Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some aerial photos of London from 1983 which I hope you'll enjoy, showing the early 1980s City cluster, and some shots of Docklands before the start of the regeneration.

For some of these I've included Google Earth photos of the present, but as this is 2-D it's not always such a great comparison.

City of London:

Close-up of the cluster - Lloyds building under construction:

Bishopsgate - site of future Heron and others:

Broad Street station before its closure, now site of the Broadgate complex:

Current view from Google Earth:

Eastern side of the City:

Tooley Street to HMS Belfast, including Hay's Dock:

Current view including More London, City Hall and Hay's Dock's transformation into Hay's Galleria:

Wapping and St Katherine Docks:

Wapping again, with the London Docks filled in awaiting development:

The development came, current view:

Rotherhithe, surrounded by docks and industrial land similarly cleared:

Same view today with Jubilee line station on the right:

Surrey Docks:

Same view today, Stave Hill with its views of CW and City clearly visible:

Isle of Dogs from the SE:

And today:

Eastern end of Canary Wharf incl Wood Wharf site:

Blackwall:

Today with Ontario Tower, New Providence Wharf:

Canary Wharf from the SW:

Millwall, now the Millennium Quarter:

Greenwich Peninsula:

And with the Dome:

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
yes indeed, the scope of dereliction is mind boggling. In some ways one feels that more could have been done with such oppurtunity but then you also have to be impressed by the scale of change that has been undertaken and you realise not many Western cities would be able to deal with that.

·
Skyscraperholic
2,912 Posts
It seems a shame that Broad Street Station was shut down and never replaced, although I know we have the Broadgate Tower as a result.
Thank for the pics! They are brilliant! It's quite amazing how different London seemed only a few decades ago.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow....really shows how far London has come

I'm amazed with the amount of reclamation they did with Canary Wharf...

·
Banned
560 Posts
SE Londoner..yes i actually live in exile in Blackheath..but grew up in and around greenwich..this pics remind me of my childhood..my grandparents lived in canning town..so i can remember it being like that! Superb pictures:cheers:

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Wow good find :) Why was Limebank House demolished? And what's there now? I think it looked quite good next to the tower on Fenchurch street, so could have used a reclad.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind feedback!

Here's one of West Greenwich showing some quite large changes to today. The tower block in the centre of the photo is part of the Haddo Estate, currently being redeveloped - I think the tower is now demolished (see http://www.derelictlondon.com/photographs_of_haddo_estate__greenwich.htm), the land above it across Deptford Creek is the site of the Laban dance centre and ambitious redevelopment plans, and between there and the thames on right is now a large resi development west of the creek, and advanced plans to the east.

Here's Canning Town. You can see the old station (north of the A13, it's now south of it), and plenty of old industry now departed.

Here is the South Shoreditch/Spitalfields area, with the sites of the Broadgate and Northgate Towers, and Bishopsgate Goods Yard above.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Great pictures, I didn't realise how much Liverpool Street station changed with Broadgate's construction...

Makes you realise that the 'golden age' we live in isn't all that remarkable...

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
My god, I could only get my bearings on the Canning Town photo via the Leamouth river.

Note Canning Town station back then (North London line only!) was to the north of the A13, it is now situated to the south. Also I didn't realise the portion of Manor Rood which runs from Star Lane to Canning Town along the railway line roundabout didn't exist. And those two massive chimneys...what the hell were they! Wow.

·
Wise fwom your gwave
440 Posts
Great pictures! I find it hard to compehend the scale of the derelict land. Love the colouring on those old pictures, very Long Good Friday!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Afraid I don't have Greenland Dock or Silwood in that collection. Here's an OS base of that age for Rotherhithe though, which will give you an idea of the dereliction of the docks back then:

Here are some more aerial shots in the same vein and same era as those posted further above but these are not from originals but scanned from books. There are second hand versions on Amazon for less than a fiver plus p&p (no, I'm not selling, just a heads up for you!) Look out for The Thames: A History From the Air, 1990 and Aerofilms London From The Air, 1984

(Also look out for the excellent Over London: Jason Hawkes with Aerofilms, 2000 which has old and new aerial photos - but I'm assuming everyone's seen that one as it's recent? If not I could put a couple from there online. Hope that wouldn't offend any publishers as I have put a big plug here!)

Anyway, here's Canary Wharf under construction in the late 80s with Cascades in the foreground:

This is Harbour Exchange Square under construction, with good views of South Quay:

King's Cross, with the British Library site cleared in the foreground, and the gas holders and railway lands occupying the site of Argent's massive King's Cross Central scheme behind:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Absolutely amazing shots SElondoner! What gems.

The CW shots are fascinating, just before the major construction got ahead it looked like the calm before the storm, all those semi deserted docks. It really also shows how much in-fill went to CW to fit all those towers in.

Really interesting also seeing Lloyds going up, those shots are rare, I've never seen pics of it u/c.

What's the name of the tower (Mill something) near 20 FC that was demolished to make way for 54 Lombard Street (i think) - nice to see that making an appearance.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts