Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
Explore
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forbes (www.forbes.com) has published a list of the world's US$ billionaires and the 2000 biggest companies in the world. Here's how Africa fares:

US$ Billionaires
Global rank___Name_______________Country______Worth (billion US$)
62_______Naguib Sawiris____________Egypt_______10
158______Onsi Sawiris______________Egypt_______5
158______Nicky Oppenheimer & family_South Africa__5
194______Johann Rupert & family____South Africa__4.3
226______Nassef Sawiris____________Egypt_______3.9
432______Donald Gordon___________South Africa__2.2
664______Samih Sawiris_____________Egypt______1.5

Biggest Companies
316 Standard Bank Group.. South Africa.. Banking
333 FirstRand ..South Africa.. Banking
474 Sasol.. South Africa.. Oil & Gas Operations
554 Sanlam.. South Africa.. Insurance
656 Telkom.. South Africa.. Telecommunications Services
705 MTN Group.. South Africa.. Telecommunications Services
1023 Remgro.. South Africa.. Conglomerates
1115 Bidvest Group.. South Africa.. Conglomerates
1190 Impala Platinum Holdings.. South Africa.. Materials
1273 Imperial Holdings.. South Africa.. Transportation
1433 Naspers.. South Africa.. Media
1443 Barloworld.. South Africa.. Conglomerates
1702 Steinhoff Intl Holdings.. South Africa.. Consumer Durables
1748 Alexander Forbes.. South Africa.. Insurance
1765 Gold Fields.. South Africa.. Materials
1837 Metropolitan Holdings.. South Africa.. Insurance
803 Royal Caribbean.. Liberia.. Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure
1508 Attijariwafa Bank.. Morocco.. Banking
957 Orascom Telecom.. Egypt.. Telecommunications Services
1560 Orascom Construction Inds.. Egypt.. Construction
1763 Telecom Egypt.. Egypt.. Telecommunications Services

Here's how they calculated the biggest companies:
What are the biggest companies in the world? Try to answer this question with a single metric (like sales) and you wind up with a lopsided list (one cluttered with retailers). We use four measures -- sales, market value, assets and profits -- to produce a composite measure of bigness. We also scorecard these companies to produce Global High Performers, an elite list of fast-growing big companies that set the pace for their respective industries.
Why are these lists still dominated by South Africa and Egypt? Where are representatives from emerging powers?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Where are all of the corrupt retired dictators. We all know what Mobutu did with that money.

Swiis anyone.

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
Forbes are racost, they will never publish Africans! this list is innaccurate! Trash, in a word! We all know that Africa is the only place in earth that remains largely "unquantified" (apart from SA). So this list is trash!

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The men and companies mentioned here are for big shots, notwithstanding their are Nigerias' also to be mentioned.Forbes of a true works with methodolgy of sales, market value, assets and profits not really seeing others which are not having international prospect, like NNPC of Nigeria second to shell in the country,according to a Nigerian friend of mine.He said,Nigerians have really good number of billionaires but their money aren't clean.No matter what, Nigeria shall occupy a place soonest,I beleive!

·
12,509 Posts
Forbes are racost, they will never publish Africans! this list is innaccurate! Trash, in a word! We all know that Africa is the only place in earth that remains largely "unquantified" (apart from SA). So this list is trash!
Not necessarily. May be it is correct, maybe not.

A lot of people don't make to the list because use tactics to avoid tax. For example, Someone will distribute the wealth in the name of family members because if it is concentrated in a single hand, it means more tax since tax rates change with thresholds.

Hence, there may be a lot more billionaires in Africa not making it to the list.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
naija; said:
those whites are not even rich enough if they were in nigeria.
Naija you are cracking me dude. You might hate whites, but the bottom line is they have worked hard to build their empires and guess what, they are recognized in the world. Build a successful multinational with clean records that will enable it to list in the world's largest stock markets then you will be recognized too. Sam Jonah did that just next door to you in Ghana with Ashanti Goldfields and took to NYSE and he won the accolades and recognition that he deserved (simple and straightforward).

I can't comment about NNPC because i don't know much about its financial records, but i am sure if its affairs were publicly known and acknowledged, it would be listed where it belongs. Most of the companies listed on the forbes list i believe are public listed companies so that may also explain why it is not on that list if its not listed on one of the major stock exchanges in the world.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
iluvnaija; said:
there is no way sasol is bigger than nnpc..its not possible. check global ranking of oil companies
Is NNPC listed on a stock exchange (if so which stock exchange)? Is it a public company or a state owned enterprise? The best way would probably be to look at the following. If its not a listed company then its very likely the reason why its not on the list.

How big is its balance sheet, annual revenues, how many employees, profits?

here's SASOL's financials as per the forbes list (SASOL is listed on New York Stock Exchange and Johannesburg Stock Exchange)

http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/jsp/finance/compinfo/CIAtAGlance.jsp?tkr=SSL&passGlobal=yes

Sales $9.248 bil
Profits $2.054 bil
Assets $15.835 bil
Employees 30,004

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Matthias Offodile; said:
how is Forbes going to quantify Africa when we still cant even even get our house together? Like know the difference between $700 billion and $7 billion as i saw yesterday with the vanguard newspaper while reporting on the Pfizer court case. Many here will prove my point on this forum, watch how they are going to argue that there are many more gazillionaires in Nigeria than even the UK i am sure. Why don't we even go for the world's richest man should be from Nigeria!!

·
I'm The King
6,724 Posts
Why is there so much Nigeria-Bashing on this forum, it’s too much, STOP!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
This is what i could find as far as NNPC is concerned. Anyone with more recent and/or more accurate figures will do well to enlighten us

http://www.answers.com/topic/nigerian-national-petroleum-corporation

Type: State-Owned Company
Address: NNPC Towers, Herbert Macaulay Way, Central Business District, Garki Abuja, Nigeria
Telephone: (234) 9 523-9141
Fax: (234) 9 234-0029
Web: http://www.nnpc-nigeria.com
Employees: 15,000
Sales: $2.6 billion (2005)
Incorporated: 1971 as Nigerian National Oil Corporation
NAIC: 211111 Crude Petroleum and Natural Gas Extraction; 211112 Natural Gas Liquid Extraction; 213111 Drilling Oil and Gas Wells

1 - 20 of 324 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.