SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1916 Posts

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think L2 is correct, There really isnt a thread for General Virgin Blue domestic flights, There are ones for V-International, Qantas, Tiger Airways. Probably could merge and rename with V-International, but iam not a mod :).

Thought i'd post the information I edited from the V-International thread, Didn't even realize. To kick thing off!

Excellent News!!! Virgin Blue from Townsville to Cairns, Rocky, Canberra & Gold Coast!!! Cheers Indictable!

VIRGIN BLUE UNDERTAKES PHASE TWO OF AIRCRAFT REDEPLOYMENT STRATEGY
FIVE BRAND NEW ROUTES TO BE INTRODUCED TO NETWORK

CANBERRA – HOBART ~ CANBERRA – TOWNSVILLE ~ TOWNSVILLE – GOLD COAST TOWNSVILLE – CAIRNS ~ TOWNSVILLE - ROCKHAMPTON

Wednesday 11 February 2009: Virgin Blue Airlines has announced it will launch five brand new services between a number of ports on its network including daily return flights between Canberra – Hobart, Canberra – Townsville, Townsville-Gold Coast, Townsville –Rockhampton as well as Townsville - Cairns. The new services will all commence from Monday 6 April.

The new flights are a result of the company’s strategic review in 2008 which highlighted an opportunity for the airline to redeploy aircraft from under–performing markets onto other routes.

Virgin Blue Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey, said, “Like all businesses, in these challenging times we need to keep our finger on the pulse and position our resources where they are most needed.

“The redeployment of some of our Embraer fleet to previously un-serviced routes is great news for these ports, in particular Townsville which has jagged four out of the five new services, because it means more convenient, regular and affordable direct air services which will provide plenty of choice for travellers.”

It is the first time since Virgin Blue launched in 2000 that the airline will offer flights between regional centres (Townsville – Cairns Townsville – Rockhampton and Townsville – Gold Coast). Fittingly, Townsville was also the very first regional centre the airline launched services to in March 2001 and will be the first port to be directly connected by Virgin Blue to not one, but three, other regional centres.

Special online SALE FARES for each of the routes go on sale from today until 17 February 2009, for travel from first day of nonstop service until 25 June:

* Canberra – Hobart $99* one-way on the internet
* Canberra – Townsville $149* one-way on the internet
* Townsville-Gold Coast $99* one-way on the internet
* Townsville-Cairns $69* one-way on the internet
* Townsville-Rockhampton $69* one-way on the internet

Virgin Blue will operate its executive-style EMBRAER E-Jets on all the new routes offering two by two seating configuration.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe that QantasLink only currently opperates the CNS-TSV route? Are the Canberra And Gold Coast new routes? http://virginblue.com.au/AboutUs/Media/NewsandPressReleases/P_007447.htm

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QantasLINK also cover that route, but iam pretty sure its expensive for a one way ticket.

·
WARREN
7,978 Posts
KJBrissy said:
Why not just catch the train to Ingham? Wouldn't it be quicker AND cheaper?
Takes 11 hours and 45mins from Rockhampton to Ingham on the Tilt Train departing at 2:05am (running once per week) - not exactly a quick trip. Take the more frequent (3x weekly) Sunlander and it'll be 14 hours.

Could fly from Rockhampton to Brisbane, then down to Sydney, back up to Brisbane and up to Townsville in that time.

Burden said:
QantasLINK also cover that route, but iam pretty sure its expensive for a one way ticket.
I assume that this service would be non-subsidised as AFAIK the coastal routes aren't.

When I was coming back from Charleville in Dec 2008 I took a look at the prices for QantasLink's daily Dash 8 and they were up to about $400 - yikes.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Takes 11 hours and 45mins from Rockhampton to Ingham on the Tilt Train departing at 2:05am (running once per week) - not exactly a quick trip. Take the more frequent (3x weekly) Sunlander and it'll be 14 hours.

Could fly from Rockhampton to Brisbane, then down to Sydney, back up to Brisbane and up to Townsville in that time.

I assume that this service would be non-subsidised as AFAIK the coastal routes aren't.

When I was coming back from Charleville in Dec 2008 I took a look at the prices for QantasLink's daily Dash 8 and they were up to about $400 - yikes.
Yeah the coastal routes aren't subsidised, the old Sunstate (Qantaslink) routes never even left the coast. Past Charters Towers it was Flight West's domain, but even under Flight West, they never used to be that expensive.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Interesting that DJ decided to take QFLink on at the BNE-CNS milk runs.

Regional Jets v Dash 8 propeller planes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
^^

r u talking about a -300 dash 8 or the -400...?? jets dont exactly shit on the -400.. except for maybe cruz altitude..

agreed though.. @ 42,000lbs in ISA +20c the poor lil -300 dont climb that well.

·
©
9,401 Posts
^^

r u talking about a -300 dash 8 or the -400...?? jets dont exactly shit on the -400.. except for maybe cruz altitude..

agreed though.. @ 42,000lbs in ISA +20c the poor lil -300 dont climb that well.
The Dash 8 Q400's are still not as smooth & quiet as the E-Jets, obviously.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
VIRGIN'S NEXT EMBRAERS

It would be nice to see where Virgin will fly to next with the next Embraer that comes, they got 6 more on order. I don't know the delivery times for these ac later this year sometime. My idea of new routes are cns-drw and tsv drw even per-cbr and drw-cbr. Then if they did that Virgin would have the national capital all linked to every state capital.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its not only Qantas......

Virgin plane plunges 20,000ft mid-flight

PASSENGERS on a Virgin flight from Townsville to Brisbane experienced a heart-thumping few seconds when their plane plummeted 20,000 feet close to Mackay yesterday.

The Boeing 737-700 aircraft, which left Townsville at 9am, had to land at Mackay Airport, where many passengers were forced to wait several hours before they could catch alternate flights to Brisbane.

Passenger Elizabeth Hansen, of Brisbane, said dropping 20,000 feet suddenly was “pretty scary”.

“It felt like my stomach rose up into my chest and then fell again. It was like a ride at the Ekka, the falling would speed up then slow down. I started to think about Air Crash Investigations on TV,” Ms Hansen said.

“We circled Mackay Airport a couple of times, which put people on edge. When we landed we could see fire engines parked on the tarmac, ready just as a precaution.”

Ms Hansen said as the plane began to fall the captain's voice came over the loud speaker.

“We were told we were at 30,000 and had to descend to 10,000. The captain warned us the oxygen masks may drop down but they didn't.”

Ms Hansen said she was told the plane had to descend quickly because the air conditioner was faulty.

“It felt sticky and hot inside the plane,” Ms Hansen said.

Virgin Airlines public and media relations manager Amanda Bolger said the plane was diverted to Mackay because of problems with a **** pit indicator.

“It wasn't an emergency landing, it was a precautionary diversion,” Ms Bolger said.

Ms Bolger said the passengers were placed on alternate flights to Brisbane throughout the day.

“Everyone was given a credit shell, which means the cost of your flight will be put as credit towards another flight,” Ms Bolger said.

Ms Hansen praised the flight attendants who kept everyone calm.

“They were serving meals when it happened. One attendant said don't worry we are just going to 10,000 feet; they kept everyone calm,” Ms Hansen said.

However, waiting at Mackay Airport for several hours was “annoying,” she said. Ms Hansen along with many others finally got on a flight to Brisbane at 5.10pm.

Although no-one was injured, the Air Transport Safety Bureau will await the report from Virgin's engineering section today to decide whether it will investigate the incident.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Is it me or something isnt right? Does anyone notice how serious the flight crews are these days on Virgin Blue flights. They arent as cheery as they used to be and dont have the humor like I thought they did.

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
Lets face the facts, Virgin Blue has pretty much become a Qantas on the Domestic Market, especially with the introduction of "Premium Economy". On Qantas sure its called Business Class, but in reality its nothing more then Premium Economy, unlike the International product.

Around Xmas time I found that Qantas was actually the cheapest to fly between Brisbane and Sydney. I think some people have formed a belief that Virgin Blue will give you cheapest flight. Which leads to them selling all of thier specials before Qantas.

EDIT: I am actually thinking about getting down to Melbourne for the A-League GF (assuming Qld Roar make it) and atm Qantas is looking cheaper to get up & down unless I want to fly at 6am in the morning. Jetstar is cheaper again but that means Avalon....

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Apparently it was a faulty switch that caused it, Here's another take on the incident.

Townsville flight forced to land

TOWNSVILLE travellers on a Virgin Blue flight to Brisbane were stranded in Mackay yesterday after a forced `precautionary landing'.

Panicked passengers told how they feared for their lives, as the plane appeared to lose cabin pressure and the airconditioning failed.

Virgin Blues public relations manager Amanda Bolger said a faulty cockpit warning light had forced the detour to Mackay Airport.

"It was a precautionary diversion, due to a cockpit warning light, not an emergency landing," Ms Bolger said

"Our crew followed standard procedures."

Ms Bolger said the cabin had not de-pressurised during the flight and engineers had established the forced landing was caused by a faulty cockpit warning light.

Although no one was injured, the Air Transport Safety Bureau will await the report from Virgin's engineering section on Monday to decide whether it will investigate the incident.

The flight DJ 656 left Townsville Airport at 9.15am and was due to land in Brisbane at 11am.

Instead passengers on the 737-700 were diverted to Mackay after the plane dived from 30,000 feet to 10,000 feet.

Elizabeth Hansen, a passenger onboard flight DJ 656, told national media yesterday the experience had been `terrifying'.

But she praised cabin crew for keeping passengers calm as the pilot warned oxygen masks could drop from the ceiling.

"The next thing we knew we were told we were being diverted to Mackay," she said.

Mrs Hansen said the plane had been experiencing problems with the airconditioning shortly before the pilot announced an emergency landing was necessary.

"There was a problem with the airconditioning. We weren't getting any fresh air through," she said

"When it got hot and clammy we freaked out a bit. The increasing and decreasing of speed freaked us out a lot, as well as the plane rocking."

While the plane touched down safely passengers were left furious when customer service staff informed them they'd have to pay for another ticket.

Ms Bolger said the majority of stranded passengers were moved throughout the day to their destinations.

She also denied passengers were required to pay for another ticket. She said they were given credit for another flight with Virgin for the inconvenience.

1 - 20 of 1916 Posts