SkyscraperCity banner

2941 - 2960 of 3609 Posts

·
Hey There...
997 Posts
^^ Current capacity is 70 million which it is expected to cross this year. Expansion is being carried out in phased manner after which its capacity will rise to 85 million by 2025.

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
I'm guessing DEL will be in the top 10 by 2019. Does anyone know what the capacity for DEL currently is?
Current capacity is 64 million and final capacity by 2025 will be over 100 million (might be achieved sooner if traffic continues to grow like this). It might be more than 110 million but the constraint will be on air side. It will have 4 parallel runways by then with no more room to expand. Another airport with 100 million capacity is being planned 75 km south east of DEL.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
1. DEL - Delhi - 5,817,209 - 10.8%
2. BOM- Mumbai - 4,006,068 - 4.8%
3. BLR - Bangalore - 2,642,007 - 29%
4. MAA - Chennai - 1,823,714 - 13.4%
5. CCU - Kolkata - 1,765,920 - 16.6%
6. HYD - Hyderabad - 1,669,660 - 21.7%
7. AMD - Ahmedabad - 855,052 - 24.6%
8. COK - Cochin - 803,221 - 6.8%
9. PNQ - Pune - 777,779 - 20.9%
10. GOI - Goa - 615,205 - 9.6%

(% change YoY)
DEL's growth is excellent but I'm more amazed by BOM since its so capacity constrained.

Reactions: vaibhavgupta89

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
A few years ago that was true but not at today's exchange rates.

Melbourne is growing a lot faster than Montreal. You're bang on there. Besides the introduction of ULCCs a lot is riding on Air Canada's ability to turn YUL into a hub between Europe and the US. It's very early on in their strategy but it's working so far.

Btw, Air Canada is trying to do the same with YYZ and YVR except with YVR they're concentrating on Asia - United States traffic.
I think about this quite a bit. Canada's high airport taxes and more restrictive aviation environment are other huge reasons why Australian airports are busier. Granted Australian cities are growing faster than Canadian ones, but Australian airports have to rely largely on O&D traffic, whereas YYZ, YUL and YVR are able to serve as connecting hubs for the huge American market to the rest of the world. Just look at the massive amount of competition for international traffic to Australia compared to Canada. As a passenger I much rather have more choices, more competition, better service and better prices, however our government and AC don't seem to think so. Having said all that, the introduction of LCC's is a positive start.

Reactions: isaidso

·
35,492 Posts
Air Canada surely doesn't want more competition and the government surely likes how Air Canada is growing YVR, YUL, and YYZ. They're in a sweet spot as an entrenched dominant carrier and its showing up in their bottom line.

Do you think the new ULCCs will have a significant effect on passenger volumes at Canadian airports? I remember Canada 3000, Jetsgo, and Canjet but none of them managed to have an impact and all of them shut down. I suppose with Westjet launching Swoop, Air Canada's Rouge will have serious competition for the first time. I'm hoping 2 ULLC's backed by the 2 big Canadian airlines will mean things will be different this time around.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
The CAA statistics for June are now out - minus Inverness and Jersey -so here is my monthly analysis. Please note that as I have added 3 American airports to Part 4 I'm afraid I have had to take 2 screenshots!

Anyway I hope you find it of interest.

MAN figures are excellent, slight dip given the demise of Monarch, but this slack is now being picked up by the likes of Jet2,easyJet, Thomas Cook Airlines etc ( there is infact an ex MON a321 operating in hybrid colours of TCX and MON). New services and destinations coming on line at the end of the year should see 30,000,000 Pax achieved very soon.

·
Gincan
930 Posts
That sounds about right for India. Mumbai is supposed to have a new airport under construction and the clever buggers have so far hidden it from satellites. :(
You can clearly see the earthworks done in the location of the future airport if you use the free to use sentinel playground viewer, it has very low resolution but good enough so that you can see works are taking place. The latest images are only a few days old. Don't forget to move the cloud cover slider to 0, otherwise you will se nothing.

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground/

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Air Canada surely doesn't want more competition and the government surely likes how Air Canada is growing YVR, YUL, and YYZ. They're in a sweet spot as an entrenched dominant carrier and its showing up in their bottom line.

Do you think the new ULCCs will have a significant effect on passenger volumes at Canadian airports? I remember Canada 3000, Jetsgo, and Canjet but none of them managed to have an impact and all of them shut down. I suppose with Westjet launching Swoop, Air Canada's Rouge will have serious competition for the first time. I'm hoping 2 ULLC's backed by the 2 big Canadian airlines will mean things will be different this time around.
The government has always listened to AC. What AC wants, AC gets. I know many people will argue that its not the case, but clearly someone powerful in Ottawa has/is being influenced by an AC executive.

Reactions: isaidso

·
Registered
6,986 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
CDG and AMS passed both the 70 million mark for the rolling 12 months for the first time and in June AMS will overtake CDG to become Europa second biggest airport.

·
Registered
145 Posts
CDG and AMS passed both the 70 million mark for the rolling 12 months for the first time and in June AMS will overtake CDG to become Europa second biggest airport.
Makes perfect sense with the number of runways it has as well as the added benefit of not having French overregulation and continuous strikes.

I would not be surprised to see CDG drop out of top 10 worldwide in the next 5 years and europe top 10 in 15 years.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
June statistics for this two airports have been:

Amsterdam-Schiphol: 6,385,737 (+3.80%)
Paris-Charles de Gaulle: 6,499,799 (+6.3%)

So CDG grew faster this time. In YTD, AMS is second airport now, but in the last 12-month, CDG will still be 2nd for some time.

I would not be surprised to see CDG drop out of top 10 worldwide in the next 5 years and europe top 10 in 15 years.
I don't think so. FCO and UK airports are growing very slow. Spanish airports are slowing their pace. Catalan crisis is not ended, as a Spanish national and resident I see that there will be bigger clashes in the next years than there were in October, and in October and November, BCN was really afected. Russia and Turkey are unpredictable, even if IST seems clearly going to overpass CDG and SVO is growing really fast, we don't know what is going to happen in this countries during the next years. Erdogan and Putin will have to get old one day.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Spanish statistics datas of July has been published this morning for all the AENA airports in Spain (this means all the important spanish airports and most of the non importants):

PDF
Try this link if the previous one doesn't work:
Access from the website.

As always, first page is monthly data, and second page is 2018 data. On each page, first column shows pax, second column shows operations and third column shows goods carried in tons.

With the summer holidays, lot of airports see decrease on their passengers. Tourism in Egypt, Tunisia and Turkey is recovering from next year, so less tourists are coming to Spanish coastal areas. All the airporst that show decreasement are located in sunny-beach places.

MAD and BCN continue growing:

ADOLFO SUÁREZ MADRID-BARAJAS (MAD) 5,532,261 (+8.7%).
BARCELONA-EL PRAT (BCN) 5,166,315 (+2.5%).

Both MAD and BCNs (and also third biggest airports, Majorca, PMI) have break their maximum records of a single month.

SVQ (Sevilla) and TFN (Tenerife-Norte) are one more time the spanish big or medium size airports with higher increasement (both of them over 20%).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Makes perfect sense with the number of runways it has as well as the added benefit of not having French overregulation and continuous strikes.
On the other hand, at AMS most of the time only 2 runways can be used simultaneously, because of the orientation of the runways.
And AMS has reached its maximum capacity, it cannot really grow anymore. In fact it is a miracle that 70 million passengers can use the airport that is designed for about 50 mio. pax.

Although during my holiday I spent some time at FRA, and now I understand why AMS is such a perfect airport.

·
Registered
922 Posts
On the other hand, at AMS most of the time only 2 runways can be used simultaneously, because of the orientation of the runways
Most of the time 3 runways are in use, and during peak periods 4. More than 4 is indeed impossible.

And AMS has reached its maximum capacity, it cannot really grow anymore. In fact it is a miracle that 70 million passengers can use the airport that is designed for about 50 mio. pax.
If AMS can handle 70 million people now they can definitely grow in a few years, because they're constructing a terminal and pier larger than the current ones at this moment.

https://news.schiphol.com/amsterdam-airport-schiphol-presents-new-terminal/

2941 - 2960 of 3609 Posts