SkyscraperCity banner

2081 - 2091 of 2091 Posts

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,081
THE FORUM INDEX WILL NO LONGER BE UPDATED

30th April 2020.

It is with genuine sadness that I have to inform members that I will no longer be updating our “Index to Factual Posts” thread, here on the Newcastle Metro Area Forum.

Over the last ten years I have been able to provide tens of thousands of links to all the many genuine factual posts here on this forum, in the Index Thread. The Index is permanently “pinned” near the top of the forum. I have endeavoured to maintain the Index to a level of 100%, which has meant that if members and researchers have ever needed to find any information at all about the Newcastle area, then all they had to do was look it up in the alphabetical index and then follow the link.

Sadly, this level of “completeness” is no longer possible, as the new upgraded SSC site simply does not allow such large posts (like our ‘individual letter’ posts in the Index) to be added to, and there are numerous other limitations and problems with the new site (impinging on this function) that I won’t bore you with the details of. I have tried hard this last month to resolve them, without success.

So, it is impossible for me to continue with this.

In recent weeks alone there have been almost 100 excellent factual posts that I have not been able to link from the Index, such as Ken O’Heed’s amazing “fifteen historic posts” about the Gateshead Garden Festival (and other posts) and Steve Ellwood and his excellent collection of images from the Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection. There are many other recent examples, from numerous other members too.

So, the Index will cease to be the “Complete Reference Encyclopaedia” that it has become over the last ten years, and that is (for me) hard to acknowledge.

It will still be (for many years in its current state) an excellent reference source, it will just no longer be a “complete” reference source.

Regards, and sorry,

Newcastle Historian

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
THE FORUM INDEX WILL NO LONGER BE UPDATED

30th April 2020.

It is with genuine sadness that I have to inform members that I will no longer be updating our “Index to Factual Posts” thread, here on the Newcastle Metro Area Forum.

Over the last ten years I have been able to provide tens of thousands of links to all the many genuine factual posts here on this forum, in the Index Thread. The Index is permanently “pinned” near the top of the forum. I have endeavoured to maintain the Index to a level of 100%, which has meant that if members and researchers have ever needed to find any information at all about the Newcastle area, then all they had to do was look it up in the alphabetical index and then follow the link.

Sadly, this level of “completeness” is no longer possible, as the new upgraded SSC site simply does not allow such large posts (like our ‘individual letter’ posts in the Index) to be added to, and there are numerous other limitations and problems with the new site (impinging on this function) that I won’t bore you with the details of. I have tried hard this last month to resolve them, without success.

So, it is impossible for me to continue with this.

In recent weeks alone there have been almost 100 excellent factual posts that I have not been able to link from the Index, such as Ken O’Heed’s amazing “fifteen historic posts” about the Gateshead Garden Festival (and other posts) and Steve Ellwood and his excellent collection of images from the Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection. There are many other recent examples, from numerous other members too.

So, the Index will cease to be the “Complete Reference Encyclopaedia” that it has become over the last ten years, and that is (for me) hard to acknowledge.

It will still be (for many years in its current state) an excellent reference source, it will just no longer be a “complete” reference source.

Regards, and sorry,

Newcastle Historian
That is so sad as it has been a brilliant resource over the years. Thanks for all of your hard work NH.

·
Registered
19,630 Posts
Input of text within future posts to enable easier electronic searching following end of "Index" system on this Newcastle Metro section of the Forum

At least you will have some more time to concentrate on other matters

However still going to in place for the 10 years up to April 2020 thanks to your hard work so will still be a useful tool for others searching for information

It is more important now to include information within text of posts about "name of project/scheme" etc to make electronic searching easier

Perhaps include a "Title line" (as above) on each post produced - noting that there is no longer a separate "title box" in the new system

KEN

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,085
Input of text within future posts to enable easier electronic searching following end of "Index" system on this Newcastle Metro section of the Forum

At least you will have some more time to concentrate on other matters

However still going to in place for the 10 years up to April 2020 thanks to your hard work so will still be a useful tool for others searching for information

It is more important now to include information within text of posts about "name of project/scheme" etc to make electronic searching easier

Perhaps include a "Title line" (as above) on each post produced - noting that there is no longer a separate "title box" in the new system

KEN
Thanks Ken, yes, this will save me a massive amount of time, but I am very disappointed by it, after 10 years of work.

The reason the Index was needed was because of the very inadequate 'electronic search system', which only works if the exact correct terms are used in a given post.

Your suggestion is an excellent one Ken, which I think should be adopted by anyone who posts important "factual" information and photos, that they HOPE will be always readily available for Members and Researchers to find in future years.

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,086
FOR INFORMATION AND ANY COMMENTS - THIS IS BEING DISCUSSED ON THE "COMMUNAL AREA ADMIN THREAD" BUT AS SO MANY OF OUR NORTH EAST ENGLAND FORUM MEMBERS ARE ACTUALLY NEWCASTLE METRO AREA FORUM MEMBERS, I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST HERE ALSO . . .

Hi All,

It is being discussed amongst SSC Management, about the 'possibility' of setting up a mirror image of the "North East England Forum" for North West England.

The North East England Forum has FIVE internal Sub-Forums for the major Cities (Newcastle, Hull, etc) with the 'communal area of single threads underneath the links to those City-led Sub-forums, where all of our Cumbria Threads are located.

I have regularly thought of setting up a "Cumbria Sub-Forum" on the North East England Forum, but haven't done so, as our Cumbria posters were very happy to keep on posting in the Communal Area.

So, in view of the current discussions about the potential creation of a North West England Forum, I have two questions for Cumbria members . . .

(1) Would you like a "Cumbria Sub-forum" here on the North East England Forum?

or

(2) Would you like to join a "North West England Forum" if one was created . . perhaps with (or without) a 'Cumbria Sub-forum' on THAT Forum?

(NB - the current discussions about a possible North West England Forum - which has been discussed many times within SSC - is just at a very early stage )

Thanks,
NH.

·
12,564 Posts
FWIW, my experience of 'sport' in Cumbria is that it is socially completely disconnected with this side of the Pennines. They look to Manchester and Liverpool, even if they are on the face of things further away.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The new search function on the forum is abysmal. Just did an advanced search to find the Strawberry Place / Home Group thread, limited results to this board and searched the terms "home group" (also tried thread titles only for this one) and "strawberry" (without the quotes) - no relevant results 😆

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,089
The new search function on the forum is abysmal. Just did an advanced search to find the Strawberry Place / Home Group thread, limited results to this board and searched the terms "home group" (also tried thread titles only for this one) and "strawberry" (without the quotes) - no relevant results 😆
Yes, even in the past the 'search function' has never been very good, hence the need for the INDEX.

I am so sorry that I can no longer update it, but it is still there and can still be used.

For example, you can find a LINK to each and every THREAD that we have, under "T" for 'Threads' in the Index.

·
12,564 Posts
I ve found the search sketchy too, though there seemed to be a change a while ago where [as I recall] a previous iteration of the search function disappeared. TBH I have tended to use the prosaic google skyscrapecity+newcastle+ and it usually does the trick.

2081 - 2091 of 2091 Posts