) I'm a little surprised by some of those pics. I'd always heard that Adelaide had great bluestone buildings, but I didn't expect some of those terraces to look so urbane. That first one especially, and the Carrington St terraces, are very impressive.

·
transatlanticism
1,449 Posts
excellent pictures eastadl.

there are some very nice townhouses on south tce opposite the rose garden if you ever wanted to check them out. :D

the inner suburbs are great for these kind of cottages too. wayville, kent town, eastwood, parkside and st peters have some very nice ones.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,735 Posts
nice thread, full of surprises. I always think of those sandstone facades for Adelaide houses, and I guess these terraces had just passed me by ...maybe because it's a lighter bluestone than Melbourne's.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Awesome shots, the North Tce terraces are my favourite. But the Carrington St ones look real nice.

There are some beautiful historic cottages and terraces in Adelaide.

JAKJ said:
There are plenty more in North Adelaide and is some inner-suburb areas... us Adelaide forumers really need to be more pro-active with the camera!
Haha, yeah we do. I wanna do a photo special in the suburbs during the holidays.

But the weather hasn't been the best to take photos, plus I'm lazy :cheers:

·
Expert
933 Posts
really nice! i take it these small picturesque cottages are quite expencive?

bluestone is kinda out of this world for me, i don't think i've ever seen a house with that cladding here around, but then again we had plenty still have plenty of wood to build with.

is bluestone still used today? is it an expencive material to build in/clad in?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
really nice! i take it these small picturesque cottages are quite expencive?

bluestone is kinda out of this world for me, i don't think i've ever seen a house with that cladding here around, but then again we had plenty still have plenty of wood to build with.

is bluestone still used today? is it an expencive material to build in/clad in?
Yeah bluestone facades are still used today but you can tell the difference between an old authentic house and a new one, in a second. Some 70's and 80's houses when they renovate, try out a stone front but it really doesnt look right at all. Infact they look so out of place. And yeah, because of a lack of natural forrests in our state, there are no wooden houses here and large blue/sand stone quarries were developed in the Adl hills quite close to the city in the 19th century

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.