Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing searches on the affordable housing plans. Finally I got something today. I'm optimistic most of these projects will come to life esp with the aggressive push for Big 4. Most of these projects are huge and thought best would be to keep the threads seperate

I have a hard time posting pics on here, but here is the link

http://scarlettdesigns.in/affordable_housing_jeevanjee_nairobi_county.html

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
^^^Its 1000 times upgrade from our slums. I want to see this in Kibera, Mathare, Korogocho and all the informal settlements countrywide. Let them pay 1000-2000 rent monthly to NHC just to maintain them. Gov is not here to make profit but give service. Then limit unit transfer to a number of years to prevent it from being rented out to middle class families. Once you are relocated from your slum plot to allow demolition and build of this blocks. You get an allotment that isn't transferable. You fail to take it up and live there, its given to the next person at the slum. This way all the slum land will be built up and residents upgraded to live there in safe, clean and comfortable houses.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
When this projects are done, middle class will occupy them because there is shortage of housing for middle class who end up in places like roysambu, umoja inner core and the like. Slum dwellers will have to wait a little longer or maybe they will from places like kibera to ryosambu as they go replace middle class there

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Any chance the can assign rental tokens to slum dwellers to encourage their occupation?

Also, from the experience of the public housing debacle in the states and elsewhere, having a project occupied by only low income renters IS A BIG NO-NO... all you will bring is the associated short falls to the area. A mixed pool of renters i.e. low, and middle income would likely work best. I am curious as to the process that they would use to assign the houses to city residents

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The American Ghetto (read Bronx) is here :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bronx is actually a good place to live :) This can really turn out good if they put a lil bit of thought to it. If they increase the No. floors to at least 20, means they can knock out at least 8 towers and @ 22flrs they can knock out 10 and still have the same number of apartments. If the do this, they can create plenty green space and amenities like pool.
2nd, they should get rid of the wall and have this configured like a city st, with super wide sidewalks, and ground floors used for retail space and other amenities.
3rd people concerned that its a bad idea putting all poor people in one place.. kenya is already segregated like that. Unfortunately i dont see tht changing anytime soon.In the next 4 years these houses will only benefit middle class coz they are being built by private investors..for profit.

Another unfortunate thing is easiest way to tackle housing is from top to bottom. Say if govt gave these houses to people living in Kibera without sorting out the middle class, the poor are just going to lease/ sell to middle class

This can actually turn out better than downtown Nrb if well planned/ houses configured differently. Doesnt necessarily have to cost much more..just creative planning!

·
Registered
845 Posts
When this projects are done, middle class will occupy them because there is shortage of housing for middle class who end up in places like roysambu, umoja inner core and the like. Slum dwellers will have to wait a little longer or maybe they will from places like kibera to ryosambu as they go replace middle class there
This is probably for the middle class. Poor folks cant afford cars so hakuna haja ya carpark lol!

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Problem with keeping out the middle class is the danger of turning the whole area into a Ghetto. Let the different groups share decent hospitals, schools, roads etc and this will slowly raise standards of living for all. Let some of that "wealth" from the middle class help maintain those important services for all

·
Registered
27 Posts
Affordable Housing

Got a copy of a presentation detailing the affordable housing plan.

This will be undoubtedly the largest construction project(s) Kenya has ever undertaken which may completely change the housing sector.​

Here are some key snapshots;

The developments will have features such as:
- Smart technology (waste management, parking, water billing)
- Controlled access and perimeter security
- Atleast 5-15% open spaces and footpaths

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Damn those are some ugly apt typologies and would suck if investors are restricted to those designs! Hope those are for the mashinani / social housing. 5flrs in Nrb is such a waste of space/ money. I don't like the idea of perimeter security esp coming from the govt. Basically an admission that the cannot guarantee security. We should move away from fencing everything and come up with ways of reducing crime, like creating more job opportunities. If it was up to me I would have an open city plan with ground flr space utilized to provide cheap space(no goodwill/affordable monthly rates), for small scale business traders, tech hubs, light manufacturing etc.
But as usual docs dated may still "confidential" when groundbreaking is expected to be done in jul. I hate this shit where govt officials feel like they don't have to consult the people while they make plans which may not suit the people. Soon some of these projects will hit headwinds i.e resistance, demos, court cases. I guarantee you the residents have not been fully consulted. A few weeks to presidents groundbreaking ceremony notices will be sent, few demos and i can bet the July date will be postponed due to "UNFORESEEN" challenges. :eek:hno:: Kenya for you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is (so far) no Land Contestation in those approved areas in lot 1. Affected residents have already been compensated.

The secrecy may seem sinister but it is by design. Key details have been intentionally restricted to keep away privy tenderprenures. The delivery team of this housing program will report directly to the president.

As for the typology, you need to remember these developments will mostly utilize low cost, pre-cast technology and modular layouts. The floors will definitely vary per project as most will be PPPs where the gov only provides land and infrastructure.

Being a legacy project, expect some above average execution but hiccups here and there will be unavoidable.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
There is (so far) no Land Contestation in those approved areas in lot 1. Affected residents have already been compensated.

The secrecy may seem sinister but it is by design. Key details have been intentionally restricted to keep away privy tenderprenures. The delivery team of this housing program will report directly to the president.

As for the typology, you need to remember these developments will mostly utilize low cost, pre-cast technology and modular layouts. The floors will definitely vary per project as most will be PPPs where the gov only provides land and infrastructure.

Being a legacy project, expect some above average execution but hiccups here and there will be unavoidable.
Thanks man for sharing the information. I can see they are "confidential" I like that it will be built by PPP and not public funds. I like the green spaces and its 1000% better than our current slum housing/low class houses. To balance my take between the good and areas that need improvement. I wish they would move all the bedrooms to one side and sitting room to the far end. I noticed one has to literary cross the living room to access the bathroom at the other side. The kitchen too would be wise to be enclosed. This open kitchen isn't popular here. Good luck to the teams handling this at Housing department.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mwana if you are in the delivery team, please consider providing affordable retail space on ground floors. Lets make these place residential and business hubs. Affordable business space can spur growth, encourage small enterprise/manufacturing. Eg group of tailors/carpenters/coblers etc can organize and open shop to produce branded products..Tech hub spaces, ECD space, clinic space, huduma centers etc. If well thought out these development can spur growth and create employement

1 - 20 of 47 Posts