SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 438 Posts

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
Here is an advert for that great shop from Grainger Street - Isaac Walton - as featured earlier this week on the 'Retail Memories' thread, here . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=63383303&postcount=4

The advert for Isaac Walton in this photo, is on the side of a good old Yellow Newcastle Trolley Bus, from the 1950s/early 1960s . . .

The spelling of the word "complete" as "COMPLEAT" on the bus comes from the old-time (18th Century?) enclopaedia on fishing "The Compleat Angler" by a one Isaak Walton (note original spelling of 'Isaak').

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yet another advert from 'Canny Newcastle: Some Scattered Threads of a Romantic Story Collected and Tied in a Bunch’

This seems be show a remarkably ‘enlightened’ attitude for the times, where the C.E.T.S (Church of England Temperance Society) is recognising the need to set things right with young offenders rather than concern themselves with how they got into trouble in the first place.
These were the days of the grinding poverty and disruption to family life caused by the depression and it’s easy to understand how children may have gone off the rails now and again?

I can recognise the Carr-Ellison local connection at the foot of the advert, but does anyone have any idea what the initials M.T.C.A stand for after Wm L Easton’s name?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
"Maybe they could reissue it with pictures of The Bugle pub and a smouldering Qu'ran"

Wilf, as long as I don't have to go and take the pictures. I have avoided the Bugle for the past 30 years and I don't really want to change that situation. To be honest I thought it had closed years ago.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Thanks, NH, for the pictures of the Empress. Somewhere in between those two dates I was a habitue of the place which at the time was nicknamed the "Draughtsmen's Arms" because it was the gathering place for contract engineers working in the area. The fact that it was also the watering hole of the bosses of two of the main engineering agencies in town might have something to with it. I think more job deals were struck there than in their offices themselves. They also did a mean curry and a delicious hot beef sandwich.

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Alderson & Brentnall Limited. Records for sale in 1971[/B]

Up at the 'top end' of Northumberland Street (the Haymarket end, near where Barclays Bank upstairs branch is) was a really great shop selling radios, hi-fi systems and musical instruments. This was, I remember, one of my father's favourite Newcastle shops. I inherited a few 1950s/1960s era items from him (such as an old wooden PYE 'Black Box', which we still proudly own) that he purchased at Alderson & Brentnall. The nearest 'type' of shop to it, that we have now, would be "Windows" in the Central Arcade.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

2 - T & G Allan Ltd.

This was a large stationers/bookshop, for many years, on Blackett Street, not far from Grey's Monument, roughly where Boots was for a while, in Monument Mall. It was a great shop, on three floors, where I used to spend a lot of time. It was very similar to a large 'John Menzies' or 'W H Smith', today. In fact, the premises were taken over in the late 1970s, when T & G Allan closed their Blackett Street shop to downsize their business, by John Menzies, before the entire building was knocked down and re-developed to become part of Monument Mall. IMG]

T&G Allan's in Blackett Street.

Taken over by John Menzies

All photos from P&T Image Archive, NCC.

GBDT

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
T&G Allan's in Blackett Street.

Taken over by John Menzies

All photos from P&T Image Archive, NCC.

GBDT

Excellent memories GBDT, thanks for that!

I see the 'John Menzies' shot is when they had first taken over and had just put a temporary sign over the T & G Allan one. Shortly after that they fully modernised the shop front at ground floor level, with (I seem to remember) some very modern and expensive looking signage.

Once again though, great to see these photos!

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
These are three "FULL PAGE" adverts from the Journal of Wednesday March 23rd 1988.

This is when that lovely building near the top of Grey Street (as featured strongly in the film "Payroll", some years earlier, you may recall) was modernised internally, to include the "ATRIUM" that we know today.

I remember going inside there, in March 1988, just to look at it! I just felt it was an impressive way to internally adapt an existing (already externally beautiful) Grey Street building.

Lloyds Bank subsequently merged with the TSB (Trustee Savings Bank) to become Lloyds TSB.

Happy to do enlargements of any specific part of the above 'full pages', if requested.

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
One of the very best collections (in one place) that I have, of old Newcastle Adverts, is in some late 1940s Theatre Programmes that I was given by my father.

Some of the best known and most famous traditional 'Newcastle' firms, businesses, and shops, tended to advertise in the Newcastle Theatre programmes, of those days.

The programmes themselves only consisted of a (slightly smaller than) 'A4 size' piece of thin white card, folded in half. Of course paper supplies in the late 1940s, just after the war (like most things) were still in very short supply, hence the 'simple white-card' programmes. Those programmes still contained some great stuff though, as far as we are concerned now, on this thread.

This Newcastle programme, is from the Theatre Royal, and was produced for the W/C 28th October 1946 production of 'Marriage A La Mode' . . .

Some really well known traditional 'Newcastle' adverts from times past!

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Anyone live in Brunton Park?

Found these old adverts from when the "1950s extension" (which is probably about 60% of the total area of the current Brunton Park) was built.

Brunton Park was originally just the 1930s houses area, nearest to the Great North Road.

These adverts are from 1956 - fancy a Brunton Park 3-bed-semi for £1,800?

John T Bell & Sons Ltd, was eventually (1980s?) re-named as "Bellway".

G

·
Wow some of these adverts are really amazing, thank you for sharing :)

Just wondering but does anyone happen to have any adverts from Pelaw (Gateshead) or from Shepherd's of Gateshead please?

21 - 40 of 438 Posts