SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 429 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Northern Counties lce Making & Cold Stores Co. Limited.

Northern Counties lce Making & Cold Stores Co. Limited. advert dating from 1925.

The building was located immediately to the east of the Co-operative Wholesale Society warehouse (now Malmaison Hotel).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Perhaps this was the firm that was responsible for many of the bill posters that we have seen in this thread?
I'm very sure it's! My uncle has been doing some research into our family's ancestry and Thomas Bartlett was a son from my great great great (don't know how many "great"s exactly) grandfather's 1st marriage. He was indeed one of the most prolific bill posters in Newcastle, and a great many old pictures of Newcastle show his work. Specific examples I have been told of include one of Vose's shop (Vose also has indirect connections with my ancestry, but I can't remember the details) and the building attached to the Oxford Galleries (I think I've got that right).

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
I'm very sure it's! My uncle has been doing some research into our family's ancestry and Thomas Bartlett was a son from my great great great (don't know how many "great"s exactly) grandfather's 1st marriage. He was indeed one of the most prolific bill posters in Newcastle, and a great many old pictures of Newcastle show his work. Specific examples I have been told of include one of Vose's shop (Vose also has indirect connections with my ancestry, but I can't remember the details) and the building attached to the Oxford Galleries (I think I've got that right).
The advertising hoardings next to what was The Oxford Galleries actually hid the Newcastle home of Architect John Dobson. He died on 8 January 1865, aged 77, at his home in 15 New Bridge Street.

From the City Libraries Archive Collection @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4082056489/sizes/o/in/photostream/

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,236 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #113

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Thanks, Delicolor, for those ads from the Theatre Royal programme of 1910 this one in particular caught my eye:

Sam Wilkes by alfred stone, on Flickr

We have discussed George Wilkes' shops before and I was fascinated to see that Sam Wilkes occupied the same Gateshead High Street site in 1910. It seems fair to assume that it was a family business handed down but I have never heard mention of Sam Wilkes before this. Recently I have been looking at the history of the Jewish settlement in Gateshead and discovered this:

A Jewish businessman called Solomon Wilkes then set up a small furniture factory in Gateshead in 1875

I would love to be able to tie all three together.

·
13,008 Posts
s. Recently I have been looking at the history of the Jewish settlement in Gateshead
Mr 'x' times great grandfather was Trytle Joel who founded the first synagogue in Newcastle [Thornton Street]. My reading is that in part the community in Gateshead flourished because the Newcastle community wasn't sufficiently 'orthodox'. I suspect you may have more on this than I do.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yes, Newcastlepubs, the official version of the Gateshead settlement goes something like this:

the Gateshead settlement had been founded in 1881 by shopkeeper Zechariah Bernstone who ‘walked across the Redheugh bridge from Newcastle to Gateshead’ looking for a remote site to found a new orthodox Jewish community, due to his disappointment with what he considered to be the unacceptably low standards of Judaism he found in the bigger city.

But there are records of Jews settling individually in Gateshead at least 10 years before this including my Mr. Wilkes. It is still a thriving community and they have just done a land swap with Gateshead Council which will allow an extension to the synagogue for the first time since it was built.

·
13,008 Posts
Yes, Newcastlepubs, the official version of the Gateshead settlement goes something like this:

the Gateshead settlement had been founded in 1881 by shopkeeper Zechariah Bernstone who ‘walked across the Redheugh bridge from Newcastle to Gateshead’ looking for a remote site to found a new orthodox Jewish community, due to his disappointment with what he considered to be the unacceptably low standards of Judaism he found in the bigger city.

But there are records of Jews settling individually in Gateshead at least 10 years before this including my Mr. Wilkes. It is still a thriving community and they have just done a land swap with Gateshead Council which will allow an extension to the synagogue for the first time since it was built.
I ve a a pic of the Thornton Str synagogue [albeit after it was a synagogue]

but I ve been trying to get hold of a pic of the inscribed stone [you can see it just at the top of the building] which I ve been told was shipped to Hazelrigg Cemetery after it was demolished. Don't suppose you have seen one ?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The Theatre Royal programme of 1910 has an advert for "Bernstone" the jewelers I wonder if this is the same dude and did it evolve in to the big national chain of shops.

·
Super Moderator
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
The Theatre Royal programme of 1910 has an advert for "Bernstone" the jewelers I wonder if this is the same dude and did it evolve in to the big national chain of shops.

I only remember the one 'Bernstones', but there may have been others.

There will probably be better/clearer photos, but (after a quick search) I found this one.

Bernstones can be seen just to the right of the Northern Goldsmiths, on the South side of Blackett Street, on the stretch between Greys Monument and Pilgrim Street when that stretch was "all jewellers", and was consequently known as the Bond Street of the North.

Other streets, I know, have also had this same nickname given to them in the past!

I am not aware whether the Bernstones shop was founded by members of the same family as (the mentioned) Zechariah Bernstone, though!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
It wasn't Zecharia, himself as the Chronicle a few years ago noted:

"Bernstone had arrived in Newcastle in the late 1870s from Lithuania. On his arrival, he set about making a living as a glazier and picture framer. He was also a part-time pedlar trading in gas mantles."

In 1894 his business was situated in Redheugh Bridge Road, Gateshead though now run by his son Zelig. His co-partner in establishing the Jewish settlement, Eliezer Adler, was, however, trading just around the corner as a watchmaker and jeweller. Once established in Gateshead Bernstone brought his family across and invited like-minded friends and relatives to join him so perhaps one of those relatives was a jeweller.

101 - 120 of 429 Posts