Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Incendia Astrum
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adriatic-Alps Corridor, Albania

The project has been on the table for a long time now and negotiations between local development organizations and the government are about to end. The project is intended to bring a solution to the north east isolation problem. This will be the 3d major investment in northern Albania since 1990 after the Kukes Airport and Durres-Morine HW.

The road will be 150km long with an average track speed of 80km/h.

Road trace:

Shëngjin Port - Vau Dejës - Koman - Tetaj - Dushaj - Tropojë (Qafë Morinë)

The road can be used all year long because of the low elevation ASL, which will prevent snow accumulation.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
nice. is this a modern european standard highway or what?

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
^^ Highway in the mountains???

·
Registrovani Clan
108 Posts
I don't see the justification in building an expensive paved highway in a region where not that many cars go through. Is this highway supposed to draw more people, like be part of a route from central Europe to Greece, or is it just for local people?

·
Pse Jo??
4,503 Posts
Mamino Zlato said:
I don't see the justification in building an expensive paved highway in a region where not that many cars go through. Is this highway supposed to draw more people, like be part of a route from central Europe to Greece, or is it just for local people?

You cant go wrong by developing the countries infrastructure. :)

·
Monkey business
3,539 Posts
Hmm.. with an average projected speed of 80 km/h, I can't really imagine what will this road be like. Prolly like one of those half-motorways just more curvier? As far as I know, a projected speed of 120 km/h is used when calculating curves for motorways in Slovenia, while 100 km/h is used on mountainous sections.

And I agree with the preceding comments partially. Good infrastructure will always attract investment, however spending astronomical amounts of money just to build big impressive highways that will be of no use is kinda stupid.

And just on the side, is the mountain range really called the Alps officially or is it just a colloquial name?

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
well do they plan on developing the port first?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I do not understand this highway, especially the way it is presented as if independent of all other road contrcutions. I think more sense it will make to have a system modern highways with Tirana as center, maybe a highway making a circle around Tirana for transitions. Then, having Tirana-Shkoder-Montengegro, Tirana-Kukes-Kosovo, Tirana-Durres, Tirana-Northern Macedonia (maybe not necessarily a highway considering Korridor 8), Tirana Elbasan (to connect with Korridor 8), Durres-Lushnje (connect with 8), Korridor 8 - Macedonia-Korce-Elbasan-Vlore, Korce-Kapshtice-Greece. Maybe a connection from Fier through Tepelene, Gjirokaster to Greece. Then roads like this on the alps can be regulated by for example connecting Tirane-Shkoder, through Bajram Curri to Tirane-Kukes, without it being actually a highway, just a modern road.

·
Incendia Astrum
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thebackdoorman said:
I do not understand this highway, especially the way it is presented as if independent of all other road contrcutions. I think more sense it will make to have a system modern highways with Tirana as center, maybe a highway making a circle around Tirana for transitions. Then, having Tirana-Shkoder-Montengegro, Tirana-Kukes-Kosovo, Tirana-Durres, Tirana-Northern Macedonia (maybe not necessarily a highway considering Korridor 8), Tirana Elbasan (to connect with Korridor 8), Durres-Lushnje (connect with 8), Korridor 8 - Macedonia-Korce-Elbasan-Vlore, Korce-Kapshtice-Greece. Maybe a connection from Fier through Tepelene, Gjirokaster to Greece. Then roads like this on the alps can be regulated by for example connecting Tirane-Shkoder, through Bajram Curri to Tirane-Kukes, without it being actually a highway, just a modern road.
In reply to this and to other posts:

This project is intended to bring the areas on north and north east Albania out of isolation. Projects like this are important for regional development in the area. This project is in fact connected to the national roads network. Part of this corridor goes through the Tirana-Shkoder national road (superstrada Tiranë-Shkodër); it also connected with the Durres-Kukes HW, thorugh which it is connected with the planed Via Arberi and so on.

This project is a very good one because that road can be used all year long and will perfectly address problems of alimentary supply to the region during winter. This road follows the Drin valley and Valbona valley, thus it will not have any tunnels.

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
All the confusions come becouse here every road is called highway.

So: This is NOT a highway!!! This is a country road with 1 lane in each direction.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
ye. thats why i asked before. it's just a road not a higway it seems.

·
veriori
2,136 Posts
Whatever you call it,i don't think it matters that much.What it matters is that it will fulfill peoples need and like IlliricumSacrum said it will bring the areas on north and north east Albania out of isolation.
Besides im truly fascinated by lot of Albanians who seem to underestimate the beauty of north and think that the only areas that deserve to be developed are the shores,high profile cityes and they'r surrounding areas!What about winter holidays? What is it that make's Zwitzerland such a underfull place?Does it have shores?certainly not!Im not trying to make comparation here but have you ever traveled along Drini's valley and Valbona's valley? Have you ever been to Theth?You can't just let the beauty of it die.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.