Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Africa: Open For Business" probes into the world of successful African businesses and exposes myths while debunking fears surrounding doing business in Africa. With concise segments following successful African and Africa-based entrepreneurs, decade-long Journalist, Carol Pineau´s film shows resilient and creative businesses who meet and exceed international standards everyday.
:)

A Very smart Nigerian woman entrepreneur

Name: Adenike Ogunlesi

Founder of "Ruff ´n Tumble" (Childrens´ wear)

An excerpt, this one is about a Nigerian businesswoman, Adeniki Ogunlesi.

OGULESI: Ruff 'N Tumble started out in 1996; really was an accident. My kids ran out of pajamas and I used to make clothing for women. So I decided that I'll just make some pajamas for my kids. And I told my girlfriend and she said oh, fantastic idea. Can I have five for my kids? So my husband then said why don't you just try some shorts, some skirts, some tops? And I took my car, my trunk of clothing, my kids, a cooler full of drinks, cold water. And we sold in every single bazaar that was going on.

I went to Italy and I sat in Benetton, and I said this is what I want to do in Nigeria. And I went to London and I sat in Gap, and I said this is what I want to do in Nigeria. I started going to the Lagos business store.

They were so helpful.

This is our mission statement. And our mission is to "Create and we cloth children to international standards in functional, durable and versatile clothing that gives comfort and value to our customers."

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I'm sure my son is really going to like this.

OGULESI: We don't export now. Export to the West African coast, yes. All along the West African coast, yes. But to say America or to England, I'm not interested in it at all. If 40 percent of the 130 million people in Nigeria's children, I have a potential of a huge market here.

Made in Nigeria by Nigerians.

OGULESI: I will never forget the day I was in Zurich and I brought out my Nigerian passport. And I was treated so badly, so badly. And it hurt, you know? It really did hurt. And I asked why? And she said there's nothing good about Nigerians. And I said it is so untrue, you know? That this -- woo! Excuse me.

PS: This is an older interview, she started exporting clothes to the USA by now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts