SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Its a sleepy little town
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,15062021%5E2765,00.html

Airport train in line for another station
MARK ALEXANDER
24apr05

A THIRD station servicing the much-maligned Airtrain Citylink line could be built at Brisbane airport within three years following a major restructure of the service.

Brisbane Airport Corporation has confirmed it is in talks with Airtrain to build the station to service the huge business precinct being built at No. 1 Airport Drive.

BAC estimates 40,000 people – including aircraft maintenance, training, car rental, tourism and airline staff – could be working at the airport within 20 years, and the third stop will be needed to service the expected demand for regular transport.

Strong growth in passenger numbers flying in and out of Brisbane is also driving the need for better city links.

The first few years of the $220 million, four-year-old line's operation was dogged by alarmingly low patronage. This fuelled fears that the service would collapse.

However, passenger numbers are reported to have steadily improved.

The new station – there are already stops at the domestic and international terminals – is likely to straddle Airport Drive between the international terminal and Eagle Junction station and would cost at least $5 million to build. The double pylons to support an extra stop were built during Airtrain's original construction.

BAC spokesman Jim Carden said yesterday the station was part of a "broader blueprint" for airport transport services.

"We've sat down with Airtrain and had some meaningful discussions about the third site and how we can put it there," he said.

"The demand for ground transport out of Brisbane is significant. Given the growth, this station is absolutely part of our vision."

Airtrain Citylink this week announced it had finished a major financial restructure that "ensures the long-term viability" of the service.

General manager Martin Earp said the changes, combined with Brisbane's traffic problems, pointed to a strong future for the link: "The only way to avoid being caught in traffic when heading to the airport is to use Airtrain."
 

·
Registered Yooser
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
great news. It was coming though, and was already planned for the area. With a rail connection, one can only assume 1 airport drive is going to be a massive project.

But as per usual, I'm sure Tex will be here like clockwork complaining that somehow he's paying income tax(Is the dole considered income?) on our own infrastructure upgrades.
 

·
Its a sleepy little town
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol.

I assume after No.1 Airport Drive is complete the line will get more traffic than just people using the Airport.

The price may be brought down? and included in normal translink tickets?
Or at least brought down to similar prices.
 

·
Like whatever....
Joined
·
9,177 Posts
nikko said:
great news. It was coming though, and was already planned for the area. With a rail connection, one can only assume 1 airport drive is going to be a massive project.

But as per usual, I'm sure Tex will be here like clockwork complaining that somehow he's paying income tax(Is the dole considered income?) on our own infrastructure upgrades.
LOL - his not paying income tax. Have you seen the way he wrights, he's like 12 years old - or a bad product of that Mildura education system :runaway:

Anyway, I have been on the airtrain quite a few times when all the seats have been taken and people are standing - so its not as bad as they say.

jt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
That last image just shows the result of a shortage of IMU sets. That train is an SMU. The IMUs are considerably more comfortable than the SMUs.
 

·
Like whatever....
Joined
·
9,177 Posts
AG said:
That last image just shows the result of a shortage of IMU sets. That train is an SMU. The IMUs are considerably more comfortable than the SMUs.
LOL - you live in Adelaide and you know more about them than me. I only know that the doors don't 'pop out' on those type:) Also from a friend who has driven a train on the Gold Coast line those pictured above with the inset doors don't go as fast.

jt
 

·
Registered Yooser
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Wouldn't that have been a fun trip. GC<>Airport on an SMU :D

oh and JT, you're correct. The ones with the doors that 'pop out' (IMU) have a top speed of 110km/h the rest have a top speed of 100km/h. They do have a few SMU's(doors don't pop out) altered to travel faster to help with the shortfall of IMU's(they have a big 'HS' for 'high speed' on the front). But not to worry, by 2008 we'll have enough to meet demand :)

oh and is you're friend a driver?
 

·
Like whatever....
Joined
·
9,177 Posts
nikko said:
Wouldn't that have been a fun trip. GC<>Airport on an SMU :D

oh and JT, you're correct. The ones with the doors that 'pop out' (IMU) have a top speed of 110km/h the rest have a top speed of 100km/h. They do have a few SMU's(doors don't pop out) altered to travel faster to help with the shortfall of IMU's(they have a big 'HS' for 'high speed' on the front). But not to worry, by 2008 we'll have enough to meet demand :)

oh and is you're friend a driver?
He's a taxi driver - but he has a friend who is a train driver.

BTW - I thought the trains wen't faster than that. The ones with the black fronts go at 140kmh don't they?

Also when on the Gold Coast line the trains go much faster than the traffic - which usualy sits at 120km. Just wanted to know your thoughts.

jt
 

·
Registered Yooser
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
JayT said:
He's a taxi driver - but he has a friend who is a train driver.

BTW - I thought the trains wen't faster than that. The ones with the black fronts go at 140kmh don't they?

Also when on the Gold Coast line the trains go much faster than the traffic - which usualy sits at 120km. Just wanted to know your thoughts.

jt
It all depends. They do have maximum speed of 140kmh(IMU and SMU[HS]) but because drivers have to slow down going through stations, it usually only sees it for a breif period. I think the signposted speed is 120 for most of the GC line.
 

·
i've changed my mind
Joined
·
3,849 Posts
is there any chance of later down the track (no pun) of extending the line past the airport? is there anywhere for it to go? maybe looping round boondal and connecting to an existing line or going up to redcliffe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Danubis said:
is there any chance of later down the track (no pun) of extending the line past the airport? is there anywhere for it to go? maybe looping round boondal and connecting to an existing line or going up to redcliffe?
an extension may conflict with the second runway's alignment, unless the track from above ground goes....underground! just like simcity4 :)
 

·
D grade celebrity
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
QR Citytrain Fleet

QR Citytrain runs a fleet of modern air-conditioned electric trains.

All Citytrain trains delivered since 1994 include video surveillance and emergency communication systems to increase the safety and comfort of Citytrain passengers. Trains delivered before this time are being progressively fitted with these features.

The latest additions to the Citytrain fleet, the Suburban Multiple Units (SMUs), are equipped with the very latest in technology for safety and comfort. From the outside, passengers will notice the trains are more streamlined. New technology also ensures a smoother ride. Internally, lighting is easier on the eye and reconfigurations to seating and hand rail arrangements allow greater access for people in wheelchairs and parents with prams.

Trains running on longer routes, like the Gold and Sunshine Coast lines, are often fitted with luggage racks and toilet facilities (usually located behind the drivers cabin or near the guard's cabin). The table below outlines the trains in the Citytrain fleet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,874 Posts
I can confirm 110% that provision was made during initial construction for the third station. It will be located immediately to the south of Airport Drive and would stretch for up to 200m. The foundations for those few pylons directly next to the road were always intended to eventually carry the extra weight and loading of another station. I know this because I built the thing. (Not by myself though)
 

·
Captain Awesome
Joined
·
738 Posts
There was always plans for a commercial centre at Airport Drive combined with a third station since the inception of the Airtrain.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top