Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought i'd update you on the current situation of the airport & airline industry in countries of former Yugoslavia.

Only a few years ago, I would have felt embarassed making such a thread - the situation was dismal - but now things have changed a little bit. The overall traffic is slowly picking up, though it still has miles to go before the pre-1990's records are even reached.

There are some ~20 international airports in the region....here's a map showing their locations, the number of passengers they had in 2006 and the the year on year growth (compared to 2005):

Map by Steva :eek:kay:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SLOVENIA

Ljubljana "Jože Pučnik" Airport - reconstruction & expansion of the old Terminal 1 was just completed ahead of schedule.
4.000 square meters of usable space was added as well as four new air bridges - making Ljubljana's airport the third in the region to
recieve them, after Belgrade & Sarajevo. Will Zagreb or Skopje be the fourth?

Construction of the all-new Terminal 2 , which foresees 38.000 square meters more space will begin in 2008.

CROATIA

Pula Airport

Rijeka Airport

Zadar Airport

Split Airport

Dubrovnik Airport

Osijek Airport

Zagreb Airport - New masterplan foresees the construction of a brand new terminal building, beginning in 2008, which will
add 65.000 square meters of usable space to the current airport at a cost of ~200 million euros. With its 11 new airbridges, it
will be able to handle 3.5 million passengers annually.

BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA

Banja Luka Airport

Mostar Airport

Sarajevo Airport

MONTENEGRO

Podgorica Airport - The airport just recieved ACI Europe's award for best European airport under
one million passengers. Last year, the new terminal building was opened, at a cost of ~20 million euros.
The airport now has a capacity of one million annual passengers.

Tivat Airport

SERBIA

Pristina Airport

Nis "Constantine the Great" Airport

Belgrade "Nikola Tesla" Airport

MACEDONIA

Skopje "Alexander the Great" Airport

Ohrid ""St. Paul" Airport

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Airlines

In year 2006, the four largest airlines in the region transported more than 4.2 million passengers

Their fleets as of May/June 2007...

Adria Airways

Fleet: 17 aicraft

Airbus A320-231 x3
Boeing 737-500 x1
Boeing 737-4C9 x1

Bombardier CRJ-200 LR x 7
Bombardier CRJ-900 x 2
Saab 340 x 3 (CARGO)

Croatia Airlines

Fleet: 11 + 4 aicraft on order

Airbus A319-100 x4
Airbus A320-200 x4

ATR 42-300 x3
Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 x 4 (2) ORDERS

Dubrovnik Airlines

Fleet: 5

2 McDonnell Douglas MD-83
3 McDonnell Douglas MD-82

BH Airlines

Fleet: 2 + 2 on order

ATR 72-210 x 2
Airbus A319-100 x 2 (ORDER)

Montenegro Airlines

Fleet: 5

Fokker 100 x5

Jat Airways

Fleet: 15

ATR 72-202 x5
Boeing 737-300 x10

MAT Macedonian Airlines

Fleet: 3

Boeing 737-300 x1
Bombardier CRJ-900 x2

·
Banned
2,235 Posts
Great collection of pics and data KM!

:master:

I just wish that the situation in Macedonia was not as bad as it is. We had glorious times in the aviation business during the 90's. Hopefully things will soon pick up again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are real plans for the addition of another five or so new aiports until 2012-15....

- Slovenia's Maribor (Ryanair) & Portoroz (Jat Airways) airports have already opened up to international traffic

- Croatia may open up new airports to serve its growing tourism industry

- The goverment of Bosnia's political entity of Serb Republic has just announced plans for construction of a brand new airport near town of Trebinje, a project worth 300 million euros. It will compete directly with airports in Dubrovnik & Tivat.

- Serbia will open up at least two new airports over the next five years, most likely the ones in cities of Uzice & Kraljevo.

- Montenegro's transport ministry has plans to refurbish the existing airport at Berane/Ivangrad to serve that country's northern regions.

- Macedonia is interested in building a new airport , possibly near town of Strumica, to serve the country's eastern regions.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
You forgot do add 1B734 and 1 732 to the Jat fleet :D

And great thread :eek:kay:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Map of offered domestic/regional flights as of June 2007...might have missed one or two presently available flights.

Note: one still cannot fly between Serbia & Croatia nor Slovenia & Croatia. Mostly because of good existing highway links but partly because of politics as well.

·
Banned
2,235 Posts
Im surprised by the lack of BG-BL.

BG-ZG is also obvious, but I guess thats about politics like you said.

edit: what about that Tivat - Ohrid flight?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm hoping the BG-BL situation will change once "SkySrpska" starts flying later this/early next year:)
But realistically speaking, i'm afrad the market just doesn't exist, at least for now. Driving between Belgrade and Banja Luka/Zagreb is probably still the easiest and quickest form of transport.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Im surprised by the lack of BG-BL.

BG-ZG is also obvious, but I guess thats about politics like you said.

edit: what about that Tivat - Ohrid flight?
Next year Jat is prepearing to enter the Macedonian market with an introduction of a new flight from Ohrid to Dubai twice a week. (from May 2008 under current plans)

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
I'm hoping the BG-BL situation will change once "SkySrpska" starts flying later this/early next year:)
But realistically speaking, i'm afrad the market just doesn't exist, at least for now. Driving between Belgrade and Banja Luka/Zagreb is probably still the easiest and quickest form of transport.
I agree the profitability of flights Banja Luka - BEG are very low.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Cool (although I'm not sure about the logic behind this one)
Apparently to serve Macedonian Australians as they now have no airline from Australia (since Austrian has stopped flights). They have already got clearence from Macedonian civil aviation board (they were supposed to start flights this year but postponed it for next). Even this year there are immediate connections to Ohrid and Skopje when the plane from Dubai/Beirut lands in Belgrade.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I don't if it belongs in here, but Adria Airways is replacing their Boeing 737-500 on the Ljubljana-Manchester route with their new Bombardier CRJ-900 for the summer season.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.