SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
77,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much is said about Adelaides tallest building maybe because everyone is not happy with it? used to it? At 135m and 31storeys ,its the citys tallest structure and has been since 1988.
Designed by Woods & Bagot Architects, it has an unusal 6-sided floor plan.
It has a net let area of 31,678 m2.It was valued at $51mil in 2004 and is currently 99% occupied!
When completed it was known as State Bank Centre. It overtook the 103m Grenfell Centre on completion.
Whats everyone's thoughts of Adelaides numero uno? Are you happy with it? Does it need a revamp? Should they open a top floor observation deck? add a 17m spire??lol

soars to height of Sydney Harbour Bridge!

not a bad view from roof! (from 2001)
Santos property should look at setting aside some are on lev31 for public observation. Imagine the profits?? I reckon heaps of people would venture up there!!

peering down on Adelaides 2nd,3rd & 4th tallest!

·
Registered
77,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres a scale diagram showing Santos with current tallest. Ive added a spire/antenna to show what it would look like at 175m. i think any higher and spire would look too tall. Also top floor ob deck would be approx 122m pr 400ft up. not a bad height?

what you think?

·
Registered
77,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
incidentally, Santos house is the states 8th tallest structure, only the chimneys at Port Pirie,Port Augusta,Torrens isl and masts at Port Pirie & Mt Lofty (ch2 & 9) are higher.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks for the diagrams Cul.

Haven't seen any done for Adelaide before.

Santos is an "okay" building for it's time. I think it's appeal comes from it's simplicity, but mostly from the fact that it's our tallest.

I'd prefer to have a new tall landmark with an ob deck, but as that's unlikely to happen in the near future, I'd welcome a spire with one for Santos.

·
Weather Observer
79 Posts
I actually like the building, and it looks more commanding in real life when viewed from across the other side of Currie st, or right below it. Mainly cos of its very flat faces and windows side by side, and on top of each other. Simple and commanding.

Love the shots Cull :D havent seen any from the roof before I don't think so cheers for that :) and also the extra info re other tall structures. Had a rough idea that the Mt.Lofty masts and the Torrens Island were taller (think u poointed that out to me before once) but didn't know re Pt.Pirie cos I aint been there!

·
6,436 Posts
I quite like Santos House - there's not really anything to hate about it, just an simple unobtrusive skyscraper. Are those 4 plant floors included in the floor count?

So this spire, are you just speculating Cul or is it something that may actually happen?

·
Registered
77,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think theres 31 office levels & a total of 35?
the spire is just my proposal.lol

·
Banned
719 Posts
great info on adelaides tower, i heard some rumours that theres a 150m glass observation tower (meant to look like the washington monument) proposed for victoria square? my bets on that its not true but just wondering. and can we refurbish the tower? the browns getting on me a little cos i reckon that iron ore problem in whyallas starting to hover over here as well.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I personally like the Santos Building. It's nothing spectacular, but its simple lines have a certain elegance about them. The idea of an observation deck, should seriously be considered. The view is very impressive, and I'm sure that it would receive a good number of tourists to make it financially viable. Maybe a restaurant up there could work.

·
Registered
77,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump. i thouight it would be appropriate. my design has a top floor ob deck.

·
Registered
77,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
to give you an idea how masive Sydney's new WESTPAC is, it has reached lev32 or 134.5m high, so about same height as Santos hs.
it looks so fat.

·
Registered
77,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol, its just ridiculously big. look at this pic.
not only is is widest in Australia at 80m, but its 65m thick! which is about double the size of most large office towers.might have to have its own postcode.lol

1 - 20 of 182 Posts