SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
There's cake, right?
3,412 Posts
I was trying to deride the so so workmanship evident in those pictures, 88key!
Hayi kona, hop over the border and we (much more experienced Xhosa people) can impart some knowledge. :p

·
88Keys/88keys
1,100 Posts
I was trying to deride the so so workmanship evident in those pictures, 88key!
Hayi kona, hop over the border and we (much more experienced Xhosa people) can impart some knowledge. :p
Hehe, the huts here can be really shabby which I blame on the poverty. The style here is also not really Swazi. It's costly to have a proper thatch job done here. You can still find the proper Swazi huts in cultural centres:

The rondavels in Transkei are very impressive. I also give props to the Ndebele huts.

·
There's cake, right?
3,412 Posts
^^Eish 88key, now I feel so bad. I wasn't criticing the huts at all. I am very aware that some communities (here in SA) have no choice but to build in that format due to economic reasons. Instead I was referring to the kraals still!

I recently visited family in the Transkei and took some kraal pics especially for you. Will post soon.

·
88Keys/88keys
1,100 Posts
^^Eish 88key, now I feel so bad. I wasn't criticing the huts at all. I am very aware that some communities (here in SA) have no choice but to build in that format due to economic reasons. Instead I was referring to the kraals still!

I recently visited family in the Transkei and took some kraal pics especially for you. Will post soon.
No worries man :)

I'm looking forward to seeing that.

·
There's cake, right?
3,412 Posts
Usuka eslalini fundini?
That's a nice Xhosa attempt, Nostra.

Amakhaya awo onke amaXhosa ziilali ngalali kwiphondo laseMpuma Koloni.
It doesn't matter that I grew up in Pretoria, lived in Midrand and now Edenvale- it will always be home.
I will be buried there one day.

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,384 Posts
Kakamega, Kenya

1 - 20 of 36 Posts