SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Světoobčan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The annual OAG Airline of the Year Awards celebrate the very best in global air travel and publicly recognize the highest standards within the industry
The OAG Airline of the Year Awards have been called 'The Oscars of the Airline Industry'.

Airline of the Year 2005 : Continental Airlines
Finalists: British Airways, CSA Czech Airlines, Emirates, LAN Airlines, Qantas Airways, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways

Best Airline Based in Africa : South African Airways
Nominees: Air Mauritius, Egyptair, Kenya Airways

Best Airline Based in Asia : Singapore Airlines
Nominees: Cathay Pacific Airways, Japan Airlines, Malayasia Airlines, Thai Airlines

Best Airline Based in Australasia/Pacific : Qantas Airways
Nominees: Air New Zealand, Australian Airlines, Virgin Blue

Best Airline Based in Central/Eastern Europe : CSA Czech Airlines
Nominees: Aeroflot Russian Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, MALEV Hungarian Airlines

Best Airline Based in Central/South America & Caribbean : LAN Airlines
Nominees: Aeromexico, Copa Airlines, TAM Brazilian Airlines, VARIG

Best Airline Based in the Middle East/Indian Sub-Continent : Emirates
Nominees: EL AL Israel Airlines, Gulf Air, Jet Airways, Qatar Airways

Best Airline Based in North America : Continental Airlines
Nominees: American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Northwest Airlines, United Airlines

Best Airline Based in Western Europe : British Airways
Nominees: Air France, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic

Best Europe to Asia/Australasia Airline: Singapore Airlines
Nominees: British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Emirates, Lufthansa

Best Transatlantic Airline: British Airways
Nominees: American Airlines, Continental Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic

Best Transpacific Airline: United Airlines
Nominees: American Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways, Qantas Airways, Singapore Airlines

Best Low Cost/No Frills Airline : Virgin Blue
Regional Finalists: easyJet, Southwest Airlines

Best Economy/Coach Class: American Airlines
Nominees: British Airways, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines

Best Executive/Business Class: Continental Airlines
Nominees: American Airlines, British Airways, Singapore Airlines, United Airlines

Best International FIrst Class : Singapore Airlines
Nominees: American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, United Airlines

Best Airport : Singapore Changi
Regional Finalists: Amsterdam Schiphol, New York JFK

Lifetime Achievement Award : presented to Maurice Flanagan,
Vice Chairman & Group President, The Emirates Group

Outstanding Service Award : Jaroslav Tvrdik
President, CSA Czech Airlines

Best Marketing Campaign : Emirates for its New York route launch
Finalists: Liverpool John Lennon Airport for 'Above Us Only Sky' and SriLankan Airlines for 'Born That Way'

http://www.oag.com/Airline+of+the+Year/

·
Světoobčan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mila said:
What? No Air Bosnia? Their service is exceptional to both airports they fly to.
:dunno:
Sorry, Mila. I have no idea how they pick the nominees.
Maybe the size of airlines is a factor and number of destinations.
I'm sure there is much more good airlines in EE then those four nominated. :pet:

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Actually it's widely known and noted by many people that constantly fly that Aerosvit of Ukraine has much better quality of service than Aeroflot of Russia

:)

·
Herzarsen
398 Posts
Thanks Prase1!

Great News! :)

I guess it goes hand in hand with the quality of airport. Prague International Airport - Ruzine has been voted the best airport in Central and Eastern Europe as well. ;)

:cheers1:

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Mila said:
What? No Air Bosnia? Their service is exceptional to both airports they fly to.
:lol:

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Skytrax airline awards are coming out soon as well. Gulf Air won best catering this year. Airline of the year should be displayed soon on Skytrax www.airlinequality.com

·
insatiable
309 Posts
Very deserved CSA is a great airline and i flew with them often !but the way the nominees are chosen is a bit questionable i mean in central europe you still have Austrian Airlines for example( though their inflight service for example is much worse than CSA) and these tend to win usually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure about the others but I can definately vouch for British Airways, very high standards of service throughout, at reasonable prices too.

·
sababa
7,841 Posts
Singi me neither, i flew with them twice but it was like a bad dream hahaha. And to add they have some very old aeroplanes, Tupolevs (Tu 154 for example).
About Malév, i flew to Israel a few month ago, and i have to say that their service became much better, they have now monitors every third row, they are giving much more things, like water before landing, sweet things, caffé, tea whatever not only during the meal. Also they bought a lot of new planes, they have only new Boings now, 20 of them and 9 small aircrafts.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Bikes said:
Singi me neither, i flew with them twice but it was like a bad dream hahaha. And to add they have some very old aeroplanes, Tupolevs (Tu 154 for example).
About Malév, i flew to Israel a few month ago, and i have to say that their service became much better, they have now monitors every third row, they are giving much more things, like water before landing, sweet things, caffé, tea whatever not only during the meal. Also they bought a lot of new planes, they have only new Boings now, 20 of them and 9 small aircrafts.
All, I suppose, thanks to EU membership :)

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
These are strange results... In any case, I'm not sure about Virgin Blu winning the discount carrier service, seeing how it's not exactly a rock bottom discount service (but in their defense, that's probably hard to do in a place as large as AUS). easyJet should have probably won that one -- flew with them for the first time from London to Berlin and had zero complaints. Professional staff, decent seat pitch (I think my transatlantic was worse!), modern (if basic) airplanes, and most of all, hella cheap.

·
It is north-way here
67 Posts
I flew with couple of eastern/central european carriers (CSA, Malev, Aeroflot, Balkan, Tarom, and LOT ... mostly during the late 90's and early 2000's) ... and beleive me guys the Tarom deserves a better ranking ... at least in 2003 their services were very good and their new airport looked nice ...

I have tried Aeroflot twice ... didnt like it.

Malev, well I really enjoyed the meals they served ... but their dont seem to have a large network.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts