SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
11,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Airbus introduces the A220-100 and A220-300

Airbus has revealed the A220 at a ceremony held at its Henri-Ziegler Delivery Centre, near Toulouse. Witnessed by Airbus employees and members of the global news media, the A220-300 landed directly from the painting at 12:25 am CEST wearing its new Airbus name and colours.

The A220 family comprises two models, the A220-100 and A220-300, formerly Bombardier Inc.’s C Series (CS100 and CS300). The aircraft are fully optimized for the 100 to 150 seat market and perfectly complement Airbus’ existing best-selling A320neo family.

“Everyone at Airbus has been looking forward to this historic moment. Today, we are thrilled to welcome the A220 to the Airbus family and are honoured to see it wearing its new Airbus colours for the first time,” said Guillaume Faury, Airbus President Commercial Aircraft, “I pay tribute to all the women and men at Bombardier and the supply chain who have strived over the past years to bring this fantastic aircraft to the world. The A220 now enters a new phase in its career with all Airbus’ ressources behind it to further its commercial success worldwide."

Eric Schulz, Airbus Chief Commercial Officier, added: “We are enthusiastic about selling the A220 thanks in particular to its technology which gives it a decisive edge in a very competitive market. I have received a lot of positive feedback from customers regarding the aircraft’s outstanding passenger experience, its lower fuel burn, lower weight and quieter engines. All these reasons contribute to my optimism that Airbus will support to make the A220 a great commercial success."
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2018/07/airbus-introduces-the-a220-100-and-a220-300.html

·
43,936 Posts
And here we go.

JetBlue Selects Airbus A220-300 as Key Component of Its Next Generation Fleet

JetBlue press release:
http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetblue_airways/usn/usnews-story.aspx?cid=981&newsid=55200

Released : 07/10/2018

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- JetBlue (NASDAQ:JBLU) today announced it has ordered 60 Airbus A220-300 aircraft – previously called the Bombardier CS300 – for delivery beginning in 2020, with the option for 60 additional aircraft beginning in 2025. The aircraft will be powered by Pratt & Whitney Geared Turbofan (GTF) PW1500G engines. The order follows JetBlue’s intensive review aimed at ensuring the best financial performance of the airline’s fleet while providing maximum flexibility to execute its network strategy and enhancing its industry-leading customer experience.

They were very close to an Embraer E2 order, Airbus buying the C Series has pulled them over to this plane as they have a very good relation with Airbus.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well that ddin't take long. Over on Anet there is a post about how Jetblue plans for the A220s to replace some of the older A320s. If this is a trend the order book for the A220 will fill up quickly.

·
Registered
N830MH
1,251 Posts
Well that ddin't take long. Over on Anet there is a post about how Jetblue plans for the A220s to replace some of the older A320s. If this is a trend the order book for the A220 will fill up quickly.

No actually, it will be replaced E190. Only for E190, not for the older A320.

·
Cold Ass Honkey
2,408 Posts
Airbus should now consider to stop producing the A319neo. There are only 55 orders for that version and the A220-300 has the same capacity and a brighter future. :)

The family should look like this:
A220-100
A220-300
A320neo
A321neo

:yes:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Airbus could very well position the A220 as the A318/319 successor.

I see British Airways buying a couple for the CWLCY service...

·
33,957 Posts
I can't believe they have been renamed :eek::eek:

but I think a220-300 sounds better as a221 :grass::grass:
Bombardier's problem was that airlines were sitting on the sidelines because they were unsure about the company's ability to compete with Boeing and Airbus in this segment/long term future of Bombardier.

The rebranding signals the backing of Airbus, that there's now financial muscle, and stronger marketing power behind this plane. Besides, Airbus own 51% of the C-Series now so they can call the plane whatever they want.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I can see IAG buying more than a few and not just for LCY routes either. I reckon they need 20-40 A220-100s for thinnish routes ex Ireland Scotland Wales and the north of England split between Aer Lingus and BA....and of course LCY.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Airbus should now consider to stop producing the A319neo. There are only 55 orders for that version and the A220-300 has the same capacity and a brighter future. :)

The family should look like this:
A220-100
A220-300
A320neo
A321neo

:yes:
I thought they already cancelled it, at least stopped selling it.

·
Premium member
6,955 Posts
I was reading that they will keep the A319 because its still required for difficult conditions such as high altitude airports or hot climates.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts