Skyscraper City Forum banner

Of the 3 Irish Airlines you may have flown with, which is your preference?

• Aer Lingus

Votes: 71 73.2%
  • Ryanair

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Aer Arann

Votes: 4 4.1%
1 - 20 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Michael O'Leary once said the chairman of Aer Arann should "return to where he came from" - i.e the West of Ireland - which is ironic considering MOL lives in Mullingar - a town in the middle of Ireland which is not exactly the center of civilisation. And so you enter the murky world of the 3 main Irish airlines.

Ryanair apologise for long delays at airports

www.irishtimes.com

PASSENGERS TRAVELLING with Ryanair faced long delays at Dublin and London Stansted airports on Saturday due to lengthy queues at the airline’s check-in desks.
Ryanair apologised yesterday for delays that disrupted the travel plans of hundreds of passengers departing from Stansted. It blamed the problems on staff shortages at its ground handling contractor, Swissport, which meant “an inadequate number of bag drop desks were operating”.
Officials at the airport said that only 11 Ryanair check-in desks were open on Saturday, one of the busiest departure dates of the year.
A spokesman added: “Last weekend they had more than double the number of desks open. I have no idea why they chose to open 11 yesterday.”
Separately, Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) said it had to allocate extra space to the airline’s passengers on Saturday afternoon because of 40-minute queues at its check-in desks. The airline opened additional desks to ease the pressure.
“We witnessed very lengthy queues around the Ryanair check-in areas on Saturday afternoon,” a DAA spokeswoman said last night. “Clearly there was an issue. We’d never seen anything like it before. ”
In a statement posted on its website, Ryanair apologised to passengers who missed flights or had their flights delayed at Stansted airport. It stated: “Ryanair operates an on-line check in service for all its passengers. No passengers are required to queue to check in at the airport. Only passengers with checked-in baggage are required to use the bag drop facility.
“[On Saturday] due to staff shortages at our ground handling partner, Swissport, an inadequate number of bag drop desks were operating at Stansted. Ryanair assures its passengers that it is working with Swissport to ensure this situation does not recur.”
A Ryanair spokesman could not be contacted last night.

Ryanair defends visa check for non-EU citizens
1 August 2009
Irish Times

RYANAIR HAS defended a rule requiring passengers from outside the EU to have their visas checked by the airline before proceeding to their flights.

The Irish Timesis aware of a number of passengers who have missed their flights because they failed to have their boarding cards stamped as required by the rule, which is applied by no other airline.

The airline says all non-EU and non-EEA passengers travelling on its flights must have their online boarding passes checked and stamped at the Ryanair “document/visa check desk” before going through security. It says this is necessary “to ensure compliance with immigration authorities”.

A Ryanair spokesman said it had introduced the rule early this summer to allow non-EU and -EEA passengers to use web check-in. Previously, the airline did not allow non-EU and -EEA passengers to check in online; instead, it offered a refund of the extra cost of checking in at the airport.

Aer Lingus says it does not have such a requirement. “For those passengers who check in online, passports are checked either at the bag-tag desk or bag-drop machine or at the boarding gate,” a spokeswoman said.

The Ryanair spokesman said: “Other airlines don’t offer passengers the convenience of 100 per cent web check-in, so they don’t need to do this yet. They check visas at their long-queue check-in desks, which Ryanair passengers now avoid.”

The Garda Press Office, speaking for the Garda National Bureau of Immigration, said all passengers were required to have valid travel documents and carriers could be fined for allowing passengers to travel with defective documentation.

However, a spokesman said no new rule had been introduced for EU or EEA citizens.
Aer Lingus reaches deal to defer new Airbus aircraft

AER LINGUS confirmed yesterday that it has reached agreement with Airbus to defer the delivery of new aircraft for its long-haul fleet.

The move was flagged by the airline some time ago as one of a number of possible cost-saving measures it was likely to introduce to counteract a decline in average fares and revenues.

Colm Barrington, Aer Lingus chairman, is reported to have told the airline’s pilots that it needs to achieve cost savings of €130 million to have a viable future.

Under the terms of the agreement with Airbus, Aer Lingus will take delivery of one new A330-300 aircraft in April 2010 as planned. However, it has deferred delivery of three A330s and two A350 planes until between 2013 and 2015.

Aer Lingus has also terminated lease agreements for two A330 aircraft up to 18 months ahead of schedule. It has already returned two leased aircraft in 2009 ahead of schedule.

Aer Lingus said the deal with Airbus had been reached at “no additional cost” to the airline.

The airline said the move would reduce its planned capital expenditure for the next three years and boost its net cash position “during the current challenging trading environment”.

This deal with Airbus means Aer Lingus will operate eight long-haul aircraft in 2010.

Seven of them will operate on routes from Ireland to the United States, with the other earmarked for a joint venture with United Airlines for a service between Washington DC and Madrid.

The announcement was welcomed by analysts.

“It gives them some breathing space and helps them reshape their fleet from 2010,” Bloxham aviation analyst Joe Gill told The Irish Times.

“But it doesn’t get around their trading difficulties or the challenges of a big restructuring.”

Mr Gill estimates that Aer Lingus’s capital spending will reduce from about €160 million in the current year to below €100 million in 2010 as a result of this deal.

Davy analyst Stephen Furlong estimated that Aer Lingus’s net cash balances would improve from about €124 million to about €240 million as a result of the deal with Airbus.

“While trading is obviously very difficult we would view the long-haul fleet deferral announcement as a very positive development,” Mr Furlong said in a note to clients yesterday.

Aer Lingus’s shares closed up 1 per cent in Dublin yesterday at 47 cent.

www.irishtimes.com

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Of those three, I've only ever flown Aer Lingus, who I thought were a great airline - especially on transatlantic routes.

I've only heard good things about Aer Arann, who seem like a nice small airline.

Ryanair, well... what can you say? :nuts:

This will have a huge beneficial impact in the coming years, especially when it comes into effect in Dublin next year:

First 'pre-clearance' flight leaves Shannon
Wednesday, 5 August 2009 15:27

The first pre-clearance US bound flight left Shannon Airport this morning which enables passengers to go through both US Immigration and Customs inspections before departing Ireland.

The agreement was announced by the US and Irish Governments last November and sees Shannon become the first European airport with pre-clearance for the US.

The move is seen as granting unique status to Shannon, opening a range of potential opportunities for services and setting it up as an international aviation gateway between Europe and the US.

Speaking last November, Shannon Airport Director Martin Moroney said that having pre-clearance at Shannon will also 'reduce processing costs and connection times for airlines, again enhancing the airport's attractiveness to carriers'.

Limerick and Mid-West TD Niall Collins today said: 'This is the first step in a boom for Shannon Airport as passengers throughout Europe realise the benefits of clearing customs before travelling to the US.'

Mayor of Clare Tony Mulcahy described the opening of full custom and border protection services at Shannon as a 'landmark development for the County Clare hub and the Mid West Region'.

He said that the delivery of the new facilities 'underlined the resilience of the Mid West Region and the argument for a fully independent Shannon Airport Authority.'

Story from RTÉ News:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0805/shannon.html

·
22,432 Posts
I've only ever used Aer Lingus, Ryanair is a vile third world piece of shit.

Also rather good news to hear Aer Lingus has been given a revenue boost. The Northern Ireland Civil Service will only be permitted to fly Aer Lingus between Belfast and London. Contract is for two years worth about £500,000 a year to Aer Lingus :)

·
Registered
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that is Michael O'Leary's target market to be honest. He can only dream of being offered a contract like that. If you were running an international business would you stick your executives on Ryanair planes?:eek:hno: But it is a positive move and can only help the status of the airline and the hub in Belfast.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
No matter what your personal opinion on Ryanair is, the fact is they are being thousands of European tourists into Dublin everyday, Germans, Italians, French, Spanish etc and this can only be welcomed.

Obviously FR wouldn’t be executive’s first choice but in the current economic climate people are trading down to the lowest price which is why the Queen of Spain, Tony Blair and a number of other politicians and celebrities who have recently flown Ryanair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Ryanair is a vile third world piece of shit."
belfastuniguy , Ryanair must be doing something right they are Europes largest airline . Yeah its budget and basic but you get what you pay for . And as for being third world , have you ever actually been on a third world airline ? Your comment is overly harsh , bordering on ridiculous.

·
22,432 Posts
belfastuniguy , Ryanair must be doing something right they are Europes largest airline . Yeah its budget and basic but you get what you pay for . And as for being third world , have you ever actually been on a third world airline ? Your comment is overly harsh , bordering on ridiculous.

Of course they have done something right. I never stated they hadn't.

I however enjoy a better standard of air travel. It annoys me having to use Easyjet as it is and use Aer Lingus whenever possible. I'm not exactly a fan of flying coach, I can tolerate it when flying within Europe as it's a short flight.

Indeed I have actually. Were had to use a couple for transfers on several occasions when the chartered airplane wasn't available. So yeah....I do know what I'm talking about. As I've stated on several occasions, never good to assume anything when you are not in possession of all the facts.

·
Registered
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the unlikely event Ryanair ever get to buy Aer Lingus they will defacto be operating long haul routes - an unpleasant prospect. It would not be so bad if I thought they would operate the standard long haul model. But they would'nt - they would strip it down to the very bare minimum.

·
22,432 Posts
In the unlikely event Ryanair ever get to buy Aer Lingus they will defacto be operating long haul routes - an unpleasant prospect. It would not be so bad if I thought they would operate the standard long haul model. But they would'nt - they would strip it down to the very bare minimum.

Doubtful....Irish govt. will prob have something to say on that matter.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Haha, third world, that's an insult to the people that work for them, majority Irish and British!

In Ryanair’s 23 year history they’ve not had 1 single incident involving major injury or death to a passenger or crew making it one of Europes/Worlds safest airlines. To put that into perspective Ryanair has a fleet of 183 aircraft operating 1200 flights a day and 60 millions passengers a year. That is an excellent record.

It’s also one of Europe’s most efficient airlines operating the youngest fleet of aircraft with the highest load factors and a better punctuality record than the likes of BA, Easjet, Aer Lingus. Not only that Ryanair pilots are the highest paid short-haul pilots in Europe.

·
Registered
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Haha, third world, that's an insult to the people that work for them, majority Irish and British!

In Ryanair’s 23 year history they’ve not had 1 single incident involving major injury or death to a passenger or crew making it one of Europes/Worlds safest airlines.
Aer Lingus' record is immaculate though and it's been around far longer. That is one thing you could say for the Irish aviation industry. The safety record is the best.

Im sceptical about the puncuality thing with Ryanair...they are well able to manipulate facts like that themselves and preach them to the outside world. But overall, yeah, Ryanair's puncuality would be among the best if not the best.

Things are looking brighter for Belfastuniguy:)

Aer Lingus to announce extra slot to Heathrow

Belfast Telegraph

Aer Lingus is to increase the frequency of its Belfast to Heathrow route to four flights a day.

The new slot will be addition to its existing three flights which depart Belfast International Airport at 7.40am, 12.50pm and 5.25pm.

Aer Lingus, which launched the Belfast to Heathrow route in January 2008, is expected to announce details of the new service later this month.

Enda Corneille, Aer Lingus corporate affairs director, said: “We will be finalising the details within the next week.”

It comes after it emerged that Aer Lingus has secured the two-year £1m government contract for flying civil servants and other government employees between Belfast and Heathrow.

Mr Corneille said: “After nearly two years here, we are becoming part of the establishment. To get a large chunk of civil service business, the biggest air contract in Northern Ireland, is very important.”

Aer Lingus, which employs 100 people in Northern Ireland, is also planning to increase the frequency of other routes including Malaga in Spain and Faro in Portugal. It will also extend its Canary Islands (Tenerife and Lanzarote) service to all-year round.

“We are increasing our frequency to Malaga from six to seven flights a week and Faro from five to seven,” said Mr Corneille.

The carrier is expected to announce significant losses later this month as well as redundancies and is not planning to launch any new routes out of Belfast or add to its current three aircraft in the short term.

“What we are probably going to do is focus on what works for us this year, it’s really about deriving value out of our current network,” stated Mr Corneille.

When Aer Lingus’ new chief executive Christoph Mueller takes over on September 1, the airline will unveil a major cost reduction plan.

“Profitability is the issue. There is a need for cost-cutting. A lot of work needs to be done on staff costs, non staff costs and revenue development,” added Mr Corneille.

Mike Irvine, head of Davy Northern Ireland, said: “Aer Lingus is currently transitioning from a long-haul growth strategy to an approach placing greater emphasis on leveraging their European short-haul network and rationalising of the existing cost base.

“This fact is well flagged and further highlighted in the appointment of a new CEO, Christoph Mueller from TUI Travel who comes with strong experience in restructuring/M&A.

“The key focus for the new CEO will be cost/route restructuring and a capital expenditure review to elevate the cash burn in the business.”

Commenting on the cost saving plan which analysts predict will save more than £300m over the next three years, Mr Corneille said: “It will have very little implications for Northern Ireland.”
It will be interesting to see how the new CEO goes about running the airline.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts

·
ireland
333 Posts

I fly ryanair because its the cheapest.Never had any problems bar one
delay where we had to change plane.No major diffence between airlines
anyhow...just pack the people in and fly them away.theres not alot to do on a plane except get a few zzzzzz's.Its waitng in airports that really sucks..

·
Registered
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Aer Lingus passenger numbers up but load factor down slightly.

Aer Lingus July Passenger number rise 8.2% --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DUBLIN, (Reuters) - Irish airline Aer Lingus (AERL.I) carried 1.12 million passengers in July, 8.2 percent more than a year earlier, it said on Monday.

Load factor, a measure of how full its planes are, fell to 82.3 percentage points from 83.3 in the same month a year earlier, the airline said

Ryanair to cut Manchester service

Monday, 17 August 2009 15:53

Ryanair is to close or switch nine of its 10 routes from Manchester airport in the UK from October, including a service from Manchester to Shannon.

The airline said the change is due to Manchester airport's refusal to lower its charges.

The services will be transferred to lower cost airports in East Midlands, Leeds Bradford and Liverpool.

AdvertisementThe Manchester routes to and from Barcelona (Girona), Bremen, Brussels (Charleroi), Cagliari, Dusseldorf (Weeze), Frankfurt (Hahn), Marseille, Milan (Bergamo) and Shannon will cease from 1 October.

The airline said the move will see Manchester airport losing 44 weekly flights and up to 600 local jobs.

RTE

·
Registered
975 Posts
Aer Lingus are great on transatlantic flights. Have flown with Delta and Continental before, but went to Cali and NY with Aer Lingus this summer and they were far superior.

On European routes Ryanair does the job. The whole sitting thing is my only big gripe with Ryanair! However, I would choose Aer Lingus over them if my budget was limitless!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Inevitable really....

Ryanair says will ultimately buy Aer Lingus-paper

DUBLIN, Sept 6 (Reuters) - Ryanair (RYA.I) will ultimately succeed in buying Irish rival Aer Lingus (AERL.I), airline Chief Executive Michael O'Leary told the Sunday Independent newspaper. Ryanair, Europe's biggest low-cost airline, has seen two of its bids for Aer Lingus fail since 2006, due to opposition from Aer Lingus' management and competition concerns voiced by the Irish government and the European Union.

However, Aer Lingus last month appeared to tone down its outright opposition to the alliance after announcing record operating losses and a rate of cash burn which it said was unsustainable.

"Ultimately, we will be allowed to buy Aer Lingus," said O'Leary, whose airline is the biggest shareholder in the former state carrier at more than 29 percent, surpassing the government's 25 percent stake.

"In another 18 months and with more redundancies, they'll have burned their way through the last of the cash they have and will need to be rescued," O'Leary said.

Aer Lingus Chief Financial Officer Sean Coyle said last month he did not know if Aer Lingus would resist another approach from Ryanair, though Chairman Colm Barrington maintained it would be difficult to cooperate with O'Leary. (Reporting by Andras Gergely; editing by Karen Foster

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSL640247820090906

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good thread! I have only ever flown with Aer Lingus out of those three. I will flying with Ryanair on Thursday morning to Leeds so I will be able to vote after that.

I rate Aer Lingus very highly very comfortable flights and I have been in some rough ones eg. Futura Airlines

1 - 20 of 328 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.