SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I liked the rendering and think that this is what we need. I'm thinking that what they're trying to do with this is close off the current rail yard, remove all the hardware (rails, trains, etc.), build a foundation for the skyscrapers and the subterrain rail yard, top the foundation with a flat surface, then with a little landscaping and planning, buildtheir skyscrapers. I see this as a link between Centery City and University, along with the Science Center proposal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
They're not removing the rail yard - they're covering it. Where exactly do you think all those trains would be stored if they removed it?

What they're doing is exactly what the project is called - Air Rights. They're using the real estate above the yards which is provided by building on top of them.

It is planned to be the link between Center City and University City. That's the whole point and it has been since the idea was first proposed during the days before 30th Street Station was built.

·
Registered
194 Posts
how long will it be before they build those skyscrapers there?

·
Registered
194 Posts
thanx volguus, i feel like since i joined this thread i am privy to top secret info, hahaha....

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can find the most likely rendering in the Philadelphia Rundown thread at SSP. I have two others, one from the 80's done by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, available if you want to see those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts