SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 438 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
It is quite interesting that in this 1979 advertisement, the high profile building company Leslie & Company Ltd have specifically chosen photographs of the new ELDON SQUARE, PEARL ASSURANCE HOUSE, and the ALL SAINTS OFFICE COMPLEX to highlight their recent work.

I am not certain that these buildings would be considered very good 'selling points' today!

Tastes and fashions do change over time . . .

Personally, I have never minded the new 'Pearl Assurance House' at all, in the way that I know some people do.

Though I have to say that I preferred its predecessor (on the same site) greatly.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Well, they paid their rates (probably)

We should see more use of the arms. Even the council dropped them for that awful spiky castley logo thing. And Newcastle United should resume their use: (a) a shield or badge of black and white vertical stripes on a shirt of black and white vertical stripes looks, well, underwhelming; and (b) if my understanding is correct, they dropped the arms during a hissy row with the council about something or other and should get over themselves. After all, it's the arms of the City, not the council. (I don't know if that's strictly correct, but it ought to be)

·
Part Time Contributor
43,439 Posts
I can well remember going into the North of England School Furnishing for stationary items in Grainger Street - was a bit like going to Isaac Waltons for your school uniform, you went to the School Furnishing for your pens and paper.

·
Super Moderator
22,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
I can well remember going into the North of England School Furnishing for stationary items in Grainger Street - was a bit like going to Isaac Waltons for your school uniform, you went to the School Furnishing for your pens and paper.

Yes, the 'North of England School Furnishing' . . .

who later modernised themselves, to become the "North of England Book and Stationery Co Ltd". I used to spend a lot of quality time in that shop!

We discussed it a while back on the Retail Memories thread . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=63412291&postcount=6
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=63419015&postcount=7

HERE is an advert for the modernised (under the new name) shop . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=63534461&postcount=12

·
Part Time Contributor
43,439 Posts
Thought folk might be interested to see what entertainment was available in Whitley Bay during 1929.

The New Coliseum opened in 1910 as a theatre but was converted into a cinema in 1919 with much remodeling bot internally and externally taking place. The ABC Company introduced the talking movie to the cinema in 1929.The last film was screened on the 1st May 1971 and the New Coliseum was converted into a bingo hall. The building was demolished in September 2006 leaving only the frontage.

·
Super Moderator
22,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
^^ Have always enjoyed 'old Fenwicks' adverts.

Here are a few more, which (coincidentally) also includes a scan of the tea rooms advert . . .

The 'evolving' Fenwick LOGO, from the original signature of Mr J J Fenwick (1846-1905) . .

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I love the idea that if you want a ticket, you've got to root the agent out of the pub!

·
Super Moderator
22,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
"Adverts on Buildings" and/or "Buildings as Adverts" . . .

I have been meaning to show some of these for a while, and the last three posts on this thread of exactly this kind of advertising, has prompted me to do it now.

In the old days it seemed to be almost common for buildings to be almost covered in adverts, at times.

Here are a few examples of this from times past . . .

Perhaps the most famous example. This is John Dobson's birthplace on New Bridge Street, which was to become 'The Oxford Galleries', 'Tiffany's', 'Ikon', 'Liquid' etc, etc . .

Grainger Street . .

Pink Lane 1958 . .

Somewhere in the West End, 1900 . .

Seventh Avenue, Heaton . .

Union Street, Shieldfield, 1958 . .

61 - 80 of 438 Posts