Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many different news stories regarding this mornings police raids doing the rounds. Im surprised noone here on SSC is touching the story. Especially in light of recent anti-immigration discussions weve been having on various threads.

What is wrong with these people. Obviously 99.9999% of Mozzies wouldnt dream of doing anything like this. They must despair as much as the rest of us that toerags likes these guys want to undermine our society. I'd love to send 'em back home- not sure yet if they are Aussie or Somali/Lebbo born but.

Terrorist cell plotted suicide attack on base, court told

A man charged over an alleged conspiracy to attack an army base in NSW put on a defiant face in court today, refusing to stand before the magistrate.

Nayef El Sayed, 25, of Glenroy, briefly appeared at Melbourne Magistrates Court this afternoon. He was remanded in custody to reappear on October 26.

El Sayed would not stand when asked to by the magistrate, Peter Reardon. When asked why, El Sayed's lawyer, Anthony Brand, said his client would not stand for any man except for God, according to his religious beliefs.

The Victoria Police Commissioner says his department will pursue those responsible for leaking information about Tuesday's raids to The Australian.

El Sayed is charged with conspiring to do acts in preparation for a terrorist act, namely an armed attack on the Australian Army Base at Holsworthy, south-west of Sydney.

Earlier, the court heard that the suspected terrorists arrested today allegedly intended to become martyrs in an attack on the base.

The court heard police believed there was a conspiracy to use weapons to fire upon Australian military personnel.

Prosecutor Nick Robinson, SC, alleged the men intended to keep shooting until they were killed or arrested.

Mr Robinson agreed with the magistrate that their intention was to become martyrs.

The court heard only one man had been charged with terrorism-related offences while three other men remained in custody without charge.

Investigators are seeking a court order to extend their questioning of the men for eight hours.

One of the men, Saney Aweys, appeared in court handcuffed and flanked by two federal agents. He denied any connection with the men mentioned in court by Mr Robinson.

Aweys, who has not been charged and who was unrepresented, said he was a boilermaker and needed sleep after being awake for the past 30 hours.

He said the police had put him in a "small room [and] when I told them of my fatigue and tiredness they told me to have a nap with the lights on".

"I want it to stop now,’’ he said. "I want to have a rest.’’

Mr Reardon granted the application for Aweys to be interviewed for eight hours from 6pm tonight.

Federal agent David Kinton told the court the telephone intercepts had recorded text messages exchanged about the Holsworthy base.

He quoted one that allegedly said: "I stalked around. It is easy to enter."

He said the men had attempted to find an Islamic sheikh or religious authority to give them support to engage in violent attacks in Australia.

Mr Kinton said there had been other text messages sent between the men. "I'm waiting for your message," one allegedly said in relation to the information about the Holsworthy base.

"Can you give me the address of Australia and name of train station," another text allegedly said.

CCTV footage allegedly shows one of the men arriving at Holsworthy on March 28, Mr Kinton said. He said one telephone discussion intercepted by police involved a man believed to be in Somalia who was engaged in conflict there.

Mr Robinson said that evidence would involve electronic and physical surveillance.

In granting the application for the extension Mr Reardon said terrorism acts "strike at the heart of our democratic society". He said he would allow the questioning of "such serious allegations’’ to continue.

The hearing continues.

·
Premium Member
9,743 Posts
I can't understand why after being welcomed into a western society some seem to want to strike out against it. Why even come here in the first place? In general Australia is a pretty welcoming and friendly place, I can't imagine any reason for kill inducing hatreds being formented here.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I can't understand why after being welcomed into a western society some seem to want to strike out against it. Why even come here in the first place? In general Australia is a pretty welcoming and friendly place, I can't imagine any reason for kill inducing hatreds being formented here.
I think it's far, far mroe complicated than that.

These young men are brainwashed by people in higher places.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Australian police officers really should try their best to maintain the moral highground; tactics like all night interviewing and sleep deprivation only add to the terrorists' integrity.

However, how dare someone who has chosen to live here refuse to stand for a magistrate!?

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
Australian police officers really should try their best to maintain the moral highground; tactics like all night interviewing and sleep deprivation only add to the terrorists' integrity.

However, how dare someone who has chosen to live here refuse to stand for a magistrate!?
you understand the concept of the element of surprise, not only that its possible that they could have had info on other 'persons' who might be posing a threat, by getting that info earlier rather then later they have more chance of capturing the other possible threat.

·
6,447 Posts
So if these terrorists were able to carry out their planned attack, how successful would they have been? For a start there are unarmed private security guards on the gate, so there wouldn't be any issues getting in. And then what? The soldiers aren't usually armed when they're just working on base are they. How quickly would they be able to access weapons? Seems as though Australian army bases would be pretty vulnerable to an attack like this.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
lol. out of everything theyre alleged to have done/wanted to do, u take offence to that??
I don't take offence when someone tries to commit a crime... I don't find it too unethical to consider jail time as currency which can 'pay' for whatever you have the urge to do.

Disregard for the system which regulates this (especially disrespect for people in positions of authority) is far more serious IMO

maybe it was a korean judge?
How could you make the inference that I hate all Korean Australians because a certain religious community managed to ruin a whole suburb?

·
Melbourne quality poster
8,791 Posts
I don't take offence when someone tries to commit a crime... I don't find it too unethical to consider jail time as currency which can 'pay' for whatever you have the urge to do.

Disregard for the system which regulates this (especially disrespect for people in positions of authority) is far more serious IMO
so u dont take offence at someone committing rape or murdering someone or in this case planning a terrorist attack but they better stand up for the judge cos that would be taking things too far.

wow. i marvelled at your reasoning before but uve outdone yourself. i reckon even one of those funny looking, weird food eating, job stealing korean invaders u hate would laugh at your logic

How could you make the inference that I hate all Korean Australians because a certain religious community managed to ruin a whole suburb?
cos ure a bigot.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sanj I think it's time to be quiet. I understand where aussieboy is coming from. I actually agree with him. It's because that they think their god is more important than the state.

Anyway, these people should be kicked out of the country.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
so u dont take offence at someone committing rape or murdering someone or in this case planning a terrorist attack but they better stand up for the judge cos that would be taking things too far.

wow. i marvelled at your reasoning before but uve outdone yourself. i reckon even one of those funny looking, weird food eating, job stealing korean invaders u hate would laugh at your logic
If they rape and pillage yet accept the fact that it is fair and just that they will spend the next 30 yrs in jail, then I see no reason to take offence - this idea of "payment" for crimes forms the basis of a justice system which allows offenders to make a fresh start when they are released (by taking offence you brand criminals as unworthy humans for life)

In other words, I see contempt for the law as much less serious than contempt for the judiciary, and I'm quite sure that many others share my view

cos ure a bigot.
So you justify 1 inference with another?
That's smooth logic right there.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm pro-immigration, but I really am starting to turn against the idea of accepting in more Muslim immigrants since as we've seen in here, and countless countless countless other examples elsewhere, a lot of them tend to be really bad immigrants in general.

·
Premium Member
9,743 Posts
If security is still anything like what it was when I was in the Navy, then attackers like this would have run amok, shooting plenty of people. Especially if they timed it right, attacking somewhere like the mess hall during a meal time and blocking each entrance.

The only time our ships had armed sentries was when we were in Middle East countries like Dubai, Bahrain, etc. The rest of the times the weapons were locked in the armoury, and the ammo was in the magazines, it would take a while if you were being attacked to make an armed defence. In fact it would be a bit keystone cops like with people searching for the right keys, etc.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm pro-immigration, but I really am starting to turn against the idea of accepting in more Muslim immigrants since as we've seen in here, and countless countless countless other examples elsewhere, a lot of them tend to be really bad immigrants in general.
I agree. Most Muslims in the Western world are great people who contribute to society. However, the Muslim way of life is contradictory to many western values. No amount of integration will change this. For the good of everyone, they are best to be left out of the country.

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
aussieboy said:
Well I wouldn't stand for a magistrate either, better deport me.

aussieboy said:
Australian police officers really should try their best to maintain the moral highground
Pigs have morals?

aussieboy said:
In other words, I see contempt for the law as much less serious than contempt for the judiciary
This makes no sense.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts