Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it would be fun to hypothesize where an alternative location for MIA would be since we have had problems with the FAA on height restrictions on construction of new downtown buildings. I know the airport is not going to be moved,but thought it to be a challenge to find another area of Miami that could be cleared to build another airport.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Solely because I am an environmental advocate and understand the importance of the Coral Reef Ecosystem offshore and in Biscayne National Park, I am vehemently opposed to the creation of an island for a new airport. I agree that it was a wonderful idea for Osaka, where it's much less of an environmental impact to the area, and I admit that Chep Lap Kok island/airport at Hong Kong is by far the nicest facility I've ever seen--but it just wouldn't work for Miami.

Dade County has all those limestone quarries out west that have been dug from and are now exhausted. I say move the airport north and west to those... west of the I-75/FL-Turnpike interchange.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solely because I am an environmental advocate and understand the importance of the Coral Reef Ecosystem offshore and in Biscayne National Park, I am vehemently opposed to the creation of an island for a new airport. I agree that it was a wonderful idea for Osaka, where it's much less of an environmental impact to the area, and I admit that Chep Lap Kok island/airport at Hong Kong is by far the nicest facility I've ever seen--but it just wouldn't work for Miami.

Dade County has all those limestone quarries out west that have been dug from and are now exhausted. I say move the airport north and west to those... west of the I-75/FL-Turnpike interchange.
Good idea it would be in a more remote area and away from tall buildings.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
With all the money being spent on MIA it's a sure bet the airport isn't moving anywhere.

Because of the topography of Dade County and the environmental impact of putting anything so gargantuan out west close to the Glades, I honestly don't think there's ANY suitable "2nd" location within Dade...even hypothetically.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought Opa-Locka would be a good candidate.Relocate the smaller airport(small planes and equipment) to the southern part of Miami,such as Goulds or Florida City.Clear out land and tear down dilapidated areas of Opa-Locka so to add to the existing small airport to create the international airport.Put up several hotels and restaurants in the area to create new jobs and jumpstart the economy. Put up high-rise and mid- rise condos in the former MIA area.If this happened it would clear the height restrictions for new pre-construction buildings in downtown Miami and help these beleagured areas in South Miami and Opa-Locka.I know this won't happen because so much money and improvements have already been sunk into Miami International Airport as it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts