SkyscraperCity banner

421 - 438 of 438 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
^^^^^^

I found another advertisement for Powell's Products from 1929 it is thought. This is from Gateshead Libraries but for some obscure reason it is not available online:

Powells Products ad 1929 by alfred stone, on Flickr

I found a bit more about the history of the company. Two brothers, Frederick Robert and William Powell from Shropshire moved to Gateshead and set up in business as sauce and pickle makers. Frederick is listed in the 1911 Census as a "sauce and pickle maker" and an "employer" living in 13 Kells Gardens Low Fell. I couldn't find any mention of their company until 1918 when they were trading as "City Sauce and Pickle Co. Park Lane Powell Brothers Proprietors". By 1925 they had become Powell's Products Ltd. but still trading at Park Lane. By 1929 they had established themselves at Kells Lane. When this picture of two of their wagons was taken in 1930 they had diversified into preserves and other products. Hence the local name of the establishment became the Jam Factory.:

Powells Products wagons by alfred stone, on Flickr

An interesting aside is that the property in Kells Lane had originally been a Dryplate Works owned by Mawson and Swan.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Coatsworth Road Gateshead 1969

A snapshot of the shops on Coatsworth Road, Gateshead from a special advertising feature the Evening Chronicle 29th. August 1969. Only two businesses are still trading under the same name. Stenhouse moved to Coatsworth Road somewhere between 1939 and 1944 and now occupy 211 to 215 Coatsworth Road. The Little Pet Store was taken over by George Bone and his wife about 1965 and is now run by George's grandson though George reckons he still pays the bils.

coatsworth ads 1969 by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Would you buy a used car from these people?

Digging through some old newspapers I discovered these ads from the Newcastle Evening Chronicle for 10th. March 1939. Some I had never heard of, one (Binns) I never knew sold cars and I have a tenuous connection with three of them. My father served his time as a motor mechanic with Buists but never finished his time as the war intervened. When I first met my wife to be (now ex) she worked for Adams Gibbons and it was a nice family firm. I am related to the Thirlwell family through marriage though I never knew Joe (J. W. Thirlwell) who had the Bigg Market Garage only Jack who ran a garage in Gateshead which now still survives as the family run Thirlwell Coaches at Swalwell:

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 10 Mar 1939 Smart by alfred stone, on Flickr

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 10 Mar 1939 Grimshaw by alfred stone, on Flickr

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 10 Mar 1939 Binns by alfred stone, on Flickr

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 10 Mar 1939 Adams Gibbons by alfred stone, on Flickr

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 10 Mar 1939 by alfred stone, on Flickr

imageedit_12_8148433268 by alfred stone, on Flickr

imageedit_9_7876751035 by alfred stone, on Flickr

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 10 Mar 1939 Thirlwell by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Chronicle advertising feature on the opening of the Club A'Gogo

This is from the Chronicle 4th. July 1962. The full page is too small to be legible but I have blown up the ads for the relevant local companies:

Agogo full page by alfred stone, on Flickr

Agogo opening (1) by alfred stone, on Flickr

Agogo opening (2) by alfred stone, on Flickr

Agogo opening (3) by alfred stone, on Flickr

Agogo opening (4) by alfred stone, on Flickr

Agogo opening (5) by alfred stone, on Flickr

Agogo opening (6) by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Adverts from Williams's Commercial Directory of Newcastle-upon-Tyne 1844

I was browsing through this old directory today in Gateshead Central Library and I thought I would share these:

DSCF5983 Williams's Commercial Directory 1844 by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF5985 Williams's Commercial Directory 1844 by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF5987 Williams's Commercial Directory 1844 by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF5989 Williams's Commercial Directory 1844 by alfred stone, on Flickr

I found this one especially ineresting because of the mention of the private entrance from Dog Leap Stairs. Brian Bennison in Heady Days has the pub in St. Nicholas Churchyard:

DSCF5986 Williams's Commercial Directory 1844 by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Jackie Milburn Sports Shoes

Interesting advert for Jackie Milburn's Own Design Sports Shoe. Anyone lucky enough to have owned a pair?

View attachment 39666
I love the mention of Crook's shoe shop which I remember from my childhood days. It was in the arches below Gateshead East Railway Station. The official address was Wellington Street but "High Level End" was probably more indicative to most people.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,437 Posts
I love the mention of Crook's shoe shop which I remember from my childhood days. It was in the arches below Gateshead East Railway Station. The official address was Wellington Street but "High Level End" was probably more indicative to most people.
And of course not a lot of folk around these days who remember Murton House on the corner of Grainger St and Bigg Market :)

·
13,580 Posts
I agree. At the time the Chronic would perhaps have had more localised editions - first in Heaton/Byker, first coin operated?

According to wikipedia [so almost certainly wrong]:

The first UK launderette (alternative spelling: "laundrette") was opened on 9 May 1949 in Queensway (London). UK launderettes are mainly fully automated and coin-operated, and are either manned or unmanned. Some may be manned during fewer hours than the operating time each week.[citation needed] They are generally found only in urban and suburban areas, and have been common features of urban life since the 1960s. In the last two decades there has been a decline in the number of launderettes, to approximately 3000 nationally.
Initially I was thinking that there are very few of these left [one in Bensham]. But then remembered that Morrisons @ Cowgate has one and even found this:

Revolution Self Service Launderette - motorway services

Perhaps with people livining in smaller houses, city centre apartments and so on there is still a market after all.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Initially I was thinking that there are very few of these left [one in Bensham].
Acrually three launderettes are still operating in Bensham, Coatsworth Road, Whitehall Road and Bensham Road. I suspect that much of their trade depends on Jewish students.

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
We take our big heavy winter duvet (too big for our washing machine) to the Launderette once a year. The only one anywhere in Newcastle that we can find is on Heaton Road, so there aren't many around these days.

So, there is one at Cowgate Morrisons. Is it like a 'franchise' type place inside the store, or is it next to it?

·
Phil100
308 Posts
We take our big heavy winter duvet (too big for our washing machine) to the Launderette once a year. The only one anywhere in Newcastle that we can find is on Heaton Road, so there aren't many around these days.

So, there is one at Cowgate Morrisons. Is it like a 'franchise' type place inside the store, or is it next to it?
We have had a duvet cleaned by dry cleaners on Cedar Road, Fenham.

·
13,580 Posts

It s a bit like the petrol station one - massive washing machines but outside of the store, by the cashpoints

421 - 438 of 438 Posts