Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
African economies will be severly handicapped if they dont improve the railroad system:eek:hno: . I dont get why they are not improving the old colonial railroads by buildiing new ones. We need them to move or people and goods and services around. Many of our people are to poor to buy cars and everything would be more effecient with rail travel then buses and cars. I keep seeing improvements in the road sector but we need to emphasize railroads more. Look at India and how it was helped by the railroad. You can move a large amount of cargo and people cheaply. Feel free to post news reports.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
African economies will be severly handicapped if they dont improve the railroad system:eek:hno: . I dont get why they are not improving the old colonial railroads by buildiing new ones. We need them to move or people and goods and services around. Many of our people are to poor to buy cars and everything would be more effecient with rail travel then buses and cars. I keep seeing improvements in the road sector but we need to emphasize railroads more. Look at India and how it was helped by the railroad. You can move a large amount of cargo and people cheaply. Feel free to post news reports.
I actualy had had an idea about that type of thing when I was sitting around one day. What would you all think if they were to build a sort of 'Trans-African" rail system? One that would, for example, go all the way from SA to Ghana?

It could start in southern africa-those nations, Namibia, Botswana and SA already have the best system. Then, it could go up north straight through Angola-Namibia just recently(I think in like march) built a rail connection there...then it could go through all the countries, right along western africa, and end in Accra or Kumasi, or something like that.

Here, I drew a sort of concept pic of it.

I didn't draw the rails in South Africa, but they to are connected. The railway system goes all the way from SA to Ghana, and passes by many of the major cities of the countries it goes through.

There would be logistical challenges-the line could simply be one rail, it would like have to be 2 or 3 tracks wide at some points. Then you'd need a large scale communications and monitoring system along the entire thing...then you'd have to get consent and willingness to help standardize and build it from each country it goes through...plus it will cost money(although I think that is one challenge that could be readily overcome).

But imagine if it were to be completed: companies and manufacturer could move goods almost clear across the continent in one go! It would bring in tons of jobs, and investors would see Africa as a more attractive destination since they know they could easily move their products. You could even make it into a tourism attraction! And around the rail, many stores and other installation would pop up, and the towns that it passes by would benefit greatly from the business generated.
It would be huge! And like I drew in the pic, you could branch it out so that it went east as well. The possibilities are almost endless.

I know there would be many challenges, but what do you all think of this?

·
Premium Member
30,859 Posts
^ Nice.

But I'm not so sure if the Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique spurs from the Congo will happen anytime soon.

Many African Railroads are so need in repair that they need to be re-built from the ground up...not only for freight, but also for passengers (eventually, in like 2100, we could turn that into HSR. :lol:)

The majority were designed not for people originally, but to move raw materials from the interior to the coast. To make a truly trans-African railroad system, it would cost billions and large commitment.

It would be nice to copy Europe's system, where the nations there built their own systems and then connected it. As an American, I'm envious of their system there. Africa is too big in comparison, so they should make regional networks first...

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
Great idea. Though I wish you also included a line connecting E.Africa (from Mombasa to Nairobi in kenya through to Uganda then Kisangani (DRC) and connecting the line to Kinsasha or Mbuyi-maji. I guess the only line you would have to build from scratch would be in the DRC since the East African railway line exists upto the DRC border with Uganda. (This is a tall order unless the DRC get their act together. currently, the majority of physical infrastructure eg. roads in the Eastern DRC are non existent. And I guess its easier building a road network than a railway).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
DanteXavier, it's not fair to exclude "North-Africa" and East-Africa" from ur charity rail project.We ve got many inevitable countries up their,like Egypt,Kenya,Algeria,Ethiopia,morocco and maybe Sudan,or Tunisia.
If you can't afford to devote all your money,you may partner with the "European union" or "British" and "United states" to rake in millions!:lol: :lol: :lol:

SUPPORT DANTEXAVIER FOUNDATION:nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
^ Nice.

But I'm not so sure if the Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique spurs from the Congo will happen anytime soon.

Many African Railroads are so need in repair that they need to be re-built from the ground up...not only for freight, but also for passengers (eventually, in like 2100, we could turn that into HSR. :lol:)

The majority were designed not for people originally, but to move raw materials from the interior to the coast. To make a truly trans-African railroad system, it would cost billions and large commitment.

It would be nice to copy Europe's system, where the nations there built their own systems and then connected it. As an American, I'm envious of their system there. Africa is too big in comparison, so they should make regional networks first...
Well, that is whyi thought it'd be good to start in southern africa because those nations have the best system already. Going through angola and most of the rest of the countries shouldn't be a problem, but as Kenguy said, DRC is a challenge. Perhaps building that small railway section going through by Kinshasa wouldn't be too hard, but getting it to break off and branch out to connect with the East African system in Uganda would be tough.

Alternatively, we could consider this:

In the west it would still be the same. The line would branch into Angola from namibia, which is already part of a rail network in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa that is pretty extensive. I've just found out that Mozambique is actually already connected to South Africa, which is great, and it is connected to malawi and Zimbabwe to. However, there are no connections aside from those.

The railways could now, conceivably, simply go right up north from Mozambique, and then connect with Kenya, Tanzania, and then eventually with Uganda, Rwanada and Burundi. Zamibia will also be connected as well, since rail lines already exist between Zambia and Zimbabwe, and Zim. is connected to Moz., but those lines will probably need a little refurbishment.

By completely bypassing the eastern DRC, construction gets a whole lot easier. In the west, the line will still ave to get through Kinshasa, cross the river and then go through brazzaville, but that isn't too much land and it shouldn't be that hard to accomplish. If anyhting, kinshasa should benefit from the accumulation of trade going through, as will brazzaville.

What do you guys think of the new idea? keep in mind, spurs could be constructed later and then we can connect Cote D'Ivoire, CAR and the like, but I think this would be a good start.

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
I think its great that you added East Africa into the rail network. But I still feel that by-passing the DRC is only a temporary measure. you cant ignore the country's potential (population and minerals) from which the railway may benefit if it were to pass through the DRC. Most importantly, it would open up the interior. (countries such as Kenya first built railways before roads were built to open up the country). The East African line should also pass through Mombasa as this is the biggest port in the entire region.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I think its great that you added East Africa into the rail network. But I still feel that by-passing the DRC is only a temporary measure. you cant ignore the country's potential (population and minerals) from which the railway may benefit if it were to pass through the DRC. Most importantly, it would open up the interior. (countries such as Kenya first built railways before roads were built to open up the country).
You're right. I was thinking that the line could simply be extended to go through the DRC lated by being expanded west from Burundi. This could be done fairly easily, but we could wait until the DRC is fully stable enough.

The East African line should also pass through Mombasa as this is the biggest port in the entire region.
Well the east african line in my picture is simply connecting to the Kenyan rail system at Nairobi. By connecting up with the Kenyan system, Mombasa is already linked since they already have a rail going from there to nairobi.:) The connection of the east african portion of the railway will only help by making it possible for people to theoretically take a train from mombasa and go all the way down to, say, pretoria, if they wanted to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts