SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 438 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This is an extract from a large newspaper advert from 1957, for Newcastle Brown Ale.

One of the important parts of the advert is to highlight a "guarantee" that they (sadly) certainly cannot give today . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
This advert from May 1985 reminds me of all the controversy that there was, at the time, over S&Ns takeover of the 'Matthew Brown Brewery' . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Grainger Market Stalls - Adverts from 1985.
Memories of the Grainger Market, as it was 25 years ago . . .

More "Grainger Market Stalls" ADVERTS, in the next post . . .

·
Registered
49 Posts
NH, I wonder if you might have any adverts for a J Kennedy Fried Fish dealer in Walker 1901 to 1905 and Fishmonger Elswick Rd 1905? He was my great grandfather and my mother says she saw adverts in Wards trade directories years ago.
Also anything for my Great Great Grandfather's shop, E Coffey, Grocer/General Dealer 87 and 89 High Buckingham St (knocked down for the building of the Brewery in the 30s) from about 1865 to 1898?

I plan on a trawl through the trade directories at the library in the new year, but thought I'd ask you just in case as you seem to be some sort of magician:)

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
NH, I wonder if you might have any adverts for a J Kennedy Fried Fish dealer in Walker 1901 to 1905 and Fishmonger Elswick Rd 1905? He was my great grandfather and my mother says she saw adverts in Wards trade directories years ago.

Also anything for my Great Great Grandfather's shop, E Coffey, Grocer/General Dealer 87 and 89 High Buckingham St (knocked down for the building of the Brewery in the 30s) from about 1865 to 1898?

I plan on a trawl through the trade directories at the library in the new year, but thought I'd ask you just in case as you seem to be some sort of magician:)

:hahano: Magic I'm not, thanks tho!!

The City Library has more trade directories than me (!) so that is a good idea, they are your best bet!

I'll see what I can find, but I'm not optimistic . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Adverts from bygone travel era up for sale
by Tom Keighley, Evening Chronicle, January 17th 2011

It was a time when travelling by train to Tyneside was an adventure. These posters were used to entice folk to the region on holiday, and now they are up for grabs in an auction.

The sale features a collection of Bloomsbury advertising posters from the 1930s to the 1960s.

They are the work of renowned artist Frank Mason.

Mason was born in Seaton Carew, Hartlepool in 1875. He became an artist after a spell as a marine engineer using commissions for commercial work to support himself as he became established.

Richard Barclay, of Bloomsbury Auctions, described Mason’s work as “highly sought-after” and expects that his notoriety will generate wide-ranging interest from collectors of his works.

Of the 119 lots in the sale, a handful were created for the London North East Railway, just after the nationalisation of the railways in 1949. They serve the unusual purpose of advertising the North East as both a holiday destination and as a centre for heavy industry, two completely different purposes beautifully portrayed by Mason’s brush strokes.

The advertisement posters have been collected from a number of sources, with some of the European ones estimated to fetch up to £7,000.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...era-up-for-sale-72703-28000445/#ixzz1BJZ4t9FE

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
From 1967/1968 . . .

I remember my Dad always had his account with "Martins Bank" . . .

These adverts are all from this publication . .

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Davy Roll

Aa article about 'The Davy Roll Company" in tonights Chronicle gives a wrong impression when it says, "The successful steel rolling company has occupied the same site near the Gateshead Highway since 1840". In fact Davy Roll only came into existence in 1969. The Close Works as the factory is called was occupied by Armstrong Whitworth until it was taken over by Davy in 1968. My uncle was the General Manager there at the time and my father worked on the shop floor. As a lad I was told that you were unlikely to get a job at the Close Works unless you were a Roman Catholic which, of course, would be illegal now.

This ad from 1953 confirms that it was Armstrong Whitworth:

sky0012-1(1) by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I was looking through this booklet the other day:

sky00001 by alfred stone, on Flickr

and realised that it had a series of advertisements submitted by Gateshead firms so I have reproduced them here. I also noticed that only one of the companies is still trading under its original name and on its original site, that is Clarke Chapman.

sky0001 by alfred stone, on Flickr

sky0002 by alfred stone, on Flickr

sky0004 by alfred stone, on Flickr

sky0007 by alfred stone, on Flickr

sky0010 by alfred stone, on Flickr

sky0011 by alfred stone, on Flickr

sky0012 by alfred stone, on Flickr

sky0013 by alfred stone, on Flickr

sky0014 by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
^^

Excellent set of Old Gateshead adverts Alf, very nostalgic.

I have split the one long post (20 attachments) into two, as it seemed to be having difficulty opening up!

·
Super Moderator
22,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Traders have always attempted to advertise their wares, but the methods have changed over the past century or more, partly as a result of the development of new means of communication, such as popular newspapers, television and radio.

The 'handbill' printed for Thomas Lowis (see below) is written in impeccable English and in a rather obsequious style, which is quite different from the somewhat flashy language used in commercials today.

Small illustrations, usually drawings, were very often incorporated into advertisements in trade directories, in the early part of the 19th Century. The examples below, are taken from the Newcastle & Gateshead Directory of 1824 . . .

41 - 60 of 438 Posts