Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uppsala is the 4th biggest municipalty in Sweden. Uppsala is situated in the heart of Uppland and 50-60 km's northwest of Stockholm. Unfortunately these pictures are rather small but they're still kinda nice

No one really knows how old Uppsala is. Some say it was founded when it got it's city rights back in the 13th century but most agree it's far older than that. According to the sagas Uppsala or Upsalir/Upsal was the seat of the 1th century king Fjölnir (who later drown in beer after a meet with the king of Zealand). True or not but in Old Uppsala there excists big grave mounds o from the 5-6th century. grave mounds over fallen pre-viking kings/chefteins.

If the saga is right it would make Uppsala some 2000 years old ;) :lol:

About Fjölnir in Old Icelandic/Norse
Freyr tók þá ríki eptir Njörð; var hann kallaðr dróttinn yfir Svíum ok tók skattgjafir af þeim; hann var vinsæll ok ársæll sem faðir hans. Freyr reisti at Uppsölum hof mikit, ok setti þar höfuðstað sinn; lagði þar til allar skyldir sínar, lönd ok lausa aura; þá hófst Uppsala auðr, ok hefir haldizt æ síðan. Á hans dögum hófst Fróða friðr, þá var ok ár um öll lönd;
Old Uppsala was the religious Asa center of the old North until christianity became state religion in the 11th century. Instead Uppsala became the center of the catholic church in Sweden and a rather bigcathedral was built in Old Uppsala. It was replaced by a brick cathedral in the 12-15th century. It took the poor farmers around 150 years to build the biggest cathedral in N. Europe.

Around 50 years after the cathedral was finished the pope gav his permission and the university of Uppsala was founded, making it the oldest University in Northern Europe, and nowadays also one of the biggest with over 40.000 students :)

"city" as we call downtown. Mostly buildings from the 60's but we're currently working on fixing it. And let me tell you, we're doing hell of a good job ;)

Morning fog over Luthagen

Luthagen and Katedralskolan (Cathedral school) can be seen in the middle (before the renovation) The head building is from the mid 19th century but the school dates back to the 13th century. Famous people such as Gustav Vasa, Dag Hammarskjöld, Ringil, two Nobelprize winners, one early 20th century PM (etc), went to school at Katedralskolan. The second oldest school in Uppsala is called Lundelska skolan or commonly called "skrapan", and of course the rivalry is huge.

Skokloster slott, a grand 17th century castle just south of Uppsala. (15 min by boat)

German Tourists? :dunno:

The Police station. Yeeey, a highrise! Due to the casle and the cathedral we have a law making it illegal to build tall :(

It usually gets rather dry in Uppland during the summer. (around 500 mm a year). It's also the hottest city (Målilla is a bloody village) in the Nordics with a July record of 38C.

The unfinished castle (thanks a lot Sthlm) and the Botanical Garden.

Ångströms laboratry in the foreground. The place where the satellites are made

looks like fun

Parts of the "massive" Uppsala harbour. Skokloster castle can be seen in the distance (the white dot)

One of those 17th century castles

Wiks slott. A medieval castle whose owner declared England war in the 14-15th century when his pirate show was intercepted by the English fleet. Once had 10 floors and it has never been taken.

I can see my boat :)

Östra Aros, where the river Fyris meets Ekoln and Mälaren

The Academical hospital can bee seen to the right. Third biggest in Sweden. They're currently investigating where to build a new part to the hospital. The hospital aim to spend several billions SEK on the new building, but where to put it?

thx for watching, and again, sorry for the small pictures

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Very nice thread.:eek:kay:

It was replaced by a brick cathedral in the 12-15th century. It took the poor farmers around 150 years to build the biggest cathedral in N. Europe.
Is it really the biggest?, it looks much smaller than Nidaros. Ive always read that Nidaros was the biggest medieval cathedral in the nordics, so it may be that Uppsala is not counted as medieval? strange if it was finished in the 15th century.

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice thread.:eek:kay:

Is it really the biggest?, it looks much smaller than Nidaros. Ive always read that Nidaros was the biggest medieval cathedral in the nordics, so it may be that Uppsala is not counted as medieval? strange if it was finished in the 15th century.
Outside Norway it's referred to as the biggest cathedral ;) The thing was that it had that size from the beginning while Nidarosdomen today is bigger than what it was during the medieval era while the only part of of Domkyrkan are the 19th century towers. Still Domkyrkan with its 119 meter tall towers is counted as the biggest :) The construction began in the 1280s and it was finished in 1435.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uppsala_Cathedral

·
囧!
10,897 Posts
Awesome thread. Can't get enough of aerials - especially of Uppsala. Keep em' coming if you can find more, Ringil. I love it.

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
Cute, aerials are awesome indeed, Uppsala looks very nice in the summer evening (morning? or both) :) Sometimes I feel I have to take a trip in a balloon!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Wiks slott. A medieval castle whose owner declared England war in the 14-15th century when his pirate show was intercepted by the English fleet. Once had 10 floors and it has never been taken.
Hahaaa. He sounds great. One man (suppose he had an army and a fleet... Ish, but still) declaring war on England. Love it.

Uppsala looks awesome btw. Quite cozy, yet quite big.

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Great photos Ringil! Good find!

Good trip to France! Ill see ya in Riga.. oh wait.. no i wont!! :bash: damn u!

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Uppsala looks like a fairy-tale. I love it! :kiss:

·
Salad Days Are Here
3,649 Posts
My ex studied in Uppsall - studying theoretical particle physics there or something. She didn't mention of it, made more mention of the swedish people there.

She's now studying in Dortmund. Lucky girl. =/

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Nice find, Ringil, and great comments. Uppsala looks nice from above too.

Famous people such as Gustav Vasa, Dag Hammarskjöld, Ringil, two Nobelprize winners, one early 20th century PM (etc), went to school at Katedralskolan.
:lol: Oh yeah, the world famous Ringil also went there!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Outside Norway it's referred to as the biggest cathedral ;) The thing was that it had that size from the beginning while Nidarosdomen today is bigger than what it was during the medieval era while the only part of of Domkyrkan are the 19th century towers. Still Domkyrkan with its 119 meter tall towers is counted as the biggest :) The construction began in the 1280s and it was finished in 1435.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uppsala_Cathedral
Damn, looks like I am going to have to concede on this one. I hate being wrong. Are you sure, though, that Uppsala cathedral was as big as it is now in medieval times? I knew that Nidaros was smaller back then. And what size are we actually measuring here, height, length, width, height of vault? Im not giving up completely here, hehe. I still believe there must be some truth to the statement that Nideros was the biggest medieval cathedral, i doubt that all those sources Ive been seeing over the years were just plain wrong.
Still, your explanation seems convincing enough.

Anyway, I enjoyed the pics, thanks.:)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Nice to see Skokloster again. Have been there many many times when I was a child (summerhollidays).:cool:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Very nice pics, thanks Ringil! Btw, you mentioned something about the make-over in "downtown" Uppsala what with the 'Musikens hus' and all; what about a photo tour from street level, showing off some of the new developments? :) We haven't seen many of those from Uppsala, right?

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
. And what size are we actually measuring here, height, length, width, height of vault? Im not giving up completely here, hehe. I still believe there must be some truth to the statement that Nideros was the biggest medieval cathedral, i doubt that all those sources Ive been seeing over the years were just plain wrong.
height, lenght, height of vault, total size, you name it bro :)

AW: I was more thinking of the renovation of buildings from the 60s, new pedestrian areas. All small but still very important changes. Sadly I dont have any fresh ones from the camera, but it might come sooner or later :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts