Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering about this for awhile, but haven't found anything that's satisfied my question. And that is, in the heirarchy of the administrative divisions of Quebec, where do the Agglomération de Montréal and Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal?

As far as I can tell, the Agglomeration is still on the local level despite also being simultaneously a region and a territorial equivalent. What confuses me is that the Communauté métropolitaine is supposedly also on the level of territorial equivalent/municipalité régionale de comté (MRC), but appears to include municipalities that are, in fact, in other MRCs. That would seem to imply that a Communaute is on an administrative level at least a half-step above that of a MRC/TE. Either that, or it's a layer of regional government that's not on the traditional heirarchy. I can't quite figure it out.

Finally, what local/regional services are specific to each the agglomeration and the communaute? It seems that the level of local and regional government might be a bit excessive what with the city of Montreal, then the urban agglomeration of Montreal, and then the metropolitan community of Montreal.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts