SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not everyones cup of tea, and i know theyre driven by corperate greed but i think projects like this help provide a bit of anticipation and excitement as you drive towards a big city. Interested in what other people think to this:

JCDecaux recently unveiled a brand new London advertising landmark, exclusively designed by award-winning architects Foster and Partners.

The M4 Tower, which is the first of its kind, is set to become a reference point for the city’s travellers and commuters. And in a first for outdoor advertising, the structure is almost entirely made from special glass housing LEDs.

80 James Thomas Engineering’s PixelBricks are meticulously positioned inside the tower creating stunning full spectrum colour washes for all to see. These compact high powered units are perfect for projects of this nature as they generate little heat, run silently and consume very little power – making them ideal for around the clock operation. The PixelBricks were supplied by Stage Electrics.

Lawrence Haines, Managing Director – large format, JCDecaux commented: "The PixelBrick fixtures satisfied the technical design brief and have brought the M4 Tower to life. Like the structure, its lighting is state-of-the-art and adds real impact ".

A unique feature of the Tower is its ability to transmit the light from the LEDs throughout the entire glass structure as a result of lines etched into each glass panel. Advanced computer technology also allows the structure to adopt any colour to meet the specific branding needs of clients, adding additional impact.

The Tower is the height of a seven-storey building, making it the tallest purpose-built advertising structure in the UK and an impressive addition to London’s skyline.

Located in a prime position on the M4, the gateway road from Heathrow to the centre of London, the giant 50m² backlit panels facing in both directions will deliver 1,630,000 consumers every week (source: DETR).

some others in london:

·
FuturePlanningConsultant
182 Posts
I like them. The entrance to London along the M4 is already interesting with new buildings either side of the road, the M4 Tower will further enhance this.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
whats wrong with a company sponsoring an illumanted piece of art or photography or what ever, i cant stand where we just get this onslaught of sublimable marketing everywhere, why cant we have proper public art

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
Like the towers in their own right, but when you go to the states whole streets end lit up..very confusing to find places and distracting driving...tail lights, brake lights and adverts merge into one.... so I guess not a fan...I would like no street lights though so probably not normal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts