SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1034 Posts

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love tree lined streets. Post your African cities with beautiful trees here.

Reactions: JustWatch

·
Banned
181 Posts
Stellenbosch
Also known as Eikestad (Oak City)

Didn't know you had oak trees in SA.
Is it a common tree in SA?
What type of Oak trees are common in SA ?
For example are both red Oak and white Oak common in SA?
Is Oak native to SA?
Do you also have Hickory trees in SA?
I read that barbecue (braai) is big in SA. Do they use would to smoke their meat and if so do use Oak or Hickory mostly ?

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
well i dont think that those posted are the majority- they were colonial settler cities.

The only area of Accra that is properly tree lined is Ridge- the old haunt of the colonials.
Can't speak for the rest but Kenya got independence way back in 1963, the only street layout that existed then is the second picture (Kenyatta avenue) but even that street is very different from what it looked in the 1950s(more trees, expanded road)

As for the other three pictures,

>>Area in foreground of first picture in my post was designed and built up in the 80s/90s

>>Third pic, downtown rest area, designed and built in the late 70s.

>>Last picture is a very new CBD in Nairobi,so most street layouts are fairly new....it was previously a residential area though.

·
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Johannesburg - probably the city with the best tree-lined streets on the continent.

·
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Nairobi - the green city in the sun. Nairobi is located on the boundary of a cold tropical rainforest climate and dry arid savanna. The Eastern and southern side of Nairobi are dry savanna with mostly acacia trees while the west and north is a former dense tropical rainforest hence ever green with the best tree lined streets.

Reactions: jeremyt
1 - 20 of 1034 Posts